Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I don't get why people feel like they need to maintain a subscription if they have nothing to do, I've played since end of vanilla and I regularly wind up taking three month breaks here and there, longest was half a year.

One of two things: Either sub free or the expansion itself should be free. People like to point at all the content in an expansion to justify the price, but they fail to take into account they'd get the same amount of content for just the sub price if there were NO expansions at all. They basically expect you to pay twice for the same content.

As for people who say you're paying for access to the servers: BULLSHIT. People pay a sub because it gives them access to new content.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    because $15 is OH so much to pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, man. It's optional. You wanna play, you pay. You dont wanna play, you don't pay.

What's the point here?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granda View Post
    I don't get why people feel like they need to maintain a subscription if they have nothing to do, I've played since end of vanilla and I regularly wind up taking three month breaks here and there, longest was half a year.
    God there are so many people I've met through these forums that are under the delusion that unsubbing, even for a very brief time, is supposed to be this big deal. The give the "I haven't unsubbed since 2004 bler bler" line then go on to say "Even if I'm not playing its only 15 bucks."

Dude, just unsub. Take a breather for a month or two. What's the problem? I don't get it.
    Last edited by Luko; 2014-08-15 at 04:34 PM.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

No.

They need revenue, people not willing to pay can unsub. It's a SMIDGE of cash each month so I'm not sure why people even consider it to be something to be upset about. Anyone can decide if he/she thinks it's worth spending cash on during content droughts, it's not something Blizzard should have to rule over. If you don't find the content worth paying for, then what difference would it make if it was free? You'd still not enjoy it for reasons...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    One of two things: Either sub free or the expansion itself should be free. People like to point at all the content in an expansion to justify the price, but they fail to take into account they'd get the same amount of content for just the sub price if there were NO expansions at all. They basically expect you to pay twice for the same content.

As for people who say you're paying for access to the servers: BULLSHIT. People pay a sub because it gives them access to new content.
    There's no new content atm, I play to access the content that is available. Not everyone gulps new content down and instantly stops enjoying the rest of the game.

So much for your "BULLSHIT" statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    I get plenty of new content for free in F2P mmos. The sub isn't paying for content, the sub is the price you pay for access to WoW's servers. I pay them because it's better than what I'm getting for free in other games, so I toss out a few dollars for better quality and enjoy myself more because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    How dare you suggest that Blizzard make less money for a while. The Blizzard Defense Force will show you the error of your ways.
    How many other companies offer full unfettered access to their product for free?

This is a retarded idea. Your making it Blizz fanboys vs others is just as dumb. Oh I disagree with derpy idea, guess I'm a Blizz defense force member!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    How dare you suggest that Blizzard make less money for a while. The Blizzard Defense Force will show you the error of your ways.
    And the Cry at everything Blizzard does Force will salute you.

10+ Year Old Account
    about the only adjustment i want to see really is, each expansion comes with a free month. something of a "pre~order bonus". it would not come with the expansion AFTER its release, with the exception of buying a battlechest. so basically: starting a new account? buy the full set, and get a free month. already have an existing account? pre~order and get a free month included with the expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Do you really think people that unsub would still play the game if they didn't have to pay? I think they unsub because they just don't have anything left to do.
    I would so totally play now and then if I didn't have to pay. Create an alt, do achievements, something. Just because I unsubbed it doesn't mean that I literally don't have anything to do, I just don't have anything to do that would warrant a monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    How many other companies offer full unfettered access to their product for free?
    Many do albeit usually for a limited time which in fairness to the OP he was suggesting that this would be limited to the down time in between expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    More of the problem is that Blizzard is justifying a flat fee and a subscription, rather than a down payment.

For the price of the game, you 30-days. Even though the cost of a game license is more than the subscription.

For the price of an expansion you get... nothing. Absolutely nothing.

You paying for the flat fee is equivalent to throwing free money at them, whereas the subscription is (supposed) to cover server and labor costs.

It's shady business practice and always has been.

As much as I hate China and S.Korea society (not people), they don't even let that shit fly.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    I get plenty of new content for free in F2P mmos.
    If they have microtransactions. If not, no you don't.

The sub isn't paying for content
    Yes, some portion of it obviously is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Which expansion had "nothing" in it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Which expansion had "nothing" in it?
    All of them, unless you bought a physical copy. I guess it has some paper and plastic in it.

Did you get free game time for buying an expansion?
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post

Do I really need to sit here and list of the F2P MMOs I've played over the years with access to all of their content without touching my wallet once? That's content I was receiving for free. The reason WoW (and others) are able to charge a fee is because they feel as though they offer something that you can't get anywhere else so they charge for their unique and superior service. The only way this would ever be proven wrong would be if people stopped subbing.

Only in the most petty and semantic driven of definitions would you be able to believe that they're charging for content. That would be like a nightclub saying they're charging you extra because the DJ has a good playlist. No, you're paying the cover charge at the door to get in, there's no guarantee that you'll like it once you're there. Wow charges for access to their servers only.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegalDanish View Post
    Yeah I'm sure some players love gaps but that doesn't excuse a complete lack of content...
    Which is fortunate because there isn't a complete lack of content.

There is just a lack of content you are interested in .... that is your choice.

- - - Updated - - -

If you get absolutely nothing in an expansion - then it is free, don't buy it and you get absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    Do I really need to sit here and list of the F2P MMOs I've played over the years with access to all of their content without touching my wallet once?
    No. You need to list the ones that did that without having any form of shop or microtransactions, because that's what I said?

Only in the most petty and semantic driven of definitions would you be able to believe that they're charging for content.
    Okay? That's not what I said they're doing. They're making revenue through microtransactions and using that to build new content.

Nobody makes games "for free."

15+ Year Old Account
    More of the problem is that Blizzard is justifying a flat fee and a subscription, rather than a down payment.

For the price of the game, you 30-days. Even though the cost of a game license is more than the subscription.

You paying for the flat fee is equivalent to throwing free money at them, whereas the subscription is (supposed) to cover server and labor costs.

It's shady business practice and always has been.

As much as I hate China and S.Korea society (not people), they don't even let that shit fly.
    China does that because anyone under 18 is limited to a few hours of video gaming per day. It's the anti addiction and fatigue system the government implemented. After a few hours of play your characters in online games don't gain exp, points, gold, etc. So companies were forced to provide a per hour system or be shut down.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222