Thread: WoW: Next Level

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW: Next Level

I was thinking what could assist WoW in reaching another level for it's own innovation. This could be for its next iteraion of MMO (WoW 2) or its current design plans. Some things that it should shoot for:

• Add content that allows subscribers to do things that are meaningful, that can make a difference to the world
    • Leaderboards in raiding, PvP, Questing, Crafting etc
    • Ability to shape their world/community
    • Economy - this needs to improve in all areas
    • Increased Alliance/Horde tensions
    • Goals/rewards that are realstic to all styles of play

Blizzard should really focus on being innovative, take some calculated risks and take their MMO to another level. What do you think?
    Last edited by Grogo; 2014-09-03 at 04:29 PM.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

10+ Year Old Account
    i quite like their current design better. accessible, fun, entertaining. its a bit tedious with RNG and could stand a heavy reduction in that regard. i still dont really share those interests of yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Adding more territorial conflicts, forging friendships because it would be beneficial and encouraging political alliances will assist in getting to the next level.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i quite like their current design better. accessible, fun, entertaining. its a bit tedious with RNG and could stand a heavy reduction in that regard. i still dont really share those interests of yours.
    you're the kind of player that plagues this game and the type of player ghostcrawler hated designing for

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-09-03 at 05:20 PM.

Also, somehow...some way...they need to get their servers back to a proper horde/alliance balance.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah fair enough, though your preference seems to gear towards the game being more meaningless except for mindless fun. I am not saying that is a bad thing, well maybe I am...but I do expect many others would like the game to be more innovative and immersive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    yeah fair enough, though your preference seems to gear towards the game being more meaningless except for mindless fun. I am not saying that is a bad thing, well maybe I am...but I do expect many others would like the game to be more innovative and immersive.
    im saying develop content for everyone. there is room for challenge to those that seek it, without completely omitting others ideas of fun. a healthy community is a diverse community. i enjoy that i can find my own level of fun in Heroic/semi~mythic, while others have theirs in LFR. it doesnt bother me that other players play at a different level than i do. i dont want tediousness added to the game for the sake of gating and intentionally trying to block others from being a part of the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

im saying develop content for everyone. there is room for challenge to those that seek it, without completely omitting others ideas of fun. a healthy community is a diverse community. i enjoy that i can find my own level of fun in Heroic/semi~mythic, while others have theirs in LFR. it doesnt bother me that other players play at a different level than i do. i dont want tediousness added to the game for the sake of gating and intentionally trying to block others from being a part of the community.
    Ok, I get that. I would encourage a diverse community but it also needs to have a consistent way of doing so. Having goals and things that actually matter are a good component to add. I also believe gamers are swaying back to wanting to be challenged.

Your list is so vague..

"Ability to shape their world/community" for example, that could be anything, sounds like something you would find on the back of the box of an mmo.

Sounds fancy but means nothing untill you actually define it, you could say being able to make guilds allows you that if you want to.

This is one of the most vague topic I've seen lately.
    Your points add nothing to the game, it's all very abstract ...

Add content that allows subscribers to do things that are meaningful, that can make a difference to the world
    -> You mean dynamic world ? Should we be able to go destroy Stormwind ? Should we be able to change the terrain of a zone ? No, it's not what Warcraft is about. Blizzard is offering us a world to play in, not asking us do create the world we want.

Leaderboards in raiding, PvP, Questing, Crafting etc
    -> What purpose would have a leaderboard in questing ? How much quetes did you do ? Aren't Achivements doing this already ? Same for Crafting ?

Ability to shape their world/community
    -> Forums, Guilds and Fan-sites serve this purpose already. What new feature could improve the game ?

Economy - this needs to improve in all areas
    -> Economy is independant from development. Economy regulate itself along with patches and expansions, and every server is different. Blizzard can't do much about that.

Increased Alliance/Horde tensions
    -> Lorewise ? I think it was increased in MoP and Ashran will keep the tensions alive. Don't see what more can they do is people keep asking for a Legion expansion and that Alliance and Horde will have to ally to fight it, but in the meantime we ask them to increase tensions. You simply want more PvP.

Goals/rewards that are realstic to all styles of play
    -> But you can't ask them to be able to have any reward doing anything you want. If I just want to fish all day, should I have the possibility to obtain raid gear ? If I only do PvE, should I be able to obtain PvP gear ? You need to have restriction and rewards than can be obtain an unique and precise way, because if not, the game would not work.

My biggest gripe these days are the little things that doesn't happen in other modern MMOs. Such as getting stuck on small inclines, a branch, or a pebble. Perhaps what would fix that is adding physics. If physics in WoW worked the same as in WildStar or Guild Wars 2 I would be very happy and I think it would add a lot to the game. I understand it would be a big undertaking, due to the number of things a physics change would affect, but I think it would be a good thing to look into for a future major expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    • Add content that allows subscribers to do things that are meaningful, that can make a difference to the world
    • Ability to shape their world/community
    • Economy - this needs to improve in all areas
    • Increased Alliance/Horde tensions
    Play a sandbox game like EVE Online, these are mostly covered there. However there are no preset goals at all and no content ladder to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by haiyken View Post
    This is one of the most vague topic I've seen lately.
    Your points add nothing to the game, it's all very abstract ...

Add content that allows subscribers to do things that are meaningful, that can make a difference to the world
    -> You mean dynamic world ? Should we be able to go destroy Stormwind ? Should we be able to change the terrain of a zone ? No, it's not what Warcraft is about. Blizzard is offering us a world to play in, not asking us do create the world we want.

-> What purpose would have a leaderboard in questing ? How much quetes did you do ? Aren't Achivements doing this already ? Same for Crafting ?

-> Forums, Guilds and Fan-sites serve this purpose already. What new feature could improve the game ?

-> Economy is independant from development. Economy regulate itself along with patches and expansions, and every server is different. Blizzard can't do much about that.

-> Lorewise ? I think it was increased in MoP and Ashran will keep the tensions alive. Don't see what more can they do is people keep asking for a Legion expansion and that Alliance and Horde will have to ally to fight it, but in the meantime we ask them to increase tensions. You simply want more PvP.

-> But you can't ask them to be able to have any reward doing anything you want. If I just want to fish all day, should I have the possibility to obtain raid gear ? If I only do PvE, should I be able to obtain PvP gear ? You need to have restriction and rewards than can be obtain an unique and precise way, because if not, the game would not work.
    I am not saying I have the answers at all, if I had the answers ( and you as well) we would be working for a MMO of some sort. Of the things that I listed, it was meant to be vague but I feel they are are hotspots on what needs to be improved. Take "Increased Alliance/Horde tensions" for example, what do we have now and where could it get to? Do you agree that the economy could be better? Do you feel you (or your guild) make a difference in the world? I suspect not but maybe you do, i do not know really.

- - - Updated - - -

When I say I do not have the answers, that is correct, I do not. I do however feel the vibe of what is missing, hard to explain. Since I do not have the answers, that does not mean one of you do not have some great idea's individually or collectively as a group discussion, and getting to some specific ideas.

Sounds like you should go play ArcheAge OP.

Honestly though, all of what you listed could be easily done with WoW, no need to have to re-make everything...again.

Quote Originally Posted by nekai View Post
    Sounds like you should go play ArcheAge OP.

Honestly though, all of what you listed could be easily done with WoW, no need to have to re-make everything...again.
    I was not saying it could not be done within WoW, I hope it is done.

I'll keep the current model if possible, thank you. The WoW model of doing things has kept me interested for 6 years. I tried something else in a game doing things differently (GW2), and I have about 1 month of total /played in it.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-09-03 at 06:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rrjstudio View Post
    you're the kind of player that plagues this game and the type of player ghostcrawler hated designing for
    Then I hope you joined LoL now ^^

I don't think any of the ideas in the OP are really "innovative". However, I do think they would all add good things to the game if implemented properly.

imho - innovative could be something like removing the current leveling system (which most people don't seem to like), and re-doing how progression/questing works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adding more territorial conflicts, forging friendships because it would be beneficial and encouraging political alliances will assist in getting to the next level.
    id love something like this. zone conflict is something ive always liked as an idea. how deep it would go im not sure though.

WoW is not a sandbox game. Age of Wushu is probably the most successful one, and even that is completely unknown in NA/EU for a reason. There's no market for it.

There is leaderboard in raiding, has been since MC days. There's leaderboard in PvP. How do you make leaderboard for questing? There's the Loremaster achievement already. Even more difficult and sillier for crafting.

Yes it does, but you need to remember WoW is not economy simulator and it needs to be rather light on content.

Something called Siege of Orgrimmar happened last year... Did you miss it?

What exactly is missing? There is already realistic rewards for pve, pvp, pet battles, crafting etc.

Blizzard should really focus on being innovative, take some calculated risks and take their MMO to another level. What do you think?
    There's very little actual innovation in your suggestions. And as a market leader Blizzard does not need or want to take risks because it would be incredibly stupid and they have lot more to lose than win.

There's very little actual innovation in your suggestions. And as a market leader Blizzard does not need or want to take risks because it would be incredibly stupid and they have lot more to lose than win.
    I am pushing for innovation, not necessarily giving specific drilled-down answers here. As a market leader, not being innovative and not taking some risks would probably be responsible for losing that market leadership. It would be incredibly stupid to sit on your laurels don't you think?