Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ok this is really starting to **** me off. (Next Gen Games Vs Old Gen Games Rant)

Ok I'm wondering if anyone feels the sameway I do. I got me a Ps4 and soon will have a XboxOne/Wii-U and what is annoying me is games coming out for both last gen and next gen but yet the next gen is costing anywhere from $10 to $20 more.

The only reason they are doing this is because "Well it has a shinnyer coat of paint and runs better" By now any game going to both gens is ether originally made for next gen then downscaled or made for last gen and upscaled without much work needing to be done.

Examples of games doing this.
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse/plays...on,28-xu0,138d "Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition $40 Ps3"
    http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/di...edition/115031 "Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition $60 ps4"

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/pl...warfare/115290 "Plants Vs Zombies Guarden Warfare $30 Ps3"
    http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/pl...warfare/115289 "Plants Vs Zombies Guarden Warfare $40 Ps4"

These are just some examples of games doing this. You would think because the playerbase is smaller on new gen vs old they wouldn't price hike. In fact you would think they would some deals/dlc crap just to try to sell it on the new gen more.

Don't get me wrong I know I am apart of the problem because ill still buy some of these games even tho last gen is cheaper. But its just fucken annoying they are doing this just because "IT NEW HARDWARE IT RUN BETTER AND LOOK BETTER DAR DAR DAR"

So dose this bug anyone else at all? Even unknow companys have done this like Majesco/Spider Studios.
    http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/bound-by-flame/114155 "Bound By Flame Ps4 $50"
    http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/bound-by-flame/114156 "Bound By flame Ps3 $40"

Some games shouldn't even cost near full retail price or over $30 in my opinion. Like Plants Vs Zombies Guarden Warfare. It has been on PC and XboxOne for almost if not over half a year and yet its coming to Ps4/Ps3 at its new released price from then. Not trying to sound like I am hating on XboxOne both systems are having this happen I just pulled ps4 links.

Sorry for the long rant but dose this bug anyone else who games on console?

"To Be Clear I don't give two shits about PC sells and all please keep PC comments out of this thread. It is about Last Gen and New Gen consoles not steam sells"
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

That is why I don't play consoles and usually stick to MMOs or F2P games. The prices keep going up and up and up to the point I can't justify buying the games unless they are sale. Even my 3ds is better in terms of price. Its games are at a solid 40$ and they don't have any DLC I have to pay for. The prices in general for consoles bug me. However, I can see your point. That being said, I would suspect that they have to do a bit more work on a game that is going to a ps4 rather then the ps3 since it has to run at higher graphics with no lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    That is why I don't play consoles and usually stick to MMOs or F2P games. The prices keep going up and up and up to the point I can't justify buying them games unless they are sale. Even my 3ds is better in terms of price. Its games are at a solid 40$ and they don't have any DLC I have to pay for. The prices in general for consoles bug me. However, I can see your point. That being said, I would suspect that they have to do a bit more work on a game that is going to a ps4 rather then the ps3 since it has to run at higher graphics with no lag.
    Now I am not Software/Game Developer but wouldn't it be slightly harder to make a game for Xbox360/Ps3 then new gen since new gen is more like pc's.

I don't mind paying $60 for a title but if the last gen version is $40 and the difference is fps/XXXP and it only looks slightly better. Its hard to be ok its totally worth $10-$20 more.

Handhelds have always had amazing bang for the buck I have got to agree. I miss my 3DS going to get a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It costs more because it runs on the latest console hardware. That is literally it. Obviously an older platform will have games that cost less.
    Will also have games that cost the same like most AAA titles. The thing is the install base is a LOT smaller on new gen over old. So why price hike when its just going to push them to buy the last gen version.

Like I said as well I would get it if the difference is Night and Day but on a lot of these titles it isn't.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-08-16 at 10:28 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Jt. It is much easier to develop for hardware you've had 5+ years experience working with, than with newer hardware that you're still learning to get the most of.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Now I am not Software/Game Developer but wouldn't it be slightly harder to make a game for Xbox360/Ps3 then new gen since new gen is more like pc's.

I don't mind paying $60 for a title but if the last gen version is $40 and the difference is fps/XXXP and it only looks slightly better. Its hard to be ok its totally worth $10-$20 more.

Handhelds have always had amazing bang for the buck I have got to agree. I miss my 3DS going to get a new one.
    I dunno software at all. That is just what I would figure. Over all the prices are just bad for consoles imo and then they toss DLC on top of it. Sure, you can enjoy the game without it, but there are some that would make it more fun. Then there are games where the dlc really feels like it was a part of the game, but removed to get more money.

I have always had a hand held. Combined with a PC my ps3 doesn't get as much use gaming wise until the games I want are on sale for 20$ or I get them as a gift. I am considering a Wii U as well since I love the titles for Nintendo. My major downside is the price of new controllers though if I ever want to play with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    No, Jt. It is much easier to develop for hardware you've had 5+ years experience working with, than with newer hardware that you're still learning to get the most of.
    True I didn't take that into account.

But is upscaling the game and adding a few extra shadows justfie that extra cost? I mean ya Assassin's Creed Unity looks well worth $60 if you base it on graphics and all. But Plants Vs Zombies Guarden Warfare and D3 costing more then last gen when it looks like there isn't a huge difference is just annoying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Im sure the prices wont go down though. I am sure they will stay at these prices for new games on the ps4 and xbox1 even after they are more familiar with it.

Newer consoles or "remakes" will have their games costing full price or more most of the time. It's nothing new really. It is annoying, but that is why if I do decide to get a console it is far cheaper than release.

If I really want to play a game when it is new I'll shell out, but I'll usually get it on PC unless the controls are clunky. I tend to wait even on 2/3 of the stuff I might want to play. As it is I already have a backlog of games, just a matter of interest and time.

OT: "New"est consoles are shiny and regarded as current. This means all the games will cost more because supposedly (usually) more advanced games can be made for those. The transition from last gen to new gen is pretty crap though. Pay upwards of $20 to get something that might look more HD.

I feel you OP, but if I play console games it is usually old gen due to game quality (imo) and moreso pricing.
    Stay salty my friends.

I am considering a Wii U as well since I love the titles for Nintendo. My major downside is the price of new controllers though if I ever want to play with a friend.
    Sell I felt Nintendo is the only ones who did it right. All Wii games cost $50 no matter how awesome they looked or even if its a big title like Zelda. Now there Wii-U games are costing $60 but you can really see at lease for graphics its worth it. MK8 looks fucken amazing even tho its on old hardware.

Its like I said many times Nintendo knows how to make old hardware games look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    OT: "New"est consoles are shiny and regarded as current. This means all the games will cost more because supposedly (usually) more advanced games can be made for those. The transition from last gen to new gen is pretty crap though. Pay upwards of $20 to get something that might look more HD.

I feel you OP, but if I play console games it is usually old gen due to game quality (imo) and moreso pricing.
    Its like I said I don't mind paying $60. To me some games is well worth it and if I don't feel it is I won't or if I buy it then I decide it wasn't ill resell it myself and take a $10 loss.

But D3 and Plants Vs Zombies and Bound By Flame. These games here in my opinion should not cost more on new gen nor near retail price. ROS has been out for a year and people kinda feel shafted they got to pay $40 for ROS "Even tho thats the PC xpac cost" But $60 for it because it has original D3 tied to it.... Thats just a slap in the fact in my opinion.

Console problems, heh. I'm sorry, but all the nasty corporate practices people complain about are sort of purified in to the console market. You buy a console, you get bent over the milking machine, it's just how it is. Every little shady tactic they can do for money they will.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

It is annoying, but it's not a new trend. PS2 games used to run for $50 at launch. It wasn't until PS3 that we really saw the $60 price point become standard. They say it has to do with higher development costs, and while I'm sure that's at least partly true, I think that's also partly a smokescreen to "we charge more because we can".

Things like install base and overall differences between console version just don't matter. It is literally just because the hardware is new. It's like DVDs and blu-rays... the DVD version of a new movie can be half the cost of that new movie on blu-ray. Simply because it is newer technology and offers better quality.
    I know but my point is if the quailty is barely a difference "Like in Plants Vs Zombies" is it worth the price hike. I personally don't think it is.

The only difference is a few extra effects better shadows and fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Sell I felt Nintendo is the only ones who did it right. All Wii games cost $50 no matter how awesome they looked or even if its a big title like Zelda. Now there Wii-U games are costing $60 but you can really see at lease for graphics its worth it. MK8 looks fucken amazing even tho its on old hardware.

Its like I said many times Nintendo knows how to make old hardware games look amazing.
    Im sure their monopoly on the hand held gaming market has a lot to do with their game prices. I mean, pokemon x/y hit and that sold a Ton of games and systems. People like my gf bought a 3ds just for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    They say it has to do with higher development costs, and while I'm sure that's at least partly true, I think that's also partly a smokescreen to "we charge more because we can".
    I agree.

The Jump from Ps2 to Ps3 "Xbox to Xbox 360" tho was fucken massive and it showed even in shitty titles like Perfect Dark Zero. But so far games that is on both gens barely show a difference. I think the only ones that have showed a major difference is Assassin's Creed Black flag and Watch Dogs. Both costing $60 for both systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Im sure their monopoly on the hand held gaming market has a lot to do with their game prices. I mean, pokemon x/y hit and that sold a Ton of games and systems. People like my gf bought a 3ds just for that game.
    I bought a 3DS for Zelda ALBW and Pokemon X/Y. Was kinda sad how much Pokemon X/Y lacked tho but overall still a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Or you can wait for the price to inevitably drop on games. If they're coming out now they'll be on sale, typically at 50%, come the holidays.
    True or wait a couple weeks mite go on sell.

- - - Updated - - -

When there isn't much graphical difference, it just comes down to the fact it is on new hardware. It really is just that simple, tbh.
    True but they have had at lease a year to play with the hardware. I guess as long as games don't go above the current $60 price tag I can't bitch about it. Its just annoying tho.

Newer hardware to learn, higher fidelity resources to create (more polygon models, higher resolution textures etc.) and a smaller pool of potential customers to recoup the cost.

Plus the price can be used to make a perception of a more substantial purchase, if PS4/XB1 games were the same price as those on the PS3/360 people might think the upgrades aren't worth anything.

As far as I'm concerned, If you bought a game, it should be playable on any platform of your choosing (if it's available on the given platform).. That would never happen ofc, but still...

Wow, talk about white girl problems. You're about to have BOTH new systems and you're bitching about $20 differences?

You're a damned diva.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
    Wow, talk about white girl problems. You're about to have BOTH new systems and you're bitching about $20 differences?

You're a damned diva.
    Ya I plan on getting a XboxOne but it isn't set in stone yet. I also own a Ps3. Dose not change the fact I don't like the price difference. For some games I feel its worth it but for some like PvZ I don't think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, If you bought a game, it should be playable on any platform of your choosing (if it's available on the given platform).. That would never happen ofc, but still...
    Or at lease last gen on new gen like ps3 on ps4. But thats a feature that dosen't bug me to much since I own both platforms.