Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

"Without throwing anyone under the bus..."

Interesting twitter exchange with GC.

https://twitter.com/OccupyGStreet/st...53389422469120
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So somebody told him to stay off the forums because he was a lightning rod for criticism?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Has happened before, Bashiok being an example, I think he was moved from WoW to Diablo then back to WoW.

Honestly I am not sure what we're supposed to be looking at and I don't think it is any surprise that Ghostcrawler did not have the final say in how they communicate with players.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Has happened before, Bashiok being an example, I think he was moved from WoW to Diablo then back to WoW.
    In fairness Bashiok should be kept as far away from the forums as possible.

GC's style of communication and point of view was, at times, hurting the game and the community and the company he worked for.

Employees don't have a right to say whatever they want to whomever they want regarding their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    In fairness Bashiok should be kept as far away from the forums as possible.
    And then there's Zarhym during his max-attention-whore days.

Quote Originally Posted by Didacticus Syntacticus View Post
    GC's style of communication and point of view was, at times, hurting the game and the community and the company he worked for.

Employees don't have a right to say whatever they want to whomever they want regarding their work.
    I think you are being a little unfair on him, I feel that at times he had win arguments where it would probably have been better to say nothing but overall his online presence was a positive for both Blizzard and WOW. You only have to look at how badly some of the devs that have tried to take his place on twitter since his departure communicate with players to see what a good job he did. And I doubt he really wanted to be the author of the Heroics are Hard blog.

Deleted
    I am a bit lost on what he is hinting at. Is he trying to say that his reduced communication and feedback via forums led to all those problems with Cata?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    I am a bit lost on what he is hinting at. Is he trying to say that his reduced communication and feedback via forums led to all those problems with Cata?
    No, he is trying to say he was told to reduce his communication because the higher ups thought he was hurting more than he was helping by being so open.

Sig by Isilrien

Cata had massively exaggerated problems. Dragon Soul was the only problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of Cataclysm's problems were because of Blizzard listening to the community too much.

I loved his food analogies. Such as the one where he claimed that you cant barge on the forums and start insulting the devs and then protecting yourself behind either Customer is Always Right (which is nothing but a PR Stunt) or Freedom of Speech (which does NOT apply on a privately-owned forum) by saying that if you storm a chef's kitchen and start insulting them, they wont bow down saying "The Customer is Right!". oh no, they'll throw your ass out of their restaurant faster than you can even say that line and ask you to never return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

You can't give an honest appraisal of what anybody is doing when you're clouded by emotion. Nobody is attention whoring. But when you don't like something, you look for a giant, negative stamp to put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    No, he is trying to say he was told to reduce his communication because the higher ups thought he was hurting more than he was helping by being so open.
    I doubt this was the case if they wanted him to reduce the communication with the players they would not have allowed him to continue to do so with Twitter.

I personally prefer when CMs acts like normal people and want to have fun than when they act like robotic slaves "We have heard your feedback. Thank You. Have a Good Day"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayhos View Post
    A lot of Cataclysm's problems were because of Blizzard listening to the community too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    I meant this part:

"I've always wondered- why did you take the decision to maintain a reduced forum presence in Cataclyam, compared to Wrath?"

"Without throwing anyone under the bus, let's just say it wasn't my choice. I think the results speak for themselves."

Meaning results of Wrath vs Cata.

I meant this part:

"I've always wondered- why did you take the decision to maintain a reduced forum presence in Cataclyam, compared to Wrath?"

"Without throwing anyone under the bus, let's just say it wasn't my choice. I think the results speak for themselves."

Meaning results of Wrath vs Cata.
    I think he is talking about the quality of communication between Blizzard and the players rather than the problems experienced throughout Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    After GC's legendary "Stop doing content if it is too hard for you" in response to player's complaints about Cata 5-mans' initial tuning, it is sort of understandable that Blizzard's management decided to put him on a forum vacation.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    After GC's legendary "Stop doing content if it is too hard for you" in response to player's complaints about Cata 5-mans' initial tuning, it is sort of understandable that Blizzard's management decided to put him on a forum vacation.
    I doubt he actually wanted to write such a piece he was the mouth piece for Blizzard's moronic policy at the time and as a result became the target of player's anger.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I agree, but I think the move away from the forums and to twitter, hurt a lot more. Ive been saying for about a year now, that twitter is a terrible way to interact with players especially on a numbers perspective because the charachters limits do not allow a meaningful question/reply or evidence to be posted. It leads to many things getting misconstrued as well as taken out of context.

I think moving to twitter away from the forums may have done wonders for player dev out reach, but did very little for positive relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    DS was fun and still is now. I don't get the hate for Cata in general anyways.