Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by playergt View Post
    Except Tom Chilton just said in an interview that they've been talking A LOT about the possibility for years now, but first they need to figure out how to go about it.

Do you really think they will let WoW slowly die forever when they would basically break the market if they came out with a new generation MMO called World of Warcraft 2?

It won't happen anytime soon, but it will happen FOR SURE.
    yeah theyve talked about it, of course theyve talked about it. wow is the most profitable video game OF ALL TIME. only idiots wouldnt talk about it.

however theyve said time and time again that wow 2 would essentially be worthless and until wow has run its course its not really a good idea and they arent gonna do it.

history has shown that mmo sequels just dont work out well, they cannibalize their playerbase splitting it between two products essentially doubling production costs and time with little profit.

mmos also take a VERY long time to make.

wow still has 6 million subscribers and its still making roughly the same amount of money it was back when it had 12 million subscribers because most of the lost subscribers were from china and the cash shop has made them millions.

will there eventually be a wow 2?

yes, when wow 1 is on its last legs and is dying. if they even want to make a wow 2. maybe they will want to make warcraft 4 at that point. wow is the most profitable game of all time, thats like asking is there gonna be another pokemon game? of course there is pokemon is the 2nd best selling video game franchise of all time.

however speculating about a wow 2 at this point in time is pointless and stupid
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I imagine how they evolve the story wouldn't be much different from how they evolve it in an expack. I mean even now they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want. I mean time traveling and rewriting history... There may be reasons they someday decide to do a sequel perhaps for technical reasons(if they really want to build the game for fast updates and newer tech they probably need to design an engine from the ground up based on their needs), however story would not be a reason to do another expack and they already don't let the story hold them back, they just spit out whatever brain fart comes to mind as it is. The current godlike status of players in WoW now as levels get more and more ridiculous might be another reason to do it. They could always have the legion come in and destroy the world with remnants of the races escaping through a portal to a new world, allowing them to essentially rest all players to 0 and starting again from scratch. Or they could just keep on squishing every expack. There is no real necessity for a WoW 2, but they may decide they want to for a variety of reasons. As far as story goes they will continue to shoot from the hip and make it up as they go, they have already said story isn't important and their main focus is gameplay gameplay gameplay.

Deleted
    If they ever made WoW2, I think they should just start from the beginning and not include furries again and otherwise just stick with the traditional races more or less.. orcs, humans, elves, dwarves, undead maybe, thats enough. I mean look at the WoD trailer. This is what WoW is supposed to be like and not talking panda bears and cows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether people consider it an expansion or otherwise, Warlords is probably as close to WoW II as we'll ever see.

- New character models.
    - Skill resets and excess abilities removed.
    - Numbers reset
    - Raid structure reset extensively.
    - Ability to start with the expansion without leveling to 90 first.

All of that smacks of an extensive game reset especially the last one. So they talk about it. I'm sure they talk about lots of things. I'll say this for Chilton though. Loose talk is going to come back to haunt them.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-08-16 at 04:06 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    There won't be a WoW2, there would be no point.
    They even put Titan back on the shelf because of how much of a runaway train of success WoW is. Sent the whole thing back to start because it couldn't stand against their current MMO... Not to mention, there is nothing that is so hard coded into WoW that they dislike and are unable to change that would warrant a sequel. That's the reason that companies make sequels to MMO's, because the mechanics became so outdated that they couldn't adapt any further to the needs of the community, and the only way to fix the problem would be to rebuild the engine from scratch. Blizzard has shown that they can pretty much change anything they want and still make the game function, therefore there is no need to start from scratch.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    yeah theyve talked about it, of course theyve talked about it. wow is the most profitable video game OF ALL TIME. only idiots wouldnt talk about it.

however theyve said time and time again that wow 2 would essentially be worthless and until wow has run its course its not really a good idea and they arent gonna do it.

history has shown that mmo sequels just dont work out well, they cannibalize their playerbase splitting it between two products essentially doubling production costs and time with little profit.

mmos also take a VERY long time to make.

wow still has 6 million subscribers and its still making roughly the same amount of money it was back when it had 12 million subscribers because most of the lost subscribers were from china and the cash shop has made them millions.

will there eventually be a wow 2?

yes, when wow 1 is on its last legs and is dying. if they even want to make a wow 2. maybe they will want to make warcraft 4 at that point. wow is the most profitable game of all time, thats like asking is there gonna be another pokemon game? of course there is pokemon is the 2nd best selling video game franchise of all time.

however speculating about a wow 2 at this point in time is pointless and stupid
    That's... exactly what I said! The guy I quoted was saying there won't EVER be a WoW 2.

That said, mmo sequels DO work out well, as Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV:ARR have shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I've yet to hear someone explain how WoW 2 would be anything but a huge waste of resources. This is why we have expansions
    How else are they gonna fix the backpack dude...

But seriously it would just be an opportunity to clean up a lot of bullshit that got piled onto wow over the years. And prevent them from having to continue to squish every single xpac since we're now going to repeatedly hit the wall of max HP the servers can process.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I've yet to hear someone explain how WoW 2 would be anything but a huge waste of resources. This is why we have expansions
    No it's not. WoW engine is very old, you can't make it do new stuff, no matter how hard you try. For example they can't get rid of hitboxes. You can't target the limbs of large monsters, they can't make the fights more cinematic like in newer games. The engine has other shortcomings too. They could use WoW 2 to scale up the zones, make bigger cities, player housing etc. dynamic events, feather effects like tornadoes.

I mean why make new games at all if you feel that way, they could just bump up expansions and we'd be playing Tetris expansion 500: Wrath of the 4 square pole now..