Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Everquest ruined it for me. Before that game, I was happy spending my time playing TFC/CS and the Warcraft series. Then I paid for a subscription to EQ, and all of a sudden I'm doing 12 hour Plane of Fear raids that sucked the life out of me, along with every expansion that followed. Then WoW came and did the same. Oh yeah, DAoC did the same as well. Damn them!

Not really, im not a fan of the mmo genre to begin with, i only started playing wow because of the lore and warcraft 3, but im not going to ever play any other mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    I totally agree, I've actually been unsubbed for over a year, I resubbed maybe 2 weeks ago though to kill some time as summer dies down before college starts up again. And once it does, I won't be touching WoW again for a very very long time. I like to keep up to date though, see the changes in the game, follow the story etc, but I no longer put any serious time and effort into the game.

It's wise though to keep this in mind for those still playing, the game won't be forever, ween yourself off so when the time does come to put WoW down, you don't feel wholly silly for putting so much time in it.
    You will see that other games don't give the solace you are searching for. WoW is more than a video game. Like some exclusive board games pass that invisible line of gaming as a preferred passing of time.

I had a full life of gaming and if I were to die today I would remember only a handful of epic games. The rest of my 500 board(war)games on my attic were just that: passings of time, not really memorable., not even close actually.

I regret now having copied endless tapes, disks back in the 80's and 90's to get access to the latest hyped games. We copied everything we could get our hands on. What a waste of time.

These days are better since people are far more critical and good games tend to last much longer than 7 hours or 7 days.

It is better to invest long term play in one game than jump every 10 hours to another short lived experience.

WoW spoiled all other games since 2006. Apart from the first 8 months in D3, I can't think of any other game worth playing like 500 days as in WoW.

You are right to warn people to play too hardcore in WoW, but frankly you'll soon realise that you will lack the motivation to play anything in the long run too.

It is not good to be addicted, but it is not good to be bored with other games or another non fulfilling hobby either.

Perhaps I am too old to change, but 40 years of gaming says nothing came even close to the long term fun I had/have with playing WoW.

I'll limit myself to 3 epic activities as a hobby: my race history as a young cyclist, me playing the War in the East board wargame for 3 months at 6 hours a day in 1979 ... and playing WoW for 8 years now.

So with thousands of other games tried and played, I think it is better to stick with one main game to play. Much more satisfying in the long run. You may dab a little in other games, but going for the long haul is always more fulfilling.

Perhaps there will be another game to come forward, but I doubt it will be equally played by me. In any case WoW will out live my biological time on earth anyway.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-18 at 01:09 PM.

Not really, WoW is just where all my friends are. I played swtor on and off for 2 years but the game itself wasn't that great. I still play ffxiv too.