Thread: Talent trees.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Oh yeah, there were some seriously underrated hybrid builds. Especially those DK trees back in wrath, ran a couple of interesting builds that went pretty deep into frost and blood and a few points into unholy. Some well geared shaman could tank if they spec'd right, or if you weren't raiding you could spec however you wanted and run some fun specs. However, if you were raiding you had to run the cookie cutter build because they were the best for overall damage output. Unfortunately cookie cutters will always exist for the top end content, even with the MoP system you still have required talents.

That being said, OP if you're looking for the old talent trees go check out Rift. Their talent system is a lot of fun and until you are running cutting edge content you can spec however you want.

I love how everyone is proving each others' opinions wrong with their own opinion. At any rate, they could take the best of both worlds and ditch glyphs, gems and enchants, and roll them into a talent tree where you get to make all these choices for your character. Because really, there isn't any difference between glyphs, talents, enchants, and gems except functionality. It would save everyone a lot of gold if those things were just talents.

to compare, i miss the old one...

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    they never really posted a good reason why they removed the three dk tanking classes either. just poof screw you, you wanna tank you go blood.
    Didin't Ghostcrawler explian why they did it.
    We’ll go into more detail in the upcoming preview, but we wanted to take the opportunity to explain the reasoning for such a big change.

Why the about face? We actually thought the “tri tank” experiment worked out okay. We suspected there would always be a “best” tanking tree, because that’s the way these things shake out, but we hoped it would be close enough that many players could tank with their favorite tree. When we tried out this design for Wrath of the Lich King, we were using it as a test case to see if we wanted to do similar things with the warrior and paladin talent trees.

A lot has happened since that time. We introduced the dual-spec feature, allowing players to have a tanking spec and dps spec that they could switch between. We introduced Dungeon Finder, which makes it easier to find players who want to tank, and even let players level up using a dedicated tank spec. In Cataclysm, we are introducing the concept of passive talent tree bonuses and we think that feature is a lot stronger when the talent tree has a particular focus (such as damage, tanking or healing). For example, it’s safer to give more passive damage to a tanking tree than we can a dps tree. Above all, we were just spending a lot of effort trying to balance three trees (though it was really six trees, since each tree was trying to do two things).

It started to feel unfair to the other tank classes that we had to spend so much effort tweaking three types of DK tanks, and it even started to feel unfair to the DK that we couldn’t focus their tanking experience. One bit of feedback that really struck home was the DK players who said, essentially, “I look at the Protection tree and I’m jealous of all of the cool tools they have to help their tanking. As a DK, I have to pick and choose tanking talents from within a sea of dps talents.” Rather than have a strong focus, the trees felt a little watered down because they were trying to do so much. With Frost as a dual-wield, spell and runic power focused tree, Unholy as a disease and minion focused tree, and Blood as a self-healing, defensive cooldown, tanking tree, we think the focus of each tree is a lot clearer and cooler.
    People may or may not agree with the reasons, but reasons were posted. No "screw you" in there.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

I like the old talent trees. Granted, I think that there should be some changes and alterations. I liked the Cataclysm iteration of talent trees.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coular View Post
    Anyone else missing the old talent trees? Why can't they bring that up again?
    Nope, not at all really.
    It was static "tick best boxes or GTFO" - at least now you have some talents that are actually situationally swappable depending on encounter.

Because choosing between +2% crit for a spell or -5% cooldown for another is really engaging, and it's definitely not something you just looked up based on which was mathematically proven to be superior.

You know... fun.

Deleted
    "Because choosing between +2% crit for a spell or -5% cooldown for another is really engaging, and it's definitely not something you just looked up based on which was mathematically proven to be superior.

You know... fun."

for some people the "looking up" might be fun...

i miss them too (