Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I still like levelling in most MMOs better then WoW, then once I hit max level they lose their charm and I never login again.

Deleted
    Nope, it did not. At all.

I don't think WoW had ruined other MMOs for me. Most MMOs just suck. GW2 is a good one, but it has an endgame approach that I just can't get into. WildStar coulda been great, but again the endgame is niche in the extreme. No other MMOs that I've played have been worth my time.

Nope, I enjoy a few other MMOs and am currently playing those.
    What WoW did do to me is make me incredibly bored (due to burn-out) of its specific sub-genre/type of MMO, and has made me hate its style of dead-fish quality combat.

Quote Originally Posted by ApeDosMil View Post
    SWTOR:...Ding max level... what do I do now? Nothing.
    See I never understood why people felt this way, and maybe someone could explain it to me. But once you ding max level in swtor, there are heroic dungeons, there is pvp, there are reputations to grind, and there are raids to do, there is gear and transmogs to be had. How exactly does equate to being nothing to do because its exactly the same thing a person would do once they hit max level in WoW. Now if people said they didn't enjoy the endgame I could understand that, but to say there is nothing to do just does not make sense.
    Last edited by Skarzog; 2014-08-17 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarzog View Post
    See I never understood why people felt this way, and maybe someone could explain it to me. But once you ding max level in swtor, there are heroic dungeons, there is pvp, there are reputations to grind, and there are raids to do. How exactly does not equate as nothing to do because its exactly the same thing a person would do once they hit max level in WoW. Now if people said they didn't enjoy the endgame I could understand that, but to say there is nothing to do just does not make sense.
    I usually find that unless the game tells them what to do, people are generally unable to find their own things to do even if there are hundreds of things to do. All in all, MMOs as a whole are on the upswing I feel - its just players have become too spoiled with easy low input/high output models in some games. They just don't have the desire to put in effort anymore for character growth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakhazaam View Post
    I usually find that unless the game tells them what to do, people are generally unable to find their own things to do even if there are hundreds of things to do. All in all, MMOs as a whole are on the upswing I feel - its just players have become too spoiled with easy low input/high output models in some games. They just don't have the desire to put in effort anymore for character growth.
    Is this your own personal experience or who are these people you speak of? Are gamers spoiled by engaging content with rewards that fit the effort or are you trying to say that the effort of grinding a raid for one quest for weeks, to follow up with slightly different versions of that same quest that span that expansion's (for example) different tiers of raids to get a best in slot equip too easy? Generalizations are bad, and this thread will likely have many more.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it didn't. Guild Wars 2 is/was the successor for me after WoW. It got a lot of things right with its PVP and WvWvW content, leveling content, its dungeon 5 man (albeit, easy content after nerfs), its world content, and possibly its community interactions. To this day, it still upholds its values and does a damn well job at it. Love that game to death.

This whole thread is a joke. A lot of people go back to wow after realizing that the bug filled ridden MMO at release is nothing like the wow experience that has been extremely jaded with nostalgia and still search for it. Yet, I still think current WoW has ruined my love for old wow because no matter how many times whatever Blizzard does, they made such ridiculous choices that has always make me miss TBC wow more and more.

I appreciate Wildstar and Guild Wars 2, and I know Wildstar will eventually succeed once the months of bug and systems get fixed.
    Last edited by Kickbuttmario; 2014-08-17 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    .... and I know Wildstar will eventually succeed once the months of bug and systems get fixed.
    Forget it Mario. You only have ONE shot at the market and that's the launching month.

Once sunk, they never come back.

MMO's have no time to fix things. Wildstar is one of the MANY that failed to make the grade. In fact the older MMO's launched between 2007 and 2011 had more players as it were the high days of MMO play.

The free fall of subscription based MMO play started with the F2P transition of AD&D On line and Lotro and had an explosion with the SWTOR launch disaster.

Since that day (early 2012) everything crumbled to free to play except EVE and WoW in the West.

No one believes ESO and Wildstar have a fighting chance these days to survive as subscription based games.

No sales records, no presence in tracking tools, no followers or streamers on Twitch. It is as if these games were published 3 years ago already, while still being in their launching period...

Most people dabbed a litttle bit in them and then made their usual conclusions.

Most everyone will be back in time to jump into WOD, aka the reference.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-18 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Forget it Mario. You only have ONE shot at the market and that's the launching month.

Once sunk, they never come back.

MMO's have no time to fix things. Wildstar is one of the MANY that failed to make the grade. In fact the older MMO's launched between 2007 and 2011 had more players as it were the high days of MMO play.

The free fall of subscription based MMO play started with the F2P transition of AD&D On line and Lotro and had an explosion with the SWTOR launch disaster.

Since that day (early 2012) everything crumbled to free to play except EVE and WoW in the West.

No one believes ESO and Wildstar have a fighting chance these days to survive as subscription based games.

No sales records, no presence in tracking tools, no followers or streamers on Twitch. It is as if these games were published 3 years ago already, while still being in their launching period...

Most people dabbed a litttle bit in them and then made their usual conclusions.

Most everyone will be back in time to jump into WOD, aka the reference.
    I want to reply but I realized its a waste of time, considering you're the guy who never shuts up about guild wars 2 zones being instanced and you are the only one I see on these forums that never shut up about it.

And now you're using twitch or follower or streamer arguments <_<... Ughh.

No. The new generation of gamers have ruined MMO's for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. WoWs quality is just so big and they've had so many years and so much content to build upon. That and the movement in WoW is the best I've ever seen and played. Movement and animations are extremely important to me, which WoW succeeds at greatly.

Besides that, because I've played WoW for a relative long period (for me at least) everything has become repetitive. Thus, when I try playing a new MMO, heck even a singleplayer game, I can't stay focused because of how bored I get.

WoW ruined other MMO's for me in the sense that I've put so much time and effort into it, and it's a game where there can always be progress to be made, that any time spent on another game feels wasted.

Sure I could play a different MMO in a different universe totally different from WoW's, but I know that in the end, no MMO has the playerbase and the staying power that WoW does to even BOTHER with the time investment.

WoW is too big for the genre's own good. No MMO released will ever have the sheer amount of content WoW has because it has so many years under its belt, there is so much content and so much to do, with so many players, that no MMO will have the polish and scope as WoW.
    Last edited by The Ogdru Jahad; 2014-08-18 at 12:40 AM.

yup lol, leave my expectations for other mmos mega high when I play them and i just get disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    WoW ruined other MMO's for me in the sense that I've put so much time and effort into it, and it's a game where there can always be progress to be made, that any time spent on another game feels wasted.
    My advice, just as I look at this sort of argument. Not that I expect anyone to follow it but I can say it regardless. The sooner you stop stacking "so much time and effort into it", the better. Because the moment when you will stop, will most likely come anyway. And the longer you linger to that addiction, the harder it will get later to cut it loose and more regrets will await as "missed opportunities" keep stacking up. As long as you play a game and you feel that you are having fun from pure act of it, it's all fine. But as soon as you start to suspect that you play only because you don't want to "waste all that effort", it is time cut it right there with a heavy sharpened axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    My advice, just as I look at this sort of argument. Not that I expect anyone to follow it but I can say it regardless. The sooner you stop stacking "so much time and effort into it", the better. Because the moment when you will stop, will most likely come anyway. And the longer you linger to that addiction, the harder it will get later to cut it loose and more regrets will await as "missed opportunities" keep stacking up. As long as you play a game and you feel that you are having fun from pure act of it, it's all fine. But as soon as you start to suspect that you play only because you don't want to "waste all that effort", it is time cut it right there with a heavy sharpened axe.

I totally agree, I've actually been unsubbed for over a year, I resubbed maybe 2 weeks ago though to kill some time as summer dies down before college starts up again. And once it does, I won't be touching WoW again for a very very long time. I like to keep up to date though, see the changes in the game, follow the story etc, but I no longer put any serious time and effort into the game.

It's wise though to keep this in mind for those still playing, the game won't be forever, ween yourself off so when the time does come to put WoW down, you don't feel wholly silly for putting so much time in it.

no, wow hasn't ruined mmos for me

mmos in general have ruined them for me. I find mmos to be terrible games, all of them.

My biggest issue with most MMOs is responsiveness. When I push a button in WoW, it reacts immediately how I wanted to. THAT IS ALL I NEED FROM THE GAME gameplay wise. give me that level of responsiveness with Teras graphics and you could charge me a 40$ a month sub and i would happily throw my wallet at you. However it seems responsiveness is bottom of the list for most mmo releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    I want to reply but I realized its a waste of time, considering you're the guy who never shuts up about guild wars 2 zones being instanced and you are the only one I see on these forums that never shut up about it.

And now you're using twitch or follower or streamer arguments <_<... Ughh.
    Nothing he said in that post was really off base.

First impressions are not a new concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    I play pretty much every MMO in Beta and a lot on release, only MMO's that have ever held my interest past first month of Sub is SWTOR, RIFT and FFXIV.
    All others are horrible in regards to my personal feeling towards MMO's.
    I'm similar. I sub off and on to SWTOR and Rift, and I beta others. The most recent crop have been fairly bad (Elder Scrolls, Wildstar, ArcheAge), as much as I'm really liking ArcheAge this weekend, it being a 100% P2W game makes it's bright points a downer.

Wow is no better than SWTOR or Rift. Same grind, same dungeons and raids. Something like SWTOR has a better universe (subjective) and it has equal lore value. Rift, i love love love Rift, but.... as I've said a few times, I can only name two NPCs.

I've always seen WoW as a master thief. They haven't done anything for themselves, but jack things from other games and add them. Which is very, very smart. And as others have said, this is home for a lot of people. The volume and record of events.

I lost 300-400K kills from SWTOR and Rift due to server merges etc. Wow's server merge was masked as this linked servers thing, which is just fancy talk for server merging, because they see people like me bitch about having to rename toons, losing status etc in other games when they have to merge.

In this day and age, a new game has to be 100% on top of its game IN BETA, not launch, IN BETA, or else it will not hold people and start off with a strong base at launch. That's the sad truth of it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================