Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I never enjoyed it, after an extremely demotivating Naxxramas, Ulduar started implementing a lot of the features I dislike in modern raiding, as in, the first steps towards "heroic" encounters. The instance itself had very cool encounters though. I just preferred when raiding used to be about a few easy bosses, some in between, a couple hard fights and lastly a very hard boss. Heroic modes and different difficulty tiers never really felt right to me (although I fully understand their necessity for MOST GAMERS, sadly I'm not part of that group)

The pinnacle of raiding to me was T5, there will never be fights like Kael/Vashj again - those for me are gaming art

The two most important reasons why people liked Ulduar has got nothing to do with Ulduar ironically... It was liked because:

1) It followed shitty rehased tier, and
    2) It lasted only four months so people didn't have the time to get bored of it

Any raid instance, even Dragon Soul if it had filled those two points would feel like the second coming to the vocal minority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Soul gets a bad rep. The most badass moment in literally ALL of WoW for me was parachuting onto Deathwing's back.

Don't get me wrong, there were problems with the raid (re-hashed models galore, half the fights are boring and simple), but I don't want to forget the cool parts because other things sucked

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    The two most important reasons why people liked Ulduar has got nothing to do with Ulduar ironically... It was liked because:
    There are plenty more reasons, many listed in this thread, and you'd see them if you weren't an angry, pretentious little hipster with his head shoved firmly up his ass who thinks they're evangelizing ye olde unwashed masses with God's holy truth that Ulduar is just the over-rated, mainstream darling of raiders.
    Look! Words!

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate the theme, but some of the fights are fun and the gear looks very nice. A bit too long and time consuming though.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    A bit too long and time consuming though.
    I personally prefer "mega raids" that take multiple days. The BWD/BoT/HoF/ToeS models is liked by some, but I like the epic buildup that 10+ boss raids have. You don't need to clear it all in one night

I don't need to try. I'm just pointing out where people who have nostalgia goggles on are remembering it wrong.
    Always with the nostalgia bullshit. "Stop liking old shit! Everything old is shit and everything new is the greatest in the world!"

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    There are plenty more reasons, many listed in this thread, and you'd see them if you weren't an angry, pretentious little hipster with his head shoved firmly up his ass who thinks they're evangelizing ye olde unwashed masses with God's holy truth that Ulduar is just the over-rated, mainstream darling of raiders.
    Not seeing those because I'm not wearing nostalgia goggles, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Always with the nostalgia bullshit.
    No matter how hard you try to disbelieve, nostalgia is real and it lives on fansites. It's always the same thing... the first album, the first movie, the first expansion... People feel nostalgic over the thing they first encountered, regardless of if it was objectively good or not.

dunno why people like ulduar so much, for me best raid evah was Karahzan as for second Mount Hyjal it felt good like you were part of story from wc3 even though most people hated wiping on trash there.

Deleted
    Yes you seem to be one of the few people that didn't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there are plenty of people who don't, but most of them didn't start playing until Cataclysm or later. Now, I don't take their opinions into consideration nearly as much as someone who raided it during progression and experienced it when it posed a challenge. Not sure which category you fall into.

I enjoyed Ulduar a lot, and the design, layout and atmosphere of it really made it what it was. They put a large amount of effort into even the simplest detail, and you can really tell. I wouldn't call it my favorite raid though, as Naxxramas and Ahn'Qiraj top it in my opinion.

It was quite an era of wow though, and is deserving of its iconic status. Sadly they made the mistake of having it only last as progression for four months, but what can you do?

10+ Year Old Account
    objectively
    That's really all there is to say about you. I'm sure that deep inside you're not deluded enough to truly believe any of this has to do with objectivity. You really do not have any "objective" measurements for what makes a good raid and what doesn't. I mean, I'd love to see you make that list, but no. You can lie to yourself and/or us and try to chalk it up to certain factors like they're scientifically "measurable" to help silence the voice in the back of your head that keeps pestering you with 'pst you still don't have an argument', but we're not doing algebra, it's not as easy as you pretend it to be. It's nothing but you using your opinions as truth, trying for some reason to convince people that, no, even though they liked Ulduar when it was current and they still like it, they're wrong, they really don't like it. Because you decide what people like and don't like. Because that's how opinions and memories work. Because you're the expert on them, all these people you don't even know remotely. A prime case of that faux unshakeable hipster ignorance.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2014-08-30 at 06:58 PM.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's my favorite. Post #2 explained it well. I recall it was current content during summer, though. Months were it was hard to form proper raid groups. Our guild didn't fully progress through some of the hard modes until patch 3.3 I think. It feels weird complaining about Blizzard putting out new content too quickly, but I felt that was the case with ToC. Could've let Ulduar be the end-tier for a little while longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Turn in your raiders card at the front desk. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

...I kid, you're allowed to like or dislike whatever the hell you want, as long as you're not a douche to the people who do like it and we in turn respect your dislike of it.

Just keep in mind that as well as aesthetics, and feel, the people you raided with and the time spent in the raid can also colour your opinions. I know I like ulduar because despite that time spent raiding with damn near awful people and horrible wiping, I loved how it felt. And coming back only reminds me how much I enjoyed the look and feel of the raid.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

I liked the ulduar way of activating hard modes a lot more then just turning on heroic mode tbh.

Not the only one, just one of the very few :P

Best raid ever IMO.

I don't know many people who dislike it. I loved it personally and hope to see another raid like it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the whole titan/steampunk/dwarf/gnome setting. I don't know, I was just never very into it and people talk about it like it was a golden age...
    Love or hate it, you can't deny that it was just so unique and different. Unlike anything Blizzard had ever done in the game up to that point. I assume that's why it stands the test of time. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Part of the reason Ulduar is on a pedestal is that it was way too quickly replaced by ToC which was garbage in comparison.
    there is some truth to this. It was one of the most "rushed" to replace tiers ever. However, it also had great fights and a great atmosphere. It's probably one of the best raids they've done for that reason alone.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Diverse how every tier is full of diverse bosses. Arguably ToT and T11 are far more diverse than Ulduar.

I'm a firm believer that Ulduar was not the end all be all. People hold it to a pedestal when the place had like 3 memorable encounters. About the average for most raid tiers.
    I'm getting the feeling that you weren't actually raiding it when it was current, and just came in for T11. And there's no shame in that, a lot of people remember their first raid tier fondly!