Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

How's gladiator stance?

Gladiator stance is one of the biggest thing that I'm looking forward to with WoD. I know it'll probably change a few times before it releases, but I'm just curious! For the people on the alpha: how's gladiator stance looking? Is it fun? Is it fleshed out?

My writeup here.

It's a bit old, as it is from an earlier revision of the Alpha. The simulation numbers for example are way off now, though damage doesn't really matter anyways until much later on, when the final tuning passes happen.

Couple things not included in there;
    • Bonus Armor does work for Gladiators and is targeted to be their best DPS stat (although a rare stat as it is only found on a few pieces of gear).
    • Shield Charge has a longer CD now, for balancing reasons. Still able to maintain ~60% uptime on the buff vice a 80% uptime.
    • Shield Charge is actually a short range charge (like the primary ability), doesn't really do anything, since you'll still use the ability Charge to open; but it is fun and adds a bit of flavor.

All in all, the spec is pretty fun and I can't find too many flaws with it. I think if anything it is actually a bit overpowered since it is tuned around not having any DPS cooldowns, however its AoE talents are a bit weaker than those of Arms/Fury. Deep Wounds still ticks like a truck though, so its AoE overall isn't weak.
    Still like I said, a lot of tuning still to pass so I wouldn't worry about numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    How have the recent "only works in XXX stance" changes affected your view on Glad Stance, Arch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    How have the recent "only works in XXX stance" changes affected your view on Glad Stance, Arch?
    https://twitter.com/WatcherDev/status/480132278828294144

half answers it.

edit: other half could be that they're doing more spec specific spells and those ones are only for arms and fury. e.g. arms has its own execute and its own WW
    Last edited by Requiel; 2014-06-23 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Requiel View Post
    https://twitter.com/WatcherDev/status/480132278828294144

half answers it.

edit: other half could be that they're doing more spec specific spells and those ones are only for arms and fury. e.g. arms has its own execute and its own WW
    Pretty much that.

There is absolutely zero way the Stance changes, specifically utility requiring Defensive Stance, will go through unless A) It is specifically disabled for Gladiator, or B) They change Gladiator to allow the use of Defensive Stance.

Even then, I doubt the changes will go through. Tweet aside, the outcry from the Warrior community is far greater than the Water Shield or Army of the Dead removals, both of which were reverted.

Deleted
    I wonder how this will work in PvP as well, especially when flag carrying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenom View Post
    tuned to be as squishy as arms or fury so it would be safe to assume it doesn't get the extra damage buff while carrying a flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kenom View Post
    Blizzard seemed to imply they have something different in store for all tanks for pvp, so hard to say until they reveal their plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Blizzard seemed to imply they have something different in store for all tanks for pvp, so hard to say until they reveal their plans.
    Right, they confirmed we won't be able to tank much better than Arms/Fury.
    https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...55559678697472
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post
    Warriors are hereos that draw thier super human strength from thier relentless fury and thier unstoppeble willpower to fight on til the end of days.

I read bits and pieces on Gladiator stance around here and by digging through blue tweets, but still do not understand the actual purpose of the stance.

I.e. is it "just for fun and variety" addition (which it currently appears to be, imo), or would it serve some purpose, e.g. preferred stance for Arena and BGs?

What's special about it, apart from Shield Charge - which is just a new spell/ability, really, not doing anything REALLY NEW, or so I understood?

Maybe Arch could clarify. Thanks...

It is intended to be a fully functioning dps spec. You lose all of the benefits that allow you to tank (extra armor, crit immunity, and threat generation) and gain Shield Charge which allows your abilities to do competitive damage.

That is all it is really, its simply a way for Prot Warriors to turn into DPS Warriors and use the same abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    That is all it is really, its simply a way for Prot Warriors to turn into DPS Warriors and use the same abilities.
    Oh, okay, so it is a way to do DPS while being geared as Prot with all the bonus armor and stuff... Shame they are removing survivability then, otherwise that would be a solo spec in the hard-hitting mob areas too.

Makes total sense now. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/Archimtiros/stat...72746138947585

Basically sums it up. The spec is fun. It's very similar to Fury on live, but with easier procs (free HS and reset on SS) and a little more leeway in how to use Shield Charge (its version of Colossus Smash), though I personally dislike charge system abilities.
    It places less emphasis on using Heroic Strike, but the basics are all the same as Fury. Pool rage, dump with HS as needed, use Shield Charge, throw as many HS, SS, Revenge inside as you can and fill with Devastate as needed.

It is the best made DPS spec atm. Inc massive culling.

Oh yeah and the Icon is awesome.

i have a question about stance ...

Are gladiator stuck in GladStance while in combat ? meaning they won't be able to get 25% dammage reduction from DefStance if there is a big incoming dammage.

Same question for fury and Arms by the way. Arer they stuck in battle Stance in combat ?

thanks if someone in alpha can answer

yeah can't wait to try this out soon as i'm off work and can log into alpha!
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosnar View Post
    i have a question about stance ...

Are gladiator stuck in GladStance while in combat ? meaning they won't be able to get 25% dammage reduction from DefStance if there is a big incoming dammage.

Same question for fury and Arms by the way. Arer they stuck in battle Stance in combat ?

thanks if someone in alpha can answer
    Glads are stuck in Glad stance during combat yes. This is to stop them from tanking, since most tank benefits (unwavering sentinel and resolve) are tied to Defensive Stance. They lose the 25% mitigation from DStance but while Arms/Fury Wars have DbtS and DStance, Gladiators have Shield Wall and Last Stand (and Demo Shout but that is not quite as useful and weak), so it works out.

Fury and Arms can freely swap.

Glads are stuck in Glad stance during combat yes. This is to stop them from tanking, since most tank benefits (unwavering sentinel and resolve) are tied to Defensive Stance. They lose the 25% mitigation from DStance but while Arms/Fury Wars have DbtS and DStance, Gladiators have Shield Wall and Last Stand (and Demo Shout but that is not quite as useful and weak), so it works out.

Fury and Arms can freely swap.
    Thank you. all what i needed

What? FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Cyclonus-WOW; 2014-06-26 at 06:03 PM. Reason: THATS A FUCKIN SPARTAN HELMET FUCK YEAHHHHHH
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post
    Warriors are hereos that draw thier super human strength from thier relentless fury and thier unstoppeble willpower to fight on til the end of days.

Deleted
    Is it possible to use Shadowmeld and switch stances mid-combat? I haven't played since long ago, but i remember people speaking about unkillable druids and drinking during fights.