Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I just think that at this point, MS needs to embrace the fact that the XO does better at 900p (unless devs can actually get games to 1080p and not make a sacrifice in the FPS department) and focus more on giving gamers the smoothest possible experience that they can. Work with what you have, not with what your competition has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oraz4000 View Post
    He is right i would rather Destiny at 720p at 60fps then 1080p at 30fps.

Destiny beta especially MP was awful at 30fps.
    Preach! The framerate killed my overwhelming excitement for that game. I'll likely still get it and play it, but I just cannot understand WHY shooter devs don't mandate 60fps.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

I guess it's dependant on the game but for me 720p with higher framerate would likely be the better choice. But that's just me and I don't want to make such choices and this is exactly why I personally am sticking with PC, keeping that 1080p quality (with better graphic settings than the consoles can handle) while going at a lot higher framerates than 60. With a high refresh rate LED monitor it's just great.

Each to their own, right?

Deleted
    He's right but only because most console owners don't have a TV that's capable of running great resolutions smoothly. They know this because the average consumer has a TV at home that has a refresh rate of 100hz which makes a lot of difference and I'm pretty sure they follow all those trends. A huge bussiness like that can't afford to not know those things.

Sure if you have a 400hz refresh rate on your TV you will be able to tell the difference between those resolutions but your 100 won't be as effective on 1080p so a lower quality is a tad better in that case. Saying we're in year 2014 and consoles should be running thing most users won't have a chance to experience is the same as all the companies telling you to actually have a TV that won't have any trouble pulling the console's performance weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacomman View Post
    He's right but only because most console owners don't have a TV that's capable of running great resolutions smoothly. They know this because the average consumer has a TV at home that has a refresh rate of 100hz which makes a lot of difference and I'm pretty sure they follow all those trends. A huge bussiness like that can't afford to not know those things.

Sure if you have a 400hz refresh rate on your TV you will be able to tell the difference between those resolutions but your 100 won't be as effective on 1080p so a lower quality is a tad better in that case. Saying we're in year 2014 and consoles should be running thing most users won't have a chance to experience is the same as all the companies telling you to actually have a TV that won't have any trouble pulling the console's performance weight.
    Not sure where you are coming from with your statements, but a lot of people have at least 1080p/60Hz TVs at this point. And there are a lot of people with 1080p/120Hz or 240Hz TVs. The issue is that the new consoles are struggling to deliver games at the native resolutions and refresh rates that most TVs have nowadays (more so the XO, but the PS4 has been shown to struggle some as well). I can't figure out where you're coming from when you say things like "100Hz won't be as effective on 1080p so a lower quality is a tad better in that case" or "consoles should be running thing most users won't have a chance to experience". What??? Most people have 1080/60Hz TVs at the minimum, so that is what the consoles are trying to aim for. So if the consoles can pull it off, then those people will most definitely have a chance to experience it.

Your statement is kind of an incoherent mess :P. No offense.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-08-14 at 11:34 AM.

The problem isn't that 1080p looks "godly", its the matter of fact that it is pretty much the standard resolution in this day and age. A lot of us are transitioning to 1440p, and 4k has been a huge talk lately. If this new machine has a hard time performing in standard resolution and high frame rate, then expect criticism. I will be honest that looking at games like Destiny sticking with 30 frames per second, in favor of resolution is just sad in terms of gaming. Games should run smoothly, and I do agree that frame rate is more important than pixels. Games are interactive, and I expect them to run fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    A shame that new "current-gen" consoles are not able to keep the 1080p full hd @ 60 fps, maybe next-gen will be ready for it in 2016/17? Don´t even think about 2k/4k options for consoles, either too much heat or way to pricey

Quote Originally Posted by Yuna View Post
    A shame that new "current-gen" consoles are not able to keep the 1080p full hd @ 60 fps, maybe next-gen will be ready for it in 2016/17? Don´t even think about 2k/4k options for consoles, either too much heat or way to pricey
    Yeah, I think we're at the point where TV technology is far outpacing console technology. I would think and hope that the next consoles to come out could at least do 4K minimum, but there is a very good chance that will not happen. Unless they start charging really high prices for the consoles so they can put more powerful hardware in them.....at which point they start to lose their whole purpose of being a cheaper gaming alternative :S. Or unless we get some kind of groundbreaking graphics processing technology that allows future consoles to render higher resolutions a lot easier (and cheaper).

didnt they already achieve it on the xbox360 because I set the option to 1080p in the settings and the graphics improved dramatically on my hd tv.....

It's not something that really affects me. I don't have an Xbox One and I'm unlikely to buy one but when I do invest in a console or PC game I don't care all that much for the graphics - I care more for a solid story, memorable characters and interesting/enjoyable game mechanics. If the graphics are impressive then that's just an added bonus rather than a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    didnt they already achieve it on the xbox360 because I set the option to 1080p in the settings and the graphics improved dramatically on my hd tv.....
    I think that was just upscaling was it not? I'm pretty sure it wasn't true 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Yeah, I think we're at the point where TV technology is far outpacing console technology. I would think and hope that the next consoles to come out could at least do 4K minimum, but there is a very good chance that will not happen. Unless they start charging really high prices for the consoles so they can put more powerful hardware in them.....at which point they start to lose their whole purpose of being a cheaper gaming alternative :S. Or unless we get some kind of groundbreaking graphics processing technology that allows future consoles to render higher resolutions a lot easier (and cheaper).

whys that a 750gtx ti nvidia card cost like 120-150 so Im sure microsoft would get a deal from nvidia with the amount of consoles theyd need it for.

Deleted
    If I want 1080p 60fps games I'll play on PC. I only ever get consoles to play the exclusives and local multiplayer, especially since I have barely seen a single game that looks "next gen" to me on the new consoles.

No, the games on the 360 are not rendered at 1080p, they are just upscaled.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2014-08-14 at 11:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the statement in the OP is correct, it doesn't really matter if a game is 1080p, 1440p or 10000080p, I don't care if I can see the mites (microscopic insects) that live in the character's facial follicles, if the gameplay doesn't draw me in I'm probably not gonna finish it.

Graphics are cool, but when games are concerned, they are just the tip of the iceberg. People shouldn't really say if a console is good if it has better resolution than another, just because one renders at 900p and the other at 1080p.

Kinda like in 2002, when the Xbox was considered by some as better than the PS2 or the Gamecube just because it had a better processor by like 200 mhz or something.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-08-14 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    1080p is a couple of years old. Not being able to achieve it on a console is pretty awful imo.

Legit the ONLY thing a console has going for it, is exclusives and the ability to play multiplayer with others in the same room.
    Just wait till they remove that ability just to sell more units and say "Well this way developers can focus on increasing the online multiplayer experience"

whys that a 750gtx ti nvidia card cost like 120-150 so Im sure microsoft would get a deal from nvidia with the amount of consoles theyd need it for.
    The GTX 750ti came out to late to be in either console. And a 750ti would not be able to handle 4K resolutions. So what was the point of your reply in regards to what I said?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is not that 1080p is a magical solution, it's the fact that it's already become the standard resolution for most monitors and tv's already. Like others have posted, this isn't 2008 when 1080p was still like 300% the price of anything else, it's 2014 and by now any 'next-gen' console should have the capability to play games in 1080p without lag. If they don't, then what the fuck is next gen?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    The GTX 750ti came out to late to be in either console. And a 750ti would not be able to handle 4K resolutions. So what was the point of your reply in regards to what I said?
    \
    not talking about 4k were talking about 1080p resolutions. (4K resolution is a display device or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels....)

(1080p (aka Full HD/ FHD and BT.709) is a set of HDTV high-definition video modes characterized by 1080 horizontal lines of vertical resolution[1])
    see the difference...

Eh, that guy hurls a lot of shit out of his ass. Fuck Microsoft, fuck Xbox, and fuck Phil Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    Just wait till they remove that ability just to sell more units and say "Well this way developers can focus on increasing the online multiplayer experience"
    They've already been doing that with console games for years now. There were games on the 360/PS3 that basically required online play for you to have any kind of worthwhile multiplayer experience (or any experience at all). And there will continue to be games like that this gen as well. Hell, even some of the games coming out with "co-op" experiences require you to play the co-op online.

- - - Updated - - -

\
    not talking about 4k were talking about 1080p resolutions. (4K resolution is a display device or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels....)
    Your statement still made no sense in regards to what I was talking about.