Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Real money auction houses shouldn't be anywhere, especially with subs. Wanna make money? Get a real job. Ninjas were problematic enough.

Edit: former guildies stopped enjoying D3 and its gear when it became a venture.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2014-08-25 at 02:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didnt read my reason did you?
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

There is a reason they removed it from D3. The reason is its bad. Why would you even think it would work in wow? It already has a botting problem and gold farmer problem. Do you want that made worse? By the end you couldn't even get a few pennies off of something unless it was really Really good. With the vast majority of gear being BoP and the best gear being BoP, you have got to be dreaming. What would people even sell? Mounts? Pets? Yeah give hackers and botters more reason to dupe stuff. Heck the panther wont even work if you buy a duped one. Dupes as in they use an exploit to somehow get more then one of a pet or a mount via a exploit or hack that causes some form of a hick up that replicates and copies said item. Thus, they gain a second Ethereal soul trader because the system was tricked into creating another one. The blues deny it by simply going narrow minded on the situation and say "no they are not hacking the system". No, but they are exploiting the H#$@ out of it. Transmog gear would be on there almost 24/7 for stupid prices. Yeah, that green chest for level 24 is So worth 25$ just because it shows a little cleavage.

Excuse my small rant there about dupes. Its just something that annoys me immensely as my gf saw yet another Etheral soul trader in trade for a mere 25k when the card sells for 200$ or more. Its also really relevant to this discussion because they Will find more ways to further devalue the mounts and pets since they will be the only real items to sell.

Point is, never in a million years would this work and it would create a Vast amount of problems. Mostly just adding on to existing problems.

Deleted
    If you want to have rampant botting + money laundering service like EVE Online, then yes, mixing in a way to get real money in and out of the system is great
    Otherwise it's unilaterally a very, very, very, very bad idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I have heard "I will quit if it ever happens" a lot in this thread...no reasons given at all. I have not heard why it wouldnt work or why it would be bad. I have also noticed a lot think it might be a good idea too. I think the concept is sound and give up on the "it didnt work in D3" fallback. 2 different games. Many people felt it worked fine in D3 but there was issues due to it not being an MMO, I think in an MMO it would shine.

Who said they would quit? And if you havent ------>read<------- any arguments if why it would be bad, then you need your eyes checked

Real money auction would probably work, but just imagine the rage on the WoW general forums.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Such a system would be broken and unworkable in WoW. It only worked in D3 -at all- because of how the really good drops could be such a rarity, and even in D3 it only barely worked to begin with, hence why we are now only 'remembering' it. Because it's gone and was awful.

Raiding gear drops on a regular basis, many of the same drops every week, with little variation. Even with the new tertiary stat crap, it's still going to be a ton of the same (relatively) small set of gear each tier, nowhere near enough to populate a RMAH. Such a thing can't work in WoW because there simply is not enough crap to put on it.

Deleted
    would it work, ofcourse it would work.

is it a good idea? well let's consider Blizzard removed the real money AH, cause it was a dumb idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    Real money auction would probably work, but just imagine the rage on the WoW general forums.
    It will also create even more barriers on WoW for people to worry about. The rich would just be able to buy whatever they want or sell things for absurd prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Not sure what you mean by "work". Would it function? Yes. But I wouldn't want to see it implemented.

I was a huge supporter of RMAH when it first went live, and made enough money off of it to pay for my D3 Collector's edition and then some. But ultimately I turned negative about it, and felt that it was really bad for the game. I still respect Blizzard for having the guts to try the experiment in the first place. It was an effort to bring the very active item trading/selling system from D2 back into the game rather than having it all happen on independent websites, some of which engaged in gold selling, duping, etc. But it was an experiment that failed, and while I still find the analysis of what happened to be interesting, I haven't ever seen any good basis for bringing the model back to any game.

If you think the 'underground' population of dupers and botters is bad in WoW now, it would be exponentially worse once real money came into play within the game itself. An unintended effect of the RMAH was to tremendously inflate prices on the gold AH. If people had an item that they could opt to sell for even a couple of dollars, it became prohibitively expensive on the gold AH. The game shifted from killing monsters to obtain items to killing monsters to obtain gold so that you could conduct all of your item-focused business via the RMAH or the gold AH. It really was not fun, and I say that as someone who was successful at the RMAH and who still enjoys playing the WoW AH with great success.

There was a subset of international players who focused their entire in-game energy on the RMAH - the game itself ultimately didn't mean much to them. These guys were blowing thousands of dollars on the exchange of virtual items. You didn't hear much from them directly unless you happened to run in those circles, but their practices, while technically permissible under the rules of the RMAH, drove the D3 economy in directions I would not want to see in WoW.

I can understand how some folks would see an RMAH as potentially being useful in WoW, but I truly believe they are not fully understanding what goes on out there with the subculture of individuals and businesses that would instantly become involved in driving the economy for their own benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Such a system would be broken and unworkable in WoW. It only worked in D3 -at all- because of how the really good drops could be such a rarity, and even in D3 it only barely worked to begin with, hence why we are now only 'remembering' it. Because it's gone and was awful.

Raiding gear drops on a regular basis, many of the same drops every week, with little variation. Even with the new tertiary stat crap, it's still going to be a ton of the same (relatively) small set of gear each tier, nowhere near enough to populate a RMAH. Such a thing can't work in WoW because there simply is not enough crap to put on it.
    I dunno. How easy would it be to convert the black market auction house to a real money system? Every one seems to be assuming that it would be a player selling market. Blizzard could convert the BMAH to real money and then control what goes into it and when. They would make money hand over fist. Swift Zulian Tiger for $40 or Gold. They could have one vendor for cash and one for gold so they keep the gold sink.

I loath the idea but it could be easily implemented and tightly controlled. Sell raid gear one tier later. Add mounts and unobtainable gear/items. They would laughing all the way to the bank.

If Blizzard fixed any botting and any other potential issues, I do not see an issue. I guess what people(some are) is they see a fundamental wrongness to it, pay to win aspect to it. Not if done correctly imo.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Just echoing most peoples points here; No.

That'd be blatant Pay-to-Win.

No. Even if it could, please no.

Don't give them any stupid ideas..
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

No thanks, the auction house is bad enough as it is, having it work with real money would just break it even further.

No, but I would way rather see a system like CREDD.

In Diablo 3 it was fantastic.

Until the video gamers found out about it.

This video game market is too retared to accept the concept.

I still think that's the reason a genius like Rob Pardo left Blizzard. For once Mr and Mrs Average could SELL something in a video game.

I grew up with the Arcade machines in the late 70's , early 80's that swallowed coins constantly.

For once we had a chance to get coins back by simply playing a great combat game. Apparently it was too much to ask for the idiots to adapt.

Still 180 Euros in 5-6 months was not bad to have fun.

And of course Rob Pardo was RIGHT ALL ALONG: since the AH dissapeared, there is hardly any long life left in D3. An excellent combat game is now just another limited "smash the mosters game" without ANY long term motivation to play.

Kids stuff. But hey: you got what you deserved: D3 is now a kids game for 14 year olds.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-25 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and it would be my favorite addition ever to WoW.