Thread: WoW "2"

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Deleted
    tbh I think a WoW2 would be refreshing, make it so that it has nothing to do with the WoW we know today, but implement the basics and make it with todays graphics and so on.

But wasn't this the so called Titan project, that were put down?

Quote Originally Posted by dKrunz View Post
    tbh I think a WoW2 would be refreshing, make it so that it has nothing to do with the WoW we know today, but implement the basics and make it with todays graphics and so on.

By Today's Graphics, what exactly do you mean? We're getting new models that i'm pretty count as "today's graphics". Even if they had all the time in the world to update every single asset and texture in the game, it would still be stylized to look like it currently does.

Titan Project was also mentioned multiple times to be an entirely new IP that is NOT related in any way, shape or form to Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo, thus it cant be WoW2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

I don't really see the point, same world but just with an updated engine, updated graphics and new lore, I'd rather they just pump out more expansions then. It's not like it's going to happen anytime soon though, as heavily implied by the work they put into the updated character models.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks188 View Post
    Thoughts?
    There's no point to it.

First of all having two competing products out at the same time would just eat into profits of both which means there will never be WoW2 until WoW is officially dead and last server turned off.

Second thing is that all MMORPG sequels so far has been epic fails and Blizzard definitely doesn't want to join that club.

Depends on how it would work. If nothing transferred, id probably just move on. All my work, pets, mounts, achievements, titles and much more would just be gone. That would be pretty demotivating. However, like what was said, it would eat into the profits to have both running. WoW 2 won't happen as long as WoW is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    By Today's Graphics, what exactly do you mean? We're getting new models that i'm pretty count as "today's graphics". Even if they had all the time in the world to update every single asset and texture in the game, it would still be stylized to look like it currently does.

Titan Project was also mentioned multiple times to be an entirely new IP that is NOT related in any way, shape or form to Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo, thus it cant be WoW2.
    new models? dw guys don't worry about updating the graphics we've got NEW MODELS!!

it has nothing to do with the styling. the graphics of WoW are outdated as fuck, as in the engine is old and needs to be scrapped. WoW2 implies a new engine with impressive visuals even if the styling has similarities

Quote Originally Posted by dKrunz View Post

As chaoslux explained, titan had nothing to do with warcraft(or starcraft/diablo).
    It was also not put down, it was restarted because they didn't like how it turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

In a weird sort of way, WOD is WOW 2. Admittedly, I always thought of WOW 2 as bringing everyone back to level 1 with a new game engine, but letting existing players keep their achievements.

WOD essentially does this via the free 90 boost, however it sticks with the 10 year old game engine.

wod is wow2 in disguie no thats never going to happen but a new mmo non wow is coming for sure one day.

Well since theres an infinite amount of alternate universes in WoW and now we're only going into the first major one, i can see WoW 2 taking place in a complete alternate universe.

Deleted
    A mixture between Skyrim (not TESO, bleh) and WoW and I'm sold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you imagine the sub count when that shit released o.O
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Ill be honest, anything new WoW related, or Blizzard even, is awesome to me
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Quote Originally Posted by sanchoz View Post
    new models? dw guys don't worry about updating the graphics we've got NEW MODELS!!

it has nothing to do with the styling. the graphics of WoW are outdated as fuck, as in the engine is old and needs to be scrapped. WoW2 implies a new engine with impressive visuals even if the styling has similarities
    You don't know how engines works do you? Unlike some games out there that uses commercial engines, Blizzard owns the wow engine and modify it to match the needs of the development.

Programmers adds new feature to the engine > Update the wowedit tool for the developers.
    Developpers wants a new feature in wowedit >*Programmers update the engine to support said feature.
    etc...
    Yes, the engine's origins may be old, but its been updated every single patch.

If they made a new game, they would take the same engine and then modify it to match the needs of that new game. You don't just scrap an engine. That's not something that happens, especially if you own it.

"You have a 5 year old engine, make a new one"
    > Spend 5 years making new engine and updating all the game assets to match the new engine then release it.
    "GG your new engine is already 5 years old, wtf is this bullshit"

10+ Year Old Account
    We've been on the final tier of this expansion almost a whole year. It'll be 14 months when the expansion finally drops. The expansion before, it was what, 10 months? And iirc, ICC was out for very close to a year. How do people expect Blizzard to split the employees between WoW and WoW 2 and have it work out well? It wouldn't work. One or both would take huge hits in development time. And even then, I think most people would feel they'd invested way too much time into WoW to start playing a similar game where they're starting again from scratch. And I don't understand why people think they would ever willingly give up such a massively lucrative game and then put it on the backburner to focus on a sequel. I mean, sure, when WoW has dried up in 15 years, but until then, why would they ever boil the golden goose?

I think WoW 2 is just a dream. Sure, they've considered it, so what? They considered a dance studio, too. It's their job to brainstorm. I sincerely doubt the plans ever made it past conceptualization, if that.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2014-08-16 at 09:09 AM.
    Look! Words!

it needs significant work and not just 'model updates' that are essentially useless when the rest of the world looks like crap
    That's unrelated to the engine though. If the engine can support high-quality models but "the rest of the world look like crap", that's not an engine issue. That's a "Do you have any idea the amount of man-hours it would take to update the rest of the world?!"
    So on that point, WoW2 would already be there because there wouldnt be a world yet, so all new art designed for it would be already using all the engine's newest features.
    But at that point, it's about hiring new artist to make that game, when those artists could be added to the WoW pool.

so you're saying the world of warcraft engine in its current state is relevant for 2014?

and no I don't know how engines work, I don't program and don't ever plan to. I see what I see and compare it to what else is available and I know that WoW is outdated as shit visually. that's a fact
    What you're ranting about are totally unrelated issues. WoW and all Blizzard games are done in very cartoony style on purpose. It creates unique look and it stays timeless unlike any attempts at photorealism that will look shit in just 2-3 years. WoW's engine is not limiting the graphics quality (maps in MoP and WoD are proof of that), it's conscious decision in the art style you're complaining against.

You might just as well whine that Marvel should do their comic books with photographs and staged actors instead of hand-drawn panels, because that's the graphical difference between WoW and some dumb first person shooters like BF4.

I thought it was eventually figured out that Titan was actually for activision and had to do with Destiny? Or was that the dark below? o:

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    What you're ranting about are totally unrelated issues. WoW and all Blizzard games are done in very cartoony style on purpose. It creates unique look and it stays timeless unlike any attempts at photorealism that will look shit in just 2-3 years. WoW's engine is not limiting the graphics quality (maps in MoP and WoD are proof of that), it's conscious decision in the art style you're complaining against.

You might just as well whine that Marvel should do their comic books with photographs and staged actors instead of hand-drawn panels, because that's the graphical difference between WoW and some dumb first person shooters like BF4.
    my point--->

your head--->