Although the comment comes from an incomplete knowledge base (since I can think of one example), in another thread, someone was saying they "can't think of any expansion for any game where the net result is less.....stuff" [abilities].

Obviously WoD is a net addition to content in world areas, including garrisons and Ashran (probably fun), but this is in reference to a net reduction in abilities, although varying vastly, from classes with far fewer (example: hunters) to classes more similar to now (example: rogues).

This raises an interesting question: Which games have tried what WoD is doing, having a large net reduction in the number of abilities, in a game already out for years with an established playerbase, and how did it turn out afterwards?

A blue poster noted "We'd love to attract new players to the game and will continue in our efforts to do so, but our focus at this point is more on keeping our current subscribers happy and reacquainting former players with the game." *

Extensive ability "pruning" as a prime strategy in that context seems ... daring.

* http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...66?page=30#592

Maybe the trend is turning, but historically a thread like this would get responded to primarily or solely by a high-postcount group of posters inclined to support and defend Blizzard's plans. I just ask, if you do so, that you be specific. List which games and which expansions each by name, as then, even if argumentative, your posts may be interesting to look into further. MMORPG examples are preferred, but, to broaden the pool, non-MMORPG examples could be given too.

I'll freely admit my knowledge of gaming history is not encyclopedic, but so far I only know of one expansion pack in one other MMORPG which was more of a deletion pack for abilities (and, in its case, overall) than an expansion pack: the NGE (New Game Enhancements) for Star Wars Galaxies. (It didn't go well). And, yes, that example will be controversial especially since it was more extreme to its game than WoD is to WoW, but can someone list other examples?