Deleted

Kudos to Ghostcrawler on this interview

whoops, already a thread about this...will copy into that one

/this here can be deleted
    Last edited by mmoc486dcfca17; 2014-08-26 at 08:32 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's amazing how much people can read into something with the right preconceptions .

Deleted
    Ever thought, that maybe, Just maybe, He is sick and tired of people talking to him regarding his ex-job on WOW and is saying what is needed to be said to finally get people to leave him alone over it, and instead concentrate on his job on LOL ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Ever thought, that maybe, Just maybe, He is sick and tired of people talking to him regarding his ex-job on WOW and is saying what is needed to be said to finally get people to leave him alone over it, and instead concentrate on his job on LOL ?
    Of course! Because the best way to get an online community to forget about your involvement, is to give that community any form of talk that can be considered criticism.

That will surely work swell!

*facepalm*

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really didn't read into it that much. What I got from it is both games have a different audience and different expectations, and they do. I didn't see it as a knock against WoW or LoL.

WoW very clearly is designed for a giant audience. It's pretty evidenced by the fact that dungeons and raids have numerous difficulties added to them over the years. Why? To hit different demographics while still showing the same content to everybody. I know lots of people who play games that simply pick 'easy' because they want to see the story with no intention of playing at higher difficulty. In the same breath, I know people who flock to the hardest difficulty immediately, and then those who like to play through the difficulties one by one as they get more familiar.

All of those above difficulties are essentially what WoWs model is like, and has been like since, say WoTLK. Even before WoTLK the game was far more broad (I'll avoid the word casual) than MMOs before it.

When he mentioned designing for 'grandmothers' I didn't take it as an insult at all, it's really not an attack against the player base as much as it's pointing out that the game has a giant demographic that does in fact span to 'grandmothers' as part of their player base. Again evidenced by the various play styles that exist in that very game.

LoL and MoBas in general are certainly played by a giant demographic as well, but the main game is designed for one single demographic and they typically don't deter from that. So when he mentions that it's nice to design a game that doesn't just focus on making content for 'grandmothers' I just took it as being it's a nice change of pace not having to design with a wide variety of demographics in mind. Casual and hardcore are both very broad terms, and WoW is designed for several different kinds of those terms in addition to everything between.

The core of MoBas is designed to just be competitive. Most of them are F2P and you get a giant range of demographic because of that, but despite that the game is just designed for the competitive players and really nobody else. It's the focused design element that he probably enjoys in comparison to WoW, as it offers different challenges. It would be no different than say if WoW just continued to use the same raid model they did for Vanilla and never deviated. That's essentially what MoBas are like. One map, with constant balance changes and new heroes being introduced.

Deleted
    Guys please ^^ I opened this thread accidentially before I realised there are already 40+ pages about it

I copied my above comment in there, can we keep it in one thread? Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Locked the thread.

As OP already stated, already a thread about this topic
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..