Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gift wrapping in WoW is so restricted for so many pointless and stupid reasons

so I had this idea to make a guild bank tab called "secret santa" where I would wrap up cool things and put them into the guild bank tab. I would make it so everyone got 1 daily withdraw from this tab and was going to encourage others to put stuff in, too. So first and foremost was finding stuff to wrap. You can't wrap bags, you can't wrap anything that stacks. That eliminates a lot of things. So I flew to dalarn because I knew the vendors there sold expensive but cool stuff. Turns out they are all BoP for some really retarded reason, so that also wouldn't work as a gift. I found that pets can be gift wrapped so that was one thing I could wrap up, got a few little toys that could be wrapped and some good transmog gear and other things.

I wrap up like 50 gifts, completely clean out the guild bank tab I want to use,

"You can not store wrapped items in the guild bank"

thanks blizzard

u could put gift wrap in the guild bank and then people could choose what kind of wrap they want daily

10+ Year Old Account
    Aww that sucks, that sounded like a really neat idea! You could always make a suggestion to one of the devs about changing the wrapping restrictions, dunno if they'd care but it's worth a shot.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Or just mail a random gift to members each day
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds ridiculous. Why restrict putting wrapped items in the guild bank?

Blizzard loves pointless restrictions on fun things. God forbid they give you too much freedom in-game, who KNOWS what might happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    that was my thought too

From my understanding a lot of the restrictions on what you can wrap are because people were scamming somehow with wrapped gifts. Seems like you would need Darwin level stupid to pay any amount of money for a wrapped gift and expect it to have what you assume is in it. With all of the restrictions on gifts that hardly make sense, not being able to put them in the gbank definitely does not make sense

- - - Updated - - -

Who can I tweet about this?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awwww... what a cool idea! That's dumb it couldn't work out

Quote Originally Posted by yogzula View Post
    From my understanding a lot of the restrictions on what you can wrap are because people were scamming somehow with wrapped gifts.
    That's one reason. The other is it's a tech limitation because of how wrapped gifts work. Anyone who used pet caging early on saw the issues because it worked the same as wrapping gifts did. But pets are part of a major feature so they redesigned how they they worked. Trying to do that for every item in the game to work the same way with wrapping paper though would be a huge hassle with little reward.

Yeah we have tried that as well. What does work though is we have a lottery a few times a week the lottery is free and we put in a tab a bunch of letters each letter has written on it what you won it can be things like a couple hundred gold, pets, and our two top things are a chopper and ten thousand gold. If you are one of those drawn for the lottery you are given access to draw out one of the letters. After you draw it out you just mail it to the Guild Leader and he will send you what you won.

It's likely because the Gift Wrap has been a source of duping over the years, so they've had to limit what can be done with it.

Even in 5.4.8, there are still some basic duping possible with the Gift Wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9SNEQqGBIc#t=210

Quote Originally Posted by yogzula View Post
    that was my thought too

From my understanding a lot of the restrictions on what you can wrap are because people were scamming somehow with wrapped gifts. Seems like you would need Darwin level stupid to pay any amount of money for a wrapped gift and expect it to have what you assume is in it. With all of the restrictions on gifts that hardly make sense, not being able to put them in the gbank definitely does not make sense

- - - Updated - - -

Who can I tweet about this?

Its very common on high pop realm you see trade ad, on illidan they can go all day, 300g, 1k per gift, they also bait noobs sayin it drops tcg stuff etc...its ridiculous

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I can answer this. Blame players in vanilla.

Essentially, what Blizzard expects players to do with the ability to wrap items and place them in the guild bank is the same thing they did in vanilla. Players would try to con people out of hundreds of gold pretending to be NPCs from the Argent Dawn and send them a gift-wrapped item, which was always a gray item. Basically, you could do the same with a guild bank. You could take all of the items out, place "gift-wrapped" items in, and before anyone would realize what happened they have a guild bank full of rocks and bat quano.

Blame the players for the system. Don't blame the system itself.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    You could take all of the items out, place "gift-wrapped" items in, and before anyone would realize what happened they have a guild bank full of rocks and bat quano.
    Why would you even bother doing that? If you're going to steal everything, grab it and run.

"Oh, someone is removing everything, but refilling it with presents. They must hold the same value as what is being removed or why else would they do it? I'll just let them continue on..."

Yeah....no.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a cute idea! I've always hated the restrictions on gift wrap in the game, getting in the way of my gift giving!

10+ Year Old Account
    That sucks, please suggest this, it was a great idea.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

I think this is a technical limitation... basically, containers within containers within containers is a problem.

Have you tried putting them in your own bank just out of curiosity ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anira View Post
    It's a cute idea! I've always hated the restrictions on gift wrap in the game, getting in the way of my gift giving!
    I remember in the early days, there was some scam involving gifts which they had to work around too... just a long time ago

When you could mail wrapped up stuff, people (myself included cause I desperatly needed 25g back in vanilla) would scam other people by sending wrapped up junk through the mail with COD and an enticing message to make that guy want to "buy" thinking it's something valuable in it.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I think this is a technical limitation... basically, containers within containers within containers is a problem.

Have you tried putting them in your own bank just out of curiosity ?

- - - Updated - - -

I remember in the early days, there was some scam involving gifts which they had to work around too... just a long time ago
    you can put them in your own bank and you can also put strongboxes in the bank so :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    When you could mail wrapped up stuff, people (myself included cause I desperatly needed 25g back in vanilla) would scam other people by sending wrapped up junk through the mail with COD and an enticing message to make that guy want to "buy" thinking it's something valuable in it.
    then i can understand why they don't allow you to send gifts through the mail, but the only thing they really needed to do was make it so you can't C.O.D gifts.

restricting it so that you can't gift stackable items or put gifts in the gbank is silly

Deleted
    Yup. I know the feeling. It's always been like this. I did exactly the same 5 years or so ago. Wrapped up a hundred things, from mediocre(but still fun), to super rare stuff - wanted to put it all in the bank and have people withdraw 1/day for fun. But I couldn't. I ended up trading them each one item but it wasn't the same since there was no interaction on their part and I'm sure a few people had the thought "how random is this really", although of course no one said it but I'd rather people get awesome stuff based on what they chose, not my random selection.