Thread: WoW "2"

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    I still think that at some point they should do a warcraft 4, to make some large geopolitical changes to the world and allow for protagonists/antagonists and factions. RTS allows for bigger, world scale changes imo. After the world has been properly shook up we can jump into wow 2 where wc4 ended.
    No point. StarCraft is where Blizzard is focusing their RTS making since it's always been more popular of the two franchises in eSports circles. And besides whole RTS genre is pretty much dead and people moved to MOBAs so it's doubly no point.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    If wow 2 have better graphics then wow, then i'd say bring on the wow 2
    Aion, Age of Conan and FFXIV along others were supposed to be WoW killers because of better graphics and look where they are now.

Besides there's no need for "2" because graphics can be improved in expansions too, just compare Cata and WoD outdoor areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be down for a wow 2 if we could transfer our existing characters over, but at that point it isn't really a new game it's just the same game with updated graphics. Besides, if they pumped up the graphic requirements that much I think it'd be somewhat counter intuitive. While I have the disposable income to spend on a quality gaming rig I don't know how many of their millions of users do.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    I don't really see the point, same world but just with an updated engine, updated graphics and new lore, I'd rather they just pump out more expansions then. It's not like it's going to happen anytime soon though, as heavily implied by the work they put into the updated character models.
    Blizzard has a problem.

Put yourself into the shoes of a gamer who has never played an MMO before and who is looking at Blizzard's offering in this genre. Immediately there is a rather daunting prospect ahead of you.. the game already has 5 expansions and now has 100 levels. Is that putting off new players from trying WoW? I suspect it probably is. And the problem is only going to get worse as the cap goes to 110.. 120. And even current players are going to become frustrated because starting an alt becomes a marathon chore. It arguably already is one. And the % of the game world that players simply skip over becomes bigger and bigger.

Oh and the other problem is the WoW engine is dated. No amount of polish is going to hide that.

So what's the solution? They can either keep boosting, keep making the core of the game easier, keep skipping content. OR, they can start over in some way and reset.

Here's a theory. When Blizzard were developing Titan they all looked at each other one day and knew what they were all thinking.. just no one wanted to say it out loud. "This isn't Warcraft". I can imagine Chris Metzen making a big speech about how it's insanity to come up with a brand new IP when they have such a rich and well established IP already.. Warcraft. Why walk away from it?

So they decide to shift the Titan project away from the concept "Titan" world and make it their evolution to WoW... "WoW 2". They'll take all the lessons they've learnt in 10 years in WoW and put them into WoW 2 which will retain all the lore but will be an up to date engine and more importantly... Warcraft suddenly becomes attractive for NEW players again. Suddenly the world isn't daunting to enter because everything has reset. Everyone starts over. And the best bit? You get to explore all those epic moments.. all that epic lore.. all over again in a current age engine. And the entire experience is well polished because Blizzard has 10 years MMO development in their back pockets.

Is it risky? Absolutely. There is a good chance a lot of veteran WoW players will look at it and decide that's their cue to leave the game. But I suspect a lot of players will stick around because at the heart of it they love Warcraft.. they love what Blizzard does and they'll get a huge kick out of the idea of re-exploring the lore again.

Blizzard have an amazing IP in Warcraft and Blizzard are at their best when they talk up the lore and really shout about it. The WoD trailer shows what is possible. The people who lined up around the block to see it show what is possible. Only Blizzard can do that.

I think they could re-create Azeroth to have the same zones but much larger, make the graphics better than Teso, tweak the leveling experience so Mulgore for example isn't blown through in an hour. Everyone starts at level 1 with no achievements, mounts, or gear. I would play it. I bet other people would too.
    One Sweet Dream

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Here's a theory. When Blizzard were developing Titan they all looked at each other one day and knew what they were all thinking.. just no one wanted to say it out loud. "This isn't Warcraft". I can imagine Chris Metzen making a big speech about how it's insanity to come up with a brand new IP when they have such a rich and well established IP already.. Warcraft. Why walk away from it?

So they decide to shift the Titan project away from the concept "Titan" world and make it their evolution to WoW... "WoW 2". They'll take all the lessons they've learnt in 10 years in WoW and put them into WoW 2 which will retain all the lore but will be an up to date engine and more importantly... Warcraft suddenly becomes attractive for NEW players again. Suddenly the world isn't daunting to enter because everything has reset. Everyone starts over. And the best bit? You get to explore all those epic moments.. all that epic lore.. all over again in a current age engine. And the entire experience is well polished because Blizzard has 10 years MMO development in their back pockets.

Is it risky? Absolutely. There is a good chance a lot of veteran WoW players will look at it and decide that's their cue to leave the game. But I suspect a lot of players will stick around because at the heart of it they love Warcraft.. they love what Blizzard does and they'll get a huge kick out of the idea of re-exploring the lore again.

Blizzard have an amazing IP in Warcraft and Blizzard are at their best when they talk up the lore and really shout about it. The WoD trailer shows what is possible. The people who lined up around the block to see it show what is possible. Only Blizzard can do that.
    Exactly what I have been saying all along. You get it. You are right. The rest will see.

Blizzard can do this. And they will. It will be massive. The millions that have come in and out of this game over the years will all give it a go.

By the way, some people in this thread suggesting WOD is Wow2. It's really not. If you think that you will be super disappointed.

You guys should considers that WoW has graphics of its own, its not that blizzard dont want or cant make then look like ''today graphics''.

I like the WoW graphics because in some way, it stood loyal to WC3 graphics, which i loved. If Wow graphics ever get close to these PS4 graphics im pretty sure ill quit the next day after the update.

Quote Originally Posted by GerdaroThePandaren View Post
    You guys should considers that WoW has graphics of its own, its not that blizzard dont want or cant make then look like ''today graphics''.

I like the WoW graphics because in some way, it stood loyal to WC3 graphics, which i loved. If Wow graphics ever get close to these PS4 graphics im pretty sure ill quit the next day after the update.
    It has 2004 graphics with a few minor upgrades. If it's done right they can overhaul it and stay true to the theme.
    One Sweet Dream

Quote Originally Posted by pankind View Post
    It has 2004 graphics with a few minor upgrades. If it's done right they can overhaul it and stay true to the theme.
    Compare Elwynn Forest to Jade Forest.

New zones have 2014 graphics, but last time when they tried to overhaul anything (for Cataclysm) people complained.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Compare Elwynn Forest to Jade Forest.

New zones have 2014 graphics, but last time when they tried to overhaul anything (for Cataclysm) people complained.
    I like Jade Forrest and all but we aren't comparing WoW to WoW in the graphics discussion. That's apples to apples. If we want an overhaul done right it needs to be apples to oranges. Admittedly some people won't want oranges, but if this forum is evidence to anything it's that people will complain no matter what.
    One Sweet Dream

EQ2 did little more than poach players from EQ1 and compete with resources, harming both games in the process.

FF14 did a great deal of damage to FF11, was shit, and both games were harmed in the process.

WoW 2 is a terrible idea.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    Who at Blizzard is supposed to design this?
    How many years will it take?
    What happens to the current game during the years it takes to finish it?
    How does this make a game that's 12-15 years old by the time this is ready attractive to millions?

The problem is of course that a WoW II will be largely the same game we have now. Even if they did it they're not going to create something so strangely different that it will be like the revelation that the game was in 2005.

They've already got this huge team now trying to keep the current game stuck together (and perhaps not doing so well but the jury is still out for the future). They're going to hire another huge team to do this?

I can't see it no matter what Chilton says. This is not to say they won't plan something and call it WoW II someday but I'm betting right now that most people wouldn't see it that way. There aren't going to be two World of Warcraft subscription MMO's.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by GerdaroThePandaren View Post

The thing is, if a WOW 2 was made with exponentially better graphics, it still would look like a cartoon world. Just a much better cartoon world with the same simple and elegant forms and colors, but it would feel more and more like a cross between the Sons of the Storm's concept art and the art team's and a Pixar or Dreamworks movie. Like Brave, or Up, or How to Train Your Dragon.

To open the door to what WOW 2 would be, would need to be, could be, I could go write a brain numbing wall of philosophical text. But when "better graphics" are mentioned, it doesn't mean "more realistic". It means a sphere will look more like a sphere than an approximation using tiny anglular planes. It means something like possibly real time wind FX and flora that interacts with the weather and a world your character effects. Collision detection with your character's body and the actual world around you. Walking in sand, leaning into inclines, trudging through mud.

Look at what Everquest Next is doing, it's just amazing how ambitious they are.

Now look at what Blizzard does by rote. They look at the best gaming has to offer, and as gamers and geeks themselves they wonder "How would I make this cooler if I got to make the game I wanted to play?"

This is how WOW was created. The first MMO with a visually compelling painterly world evoking illustration principals oozing with atmosphere in every zone, every tree and boulder placed by the eye of an artist, that was totally unprecedented in 2004. And the movement mechanics felt fun and addictive, something you were more used to seeing in a Nintendo game or action RPG. Simple but smooth, fun to just run to the left and right and hop around. MMOs at the time had atrocious animations and a sense of movement, graphics were all basically made by people who weren't what I would call artists first, everything was kind of a token representation hinting at what the place looked like in your imagination.

WOW came along and looked more like a charming diorama than a random terrain generator some programmers automated with fancy lighting shaders and the same tree model used 100 times back to back.

The better the graphics get, the more they will look like a hand sculpted stylized puppet or living cartoon character. Equating the graphics with console generations is something people need to stop doing.

As for what would make WOW 2 justified, I think the only possible things to give a sense of direction here are things like Everquest Next and the Oculus Rift.

In the end, what we all want is a wardrobe with a doorway to Narnia(Azeroth) inside of it, or a holodeck.
    Be it a living world of third person avatars or a first person experience, both offer very novel approaches with the upcoming generation of augmented reality and virtual reality interfaces. How we interface with the game and how much we can personally interact with a simulated world, these are things I think it's worth exploring for the sake of hypotheticals.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-08-18 at 11:46 PM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    The thing is, if a WOW 2 was made with exponentially better graphics, it still would look like a cartoon world. Just a much better cartoon world with the same simple and elegant forms and colors, but it would feel more and more like a cross between the Sons of the Storm's concept art and the art team's and a Pixar or Dreamworks movie. Like Brave, or Up, or How to Train Your Dragon.

To open the door to what WOW 2 would be, would need to be, could be, I could go write a brain numbing wall of philosophical text. But when "better graphics" are mentioned, it doesn't mean "more realistic". It means a sphere will look more like a sphere than an approximation using tiny anglular planes. It means something like possibly real time wind FX and flora that interacts with the weather and a world your character effects.

Look at what Everquest Next is doing, it's just amazing how ambitious they are.
    Now look at what Blizzard does by rote. They look at he best gaming has to offer, and as gamers wonder "How would I make this cooler if I got to make the game I wanted to play?"

This is how WOW was created. The first MMO with a visually compelling painterly world evoking illustration principals oozing with atmosphere in every zone, every tree and boulder placed by the eye of an artist, that was totally unprecedented in 2004. And the movement mechanics felt fun and addictive, something you were more used to seeing in a Nintendo game or action RPG. Simple but smooth, fun to just run to the left and right and hop around. MMOs at the time had atrocious animations and a sense of movement, graphics were all basically made by people who weren't what I would call artists first, everything was kind of a token representation hinting at what the place looked like in your imagination.

WOW came along and looked more like a charming diorama than a random terrain generator some programmers automated with fancy lighting shaders and the same tree model used 100 times back to back.

The better the graphics get, the more they will look like a hand sculpted stylized puppet or living cartoon character. Equating the graphics with console generations is something people need to stop doing.
    And if they're planning on keeping the basic style/gameplay the same...it's not going to be a whole new game anyway, just an upgraded engine. And guess what they've been doing (one expansion at a time)? Upgrading the engine.

There will never be a "WOW 2" unless it is a totally new game. If you want to be technical, WOW 2 was Burning Crusade. WOD is WOW 6.

Quote Originally Posted by pankind View Post
    I think they could re-create Azeroth to have the same zones but much larger, make the graphics better than Teso, tweak the leveling experience so Mulgore for example isn't blown through in an hour. Everyone starts at level 1 with no achievements, mounts, or gear. I would play it. I bet other people would too.
    It won't happen, but the best way to start this would be .... when launching the upcoming movie.

But 15 months after WOD a new expansion that does a "reset" of things... ? I know Blizzard too well this is simply day dreaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Who at Blizzard is supposed to design this?
    How many years will it take?
    What happens to the current game during the years it takes to finish it?
    How does this make a game that's 12-15 years old by the time this is ready attractive to millions?

The problem is of course that a WoW II will be largely the same game we have now. Even if they did it they're not going to create something so strangely different that it will be like the revelation that the game was in 2005.

They've already got this huge team now trying to keep the current game stuck together (and perhaps not doing so well but the jury is still out for the future). They're going to hire another huge team to do this?

I can't see it no matter what Chilton says. This is not to say they won't plan something and call it WoW II someday but I'm betting right now that most people wouldn't see it that way. There aren't going to be two World of Warcraft subscription MMO's.
    Unfortunately, they almost don't seem to have a choice.

If you were to look at their games outside of WoW, neither of them bring in the kind of money WoW does. Any MMO they put out, will also suffer from just plain old not being Warcraft. It's not going to have the appeal, lore, polish, established playerbase, etc.

It will flop. So they're kind of forced to perpetuate WoW, which at this rate won't be that much longer if the sub losses go unchecked, or make a WoW 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    And if they're planning on keeping the basic style/gameplay the same...it's not going to be a whole new game anyway, just an upgraded engine. And guess what they've been doing (one expansion at a time)? Upgrading the engine.

There will never be a "WOW 2" unless it is a totally new game. If you want to be technical, WOW 2 was Burning Crusade. WOD is WOW 6.
    I think you're overlooking an entire universe of contextual spectrum here to explore in a very dismissive outlook. But it's always going to be true that what could be a new game could easily be presented as an expansion. It would take something like a paradigm shift in the genre to justify WOW 2, and it's not something to talk about lightly, involving ambitions in simulated world design we are barely beginning to scratch the surface of were it to happen.
    I'm not arguing here that they should make a WOW 2, I'm exploring the idea of what it would be like and would need to happen for it to be more than a glorified expansion or "HD" remake.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    I think you're overlooking an entire universe of contextual spectrum here to explore in a very dismissive outlook. But it's always going to be true that what could be a new game could easily be presented as an expansion. It would take something like a paradigm shift in the genre to justify WOW 2, and it's not something to talk about lightly, involving ambitions in simulated world design we are barely beginning to scratch the surface of were it to happen.
    I'm not arguing here that they should make a WOW 2, I'm exploring the idea of what it would be like and would need to happen for it to be more than a glorified expansion or "HD" remake.
    If Blizzard does do a "WOW 2", it will be a revamp of the current game (perhaps with action-based abilities like ESO or something) and better graphics, but you can bet that it will be a continuation of WOW where we will get to keep our same characters and everything. Kinda like what they did for FFXIV when it changed to Realm Reborn.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    If wow 2 have better graphics then wow, then i'd say bring on the wow 2
    And with better graphics i mean like in black dessert and vindictus, among others :>
    I just looked at the two games you mentioned. Those graphics looks like shit. I mean, I see what they're going for... but at the same time, fantasy elements clashes with the art style that gives me the same feeling as seeing CGI in a movie.
    I would definitely stay on wow1 and start bitching that they're now splitting the ressources between a good and a terrible game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

When it comes to better graphics for WOW, I'd look at something more like Darksiders 1 and 2 and the quality of their digital sculptures. They would all make totally awesome statues or action figures on my desk, ya'll. No matter how good the graphics will ever get, they will always look like these guys's art, brought to life.

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/

Personally for lack of some more ambitious ideas, my ideal WOW would be a marriage of WOW with Tera and Darksiders.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    If Blizzard does do a "WOW 2", it will be a revamp of the current game (perhaps with action-based abilities like ESO or something) and better graphics, but you can bet that it will be a continuation of WOW where we will get to keep our same characters and everything. Kinda like what they did for FFXIV when it changed to Realm Reborn.
    I don't think I've disagreed with that or agreed, but I would agree, totally, it's something important to consider. WOW has always been the Elrith game for me. Elrith was the first character I ever made, my night elf warrior in December of 2004, and I see everything in this game sort of from his point of view. It's basically the Adventures of Elrith in the World of Warcraft. I would love to relive his beginning though with sufficient advancments to make it feel new and fresh but also familiar. The first time I played WOW in 3D it was a lot like that, and so was reexploring the world again with the new lighting SSAO FX of MOP making everything feel more alive. And so will the new character models now with their nuanced animations and updated combat sound FX. And I had to use a kind of 3d that forced me to play in low resolution, I'd die to play again in a no ghosting perfect 3d WOW with my vision totally immersed in the world, peripheral vision completely wrapped up in the display, where I couldn't look anywhere without being inside the game, in 2560 x 1600 or 1080p to 4k resolution. (drool)
    A wandering young warrior, sheild on my back and sword on my hip, nothing but my pants and shirt and my boots for armor. Wandering the newly formed Teldrassil (after traveling there to leave my younger brother in the care of the Shadowglen Druids of Aldrassil of course )

But then, I could also see the world Blizzard talked about WOW exploring back in 2001, which was a kind of post apocalyptic future decades after WC3, now perhaps incorporating what an Azeroth would be like after the alternate timeline progresses from WOD, if we dont' destroy that entire parallel universe once we finish there.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-08-19 at 12:39 AM.

Wait a minute....

"That's not something we are going to for World of Warcraft, you know, maybe that's something for World of Warcraft 2 or something like that..."
    -Tom Chilton

This is from the current front page youtube-interview at around 5:50.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised he said that. I think they are definetly considering the idea. I'm hoping the x-pac after WoD goes out with a bang and paves the way for a new era. Too many mistakes have been made with the current wow - time to reboot! Lots of movies and games alike have done this with great success.