Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is the best possible way of pre-raid gearing a character?

Referring to bop profession gear, boe gear, dungeon loot, upgrades for gear etc.

Pretty sure it'll be doing the daily Challenge Mode quest and heroic dungeons, maybe a few crafted items.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Munjica View Post
    @D-angeL
    We are in WoD section, so question is probably for next expansion.
    Oh yeah sorry. I thought I was already in general x) Nevermind then…^^
    Last edited by mmoc3697b61db8; 2014-08-28 at 02:29 PM.

@D-angeL

Quote Originally Posted by Munjica View Post
    @D-angeL
    indeed, I am referring to gearing for raids in WoD.
    I'm wondering what the best professions, upgrade paths, garrison buildings etc to take are. Was hoping to find someone who's gone through it all already and can write it clearly and concisely. Failing that I'll do the leg work myself when I have some time next week.

Very interested in this too.
    I'm guessing (like everyone else I suppose) that daily challenge + heroic dungeons + some crafts (not sure about this one, didn't check professions yet) is the way to go.
    But maybe I've missed some things!

Challenge Modes, Heroic Dungeons & Crafting.

It's as simple as that. You should do Dailies and such, get some gold to help you along the way and with reputation to buy the odd piece of gear or two, but it's all about getting into the content, to get the gear.

Challenge Modes have a chance to give a LFR iLevel piece of gear, and Heroic Dungeons should gear you for that as well. If you're part of a serious guild, they'll be crafting gear and issuing it out to it's members, and you should also be buying what you can off of the Auction House.

Since crafting will probably be cooldown-heavy I doubt you will be able to make something good in less than a month...So it will be the same as always. You do Dungeons until the LFR release. After LFR dungeons will become obsolete and you will run LFR every week to get gear for flex and so on...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Since crafting will probably be cooldown-heavy I doubt you will be able to make something good in less than a month...So it will be the same as always. You do Dungeons until the LFR release. After LFR dungeons will become obsolete and you will run LFR every week to get gear for flex and so on...
    What happened to "people who do heroic dungeons can skip LFR". I think that is still in.

Normally dungeon blues is the right answer. You just want to start raiding, no need for some kind of pre-raid bis list because you plan to change that gear pretty fast, time will fix any bad luck and will open more options to get upgrades, but none of those should be really necessary to get some good progress the first week in the first raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    What happened to "people who do heroic dungeons can skip LFR". I think that is still in.
    Challenge Mode daily quest out before LFR which can drop LFR gear
    so we don't need to farm LFR for normal raid anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    Normally dungeon blues is the right answer. You just want to start raiding, no need for some kind of pre-raid bis list because you plan to change that gear pretty fast, time will fix any bad luck and will open more options to get upgrades, but none of those should be really necessary to get some good progress the first week in the first raid.
    I appreciate the effort but unfortunately this is exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for.
    Time is of essence, I'm not a casual player, I intend to find the best mathematically possible way of gearing (at least) my main character for raiding. Our guild will likely be clearing normal raids within their first week so as to jump straight into heroic raiding. In order to do achieve this everyone will be preparing their characters in the same way.
    I want to know which professions on main character, alt characters and their respective daily cool-downs. Should I bother with inscription trinkets (I think I have 6 or 8 scribes) or change those professions to something else. Gold and time is not the question at hand, the absolute best possible method of achieving the best gear before raids commence (and maybe a few weeks in as well) is the answer I'm looking for.

LFR is opening after normal and heroic. It'll be two weeks for normal and heroic modes, three weeks for mythic and LFR mode.

By the time LFR opens, a mythic raider should have gotten something LFR-quality or better in every slot through a mix of running normal raid, running heroic raid (different lockouts), crafted items, challenge rewards, and apexis crystals (doing the apexis daily + lumber mill will give you enough to buy a 655 item in about 3 weeks). I expect any serious mythic guild will do a normal run and a heroic run when they open, then backfill with the warmup raids the next week in between progression pulls.

They haven't fully implemented reputation rewards yet, either, traditionally those will have one or two badly itemized purples to help folks along.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Blizzard also said that players can skip dailies in MoP but that didn't end well as we know...It seems that what developers feel is optional is far away from what players do..

Quote Originally Posted by greeeed View Post
    Challenge Mode daily quest out before LFR which can drop LFR gear
    so we don't need to farm LFR for normal raid anymore
    Challenge mode will have a chance to give LFR loot..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by appro View Post
    I appreciate the effort but unfortunately this is exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for.
    Time is of essence, I'm not a casual player, I intend to find the best mathematically possible way of gearing (at least) my main character for raiding. Our guild will likely be clearing normal raids within their first week so as to jump straight into heroic raiding. In order to do achieve this everyone will be preparing their characters in the same way.
    I want to know which professions on main character, alt characters and their respective daily cool-downs. Should I bother with inscription trinkets (I think I have 6 or 8 scribes) or change those professions to something else. Gold and time is not the question at hand, the absolute best possible method of achieving the best gear before raids commence (and maybe a few weeks in as well) is the answer I'm looking for.
    Profession bonuses have been nerfed to next to nothing. Engineering helmets are still quite sweet, but it's possible those will be nerfed before it goes live to bring engineering in line with other professions. Gathering professions are in pretty dire straits right now, but as a serious mythic raider you probably don't have a gathering profession on any of your mains.

Darkmoon trinkets are pretty nice. You're going to have to watch your own class forums and decide whether that's something you in particular need to be focusing on.

For efficiency, you probably want to run heroic dungeons until you're geared for challenges, then run your challenges once a day. You can wear a maximum of 3 crafted items, but there will be the possibillity of making heroic crafted items for each gear slot so you'll have to see which ones are best itemized for your class. You'll want to run your apexis daily every day for those first 3 weeks. You'll probably run the first normal and heroic in your dungeon blues + whatever you've gotten from challenge modes. Once you've gotten that gear, you'll backfill the 3 worst slots with crafted items and buy an apexis piece for your 4th worst slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    Engineering helmets are still quite sweet, but it's possible those will be nerfed before it goes live to bring engineering in line with other professions.
    I hope its nerf'd into line. If Engineering is the one strong profession the mats required for leveling it are going to be ridiculously expensive when everyone wants it, that's assuming you can even get your hands on anything.

Gathering professions are in pretty dire straits right now, but as a serious mythic raider you probably don't have a gathering profession on any of your mains.
    You are correct
    I do have a character purely for gathering professions though.

Darkmoon trinkets are pretty nice. You're going to have to watch your own class forums and decide whether that's something you in particular need to be focusing on.
    I was thinking about this earlier. WoD releases on the 13th of November and the next Darkmoon Faire (turn scribe decks into trinkets) isn't until December the 7th. Due to Darkmoon trinkets having a lower ilvl and requiring upgrades it appears unlikely they'll be any good for the first week at least.
    https://twitter.com/WatcherDev/statu...35133346566144

For efficiency, you probably want to run heroic dungeons until you're geared for challenges, then run your challenges once a day. You can wear a maximum of 3 crafted items, but there will be the possibillity of making heroic crafted items for each gear slot so you'll have to see which ones are best itemized for your class. You'll want to run your apexis daily every day for those first 3 weeks. You'll probably run the first normal and heroic in your dungeon blues + whatever you've gotten from challenge modes. Once you've gotten that gear, you'll backfill the 3 worst slots with crafted items and buy an apexis piece for your 4th worst slot.
    This is the kind of information I was looking for!
    I'll do some additional research next week and figure out the exact details. I'll try to write something definitive and clear for others when I do.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by appro View Post
    I kinda feel that way too. Although I must admit the craft side of it got me a bit confused this time.

I just read the profession overviews on wowhead & I'm not quite sure if I got it right.

For example, there's a full set of epics craftable by blacksmiths, but I read somewhere that we could only equip 3 pieces max? True?
    Regarding materials, it seems like they need a lot. Does it seem actually doable to craft thoses 3 pieces during the two weeks before the raids open (mats & cooldowns Wise)?

Those questions aren't particularly adressed to Appro, if any of you has info it'll be welcome. I searched a bit in the Professions subforum (maybe not quite well) and didn't find clear infos about this, sorry if it has already been explained.

Edit: Ninotchka brought light on some points, thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Captainkrabs; 2014-08-28 at 12:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    taking blacksmithing as an example (the following might be slightly incorrect, as the ilvl for weapons and shields is lower then that of armor, 630 vs 640, but i have no idea if this is intended or not)

if the raids open in 2 weeks (was it 2? or more?) you can get 14 secrets of draenor blacksmithing

with 14 you can get 2 level boosters and the max of 3 pieces of gear with ilvl 655. i suggest you craft the epic shoulder pieces and a weapon + 1 random, this is because the apex vendors do not have shoulder pieces or weapons (in the beta now)

getting the lumber mill from the get go allows you to farm apex crystals, so by the time you hit 100 you should be able to compliment some dungeon gear (which i think is 655 normal raids is 665)

apex/dungeon is 630, epic crafted 640. entry level ilvl for normals or heroics for the more skilled players.

edit, ignore most of the above. did some numbers checks:
    apiex upgrade 1 is 645, upgrade 2 is 655
    crafted upgrade 1 is 655, upgrade is is 665

so best you can get is
    6x 655 (wrist, waist, hands, legs, feet, cloak) from Apex
    2x 665 from crafted (shoulders, chest)
    1x 655 from crafted (weapon)
    supplement with dungeon and dark moon fair trinkets/jewelry.

thats the best you can get before ever setting 1 foot into a raid. the cheer amount of alexis crystals and crafting materials make it unrealistic to do within a week.

realaisticly, you should see;
    2x 640 from crafted. possibly upgraded to 655
    1x 630 weapon from crafted. possibly upgraded to 645
    1x DMF trinket
    everything else filled with 630 from dungeons and starter Apexis.
    Last edited by Mteq; 2014-08-28 at 12:59 PM.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Outdated thinking. The heroic dungeon gear + craftables is sufficient to do raids at normal (=flex) and with a skilled and organised group even heroic (=normal9 difficulty. System is bac to normal, LFR is for people who came later and need to gear up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorzzara View Post
    Outdated thinking. The heroic dungeon gear + craftables is sufficient to do raids at normal (=flex) and with a skilled and organised group even heroic (=normal9 difficulty. System is bac to normal, LFR is for people who came later and need to gear up quickly.
    in the best possible scenario I can think of, is that people will demand full LFR level gear for flex runs..In the normal scenario, you must have half flex gear and half LFR in order to join...What is sufficient and what people will actually expect is very different things...