Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Sandbox MMO - Once your dead, your dead

I think this would be interestingly enough a interesting idea if done correctly.

Main points:

Once you die in game, that character is dead.

The game opens that you can level to level 10 without a death penalty (being final) After that 75% of the world is live meaning you can die in those areas. Once you character is dead, that player char is dead. You can start the same class at level 10 again but if you are starting a new class, you start at level 1. Once that char is level 10 and you die you can restrat at level 10 again. So that would be 2 classes you could start at level 10. Character levels would go to level 60.

The world is a sandbox. The developers throw out the content and what ever the player does with it is their business. You can build a town in designated areas but it could start off with a player (or guild) controlling that area. Maybe not. Once it gets to a certain level of development is is now a safe town.

Maybe there is no content, just land areas, wildlife and the players are the content. It is a big majority sandbox. Maybe there is a dungeon, just one. It would not be heroic level but more normal or flex..because as i said, you die your char is done.

A guild perk (and it would be a major one could be) is that once a major milestone is made as a guild, you get one auto-rez. Or not, maybe thats too much.

Man each server would be vastly different in so many ways. I'd play this game. You sure as shit would have something to lose and epic things to do. Many possibilities, so fricken many. The biggest hurdle is ensuring someone is not killed by lag but something could be put in place that could monitor that or set up some ways around it.

I think it would be interesting but not positive it is possible with todays technology.

Deleted
    that wuld end bad, and fast.

Deleted
    There would be very little to do, which such stakes. Who would risk a dungeon, if wiping would mean hours of re-leveling?

Think there is a reason they moved away from losing experience on death in MMOs.

You could just make these rules yourself and play by them.

Play Path of Exile on hardcore.

Realm of the mad god anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    There would be very little to do, which such stakes. Who would risk a dungeon, if wiping would mean hours of re-leveling?

Think there is a reason they moved away from losing experience on death in MMOs.

You could just make these rules yourself and play by them.

This.

The plain fact is that there aren't enough people who into games that are *that* hardcore. A game like that wouldn't be profitable, period.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spelorzi View Post
    Realm of the mad god anyone?
    Oh yeah that is actually quite close.

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    that wuld end bad, and fast.
    not for everyone.

depends on how everything works out. If it's like wow (primarily gear based with gear acquisition based around low-medium drop rates tied to encounters only completed once a week), it would die out fast.

edit:

a game designed with the idea from the ground up likely wouldn't have the same restrictions on getting gear (primarily from loot pinatas/bosses) and would have vastly different ways of going about dealing with the common game activities.

Crafting would likely play a larger role in character advancement, and less gear would likely be soul bound. On top of that it may very well be keep what you kill style.... where when you manage to kill someone you get whatever they had on them. But honestly most people who read the topic probably thought of their low level dungeon runs with healers not healing and the 2h tank that wasn't a monk, DK, or druid.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2013-11-05 at 01:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    not for everyone.

depends on how everything works out. If it's like wow (primarily gear based with gear acquisition based around low-medium drop rates tied to encounters only completed once a week), it would die out fast.
    Don't think a open gearing system would be much better?

You lost exp when dying in EQ and it sucked. It was already a super grind and losing exp made it way worse. With that said, I freaking loved that game but I wouldn't want to lose exp or play any hardcore mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to this see. Not sure on how lucrative or long lasting it would be.

My dead what?

Sounds like one of the worst games of all time, actually. No idea who in their right mind would even want that.

Couldn't do much of anything because one mistake or lag spike or disconnect means you just wasted tens of hours on absolutely nothing. There's virtually no way a game like that would work, it just isn't possible. Only a small handful of people would buy it, and it wouldn't make anywhere near enough money to support its servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Permadeath in an MMO = griefer paradise. -11/10, would not play.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

There have been sandbox MMO's before like wurm online but they never get popular because anyone who even hears about it looks at it and goes... wait.. theres nothing to do.. players cant be relied upon to make content for other players.

Things have a way of working out when people have a lot to lose and there is a world to be made by the players.I do not think it needs to be hardcore at all, it would be interestingly new with many possibilities.

terrible idea. 1st, a game with a level of 60 where if you die, you're done. Takes the challenge out of leveling. You would always fight that which you could beat to a pulp. Add that once invested in a toon, esp to level 60, to lose it all would probably just cause people to quit.

The only way I could see it working is if it was a massive war-game type. If there are levels, I'd suggest a max of 10, of which it would only take you an hour or 2 to level. Mainly because there would be little to no investment in character and character development, because one randomly lucky shot or circumstances and it's over. Add to the fact of random connection fails and you could die to no fault of your own, and it could even be server stability that caused the problem. Basically, a recipe for disaster.

Besides, as suggested, the one overriding reason it wouldn't work is that the way companies make money is essentially to get someone invested in a toon and to basically care about the toon. Take that away, and you take away one of the main reasons to play.

To have dungeons you would need to remove the death penalty while in them or almost nobody would ever dare enter one in fear of having to start over their character again.

PvP wouldn't be also non-existent because of the death penalty.

I like the overall idea though, high risk would possibly add a level of immersion to the game because you would have-to be careful wherever you went so that you didn't die.

I think if the gameplay was something kind of similar to Borderlands in terms of progression and mob density, but more open world like Skyrim with the ability to interact with other players like WoW it might actually be quite fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Things have a way of working out when people have a lot to lose and there is a world to be made by the players.I do not think it needs to be hardcore at all, it would be interestingly new with many possibilities.
    What possibilities? I can only think of content being unused because of risk.

I think there will be something like this at some point. Not getting good feedback atm though lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know...I'd fricken play it and im definitely not hardcore.

- - - Updated - - -

It could also be there is not pvp BUT you could duel to the death if accepting a challenge. Perhaps pve mainly only, that may be better, 5 mans, raids would sure as shit have interesting things.