Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    He walked through a path and ended up in a point where the wall is ruble. He then crossed the ruble. Then he walked through a path to the point where the rubble is a wall again.

The path is the 4th dimension.
    Except said path is pulled out of thin air whereas the 2D=>3D explanation explains it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Unfortunately that is how my mind works. My mind will try to pan out on it's own and put together a concept on its own to understand the space and if I can't do that and figure out how I logically got to where I am I won't be captivated by the game.
    Yep, I'm in the same boat. If I don't understand it, I won't really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    It's more a PHILOSOPHICAL concept, but there is no logic flaw to call it moving in ONE fourth dimension.
    Concept or not, it doesn't explain it, plus just looking at it is confusing. Teleporting from a river to a desert with no real explanation and saying "it's another dimension" is weird and explains nothing.

Yeah I kind of envisioned it more like walking in place and everything around you ages or de-ages. Kind off like flipping the pages of a story.
    Which would be cool, but that's not what the guy is saying.

In fact, I'm a little curious why something like this hasn't happened already. I mean sure, we have a game like Ocarina of Time, but that's two fixed points; present and 7 years in the future, plus it's a long process to swap between the two time perods.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    His representation of the 4th dimension isn't seamless so it looks weird.

Seems like a pretty shitty implementation of 4d.

His representation of the 4th dimension isn't seamless so it looks weird.
    He didn't represent it as time, so his was wrong? But what about the OP that said it was simple, or that one guy who called people idiots for not getting it? What about the other people in here who say it isn't time? So if you're right and it is time, it isn't a 4D game is it?

I didn't read every reply but hopefully I'm not the only one who not only saw this gameplay at work in the Wii Paper Mario game but thinks this guy is a pompous ass with how he explains something that he definitely has no proprietary claim to. 4th dimension my fuckin ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

This game appears to try to depict 4-dimensional space (with the 4th dimension not being time).

Mathematicians like to talk about 4D space with 4 geometric dimensions and physicists will often consider the 4th dimension being time (so the 4D world would be "spacetime").

Here's a link to a description of visualizing 4D space: http://eusebeia.dyndns.org/4d/vis/01-intro

I wouldn't say it's a new mechanic at all because I feel like I've seen it in other games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    I didn't read every reply but hopefully I'm not the only one who not only saw this gameplay at work in the Wii Paper Mario game but thinks this guy is a pompous ass with how he explains something that he definitely has no proprietary claim to. 4th dimension my fuckin ass.
    Yea, from my understanding there isn't really a 4th dimension it's just the 3rd dimension from another view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

I'm gonna have a go at trying to explain this.

Now, lets assume that time is the forth dimension. http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...-dimension.htm
    Lets go back to the 2D player and his experience as he goes through the third dimension to get past a wall in his way. The 2D player is running along a path and is obstructed by a wall. To get around it, he moves through the third dimension so he can run along a different 2D path. Once he gets around it, he travels through the third dimension again to get back to his original path, where he is now on the opposite side of the wall.

The 3D player experiences a similar thing. The 3D player is running along a path and is obstructed by a wall. To get around it, he moves through the fourth dimension (time) so he can run along a different 3D path (a path in the far future where the wall is eroded away). Once he gets gets around it, he travels through the fourth dimention again to get back to his original path (in the present), where he is now on the opposite side of the wall.

I think they just use fourth dimension because it sounds cooler than "time travels."

The fourth dimension that the narrator is obviously trying to portray is the concept of spacetime.
    Physics + Space + Time = 4th Dimension

So basically you're moving through both time and space to get to a point to where you could progress to an otherwise impassable object. At least that's my best interpretation of it.

He explains it pretty shittily, but honestly I could hardly explain it any better. Maybe he should have just said "time travel", but that wouldn't really hook people in as much as "4D"!!!

3DS FC: 0877-1538-7893
    PM if you add me!

tell me i did a good job

Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Same in a way. Could you imagine if Phil Fish tried to make something like this and saw all the feedback asking what the 4th dimension is?
    He would probably quit making video games forever, accuse gamers of being the worst scum on the face of the earth, and claim youtube is the cause of all video game piracy.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    He would probably quit making video games forever, accuse gamers of being the worst scum on the face of the earth, and claim youtube is the cause of all video game piracy.
    Probably? He'd do it again.

That whole video was entirely bullshit. The fourth dimension is time and the gimmick is just time traveling in real time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post

Crazy stuff!
    but the 4th dimension would not be a binary state...if you took 1 step along, then went back to our 3 dimensions it would change, if you took 2 steps it woudl change more, 3 steps even more...and so on.

besides its not a 4th dimension, its an alternate 3 dimensional world he is describing. And thats not new.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post

He explains it pretty shittily, but honestly I could hardly explain it any better. Maybe he should have just said "time travel", but that wouldn't really hook people in as much as "4D"!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    This is how I feel, too. While I get the 2D-3D concept and I'm not criticizing the game for what it is (because it's a neat concept in an era devoid of good concepts besides SHOOT EVERYTHING), I'm criticizing calling something 4D without actually telling us with the 4th dimension is.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't really a 4th dimension though, this is a different side to a 3rd dimension.

1st dimension is a line (no width/height) [there's a good reason why no games are ever "1D" games]
    2nd dimension is a plane (up, down, left right)
    3rd dimension adds width/depth to said plane, and is the most common because, well, as humans on Earth, we live in said dimension.
    So... How does one add another dimension to this in the practical sense? You can justify it like the video tries to, but it doesn't really explain what the 4th dimension is because I don't think there really is one that we can perceive.
    Wouldn't time be the 4th dimension? And wouldn't its application be distorting the other 3? Just pulling stuff out of my ass here but thats what i believe if someone more knowledgeable wants to shed some light be my guest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Video looks to be spot on describing how you would interact with the fourth dimension. Just by moving along it you still see the three dimensions. Instead of thinking of "length, width, height", think "length = x, width = y, height = z", so you have nice cartesian coordinates, add in a fourth, w, and now you can do fun things. Lets say everything you see right now is (x, y, z, w), with w = 0, if you move in the w-dimension, you are now at (x, y, z, w+1), you are at a different place, but you still only perceive the x, y, and z, but from that new place. That is essentially what the game is telling you that you're doing, you're taking a sidestep in w, and to get back, you have to take a sidestep back.