Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Just got home. Here is a screenshot of it idle.

I will take my side off and see if I can find out what is making the noise.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is this your new 4690k CPU? Why is it clocked at 2.3Ghz?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that not the "step back" speed. It slows itself down when it's not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Is this your new 4690k CPU? Why is it clocked at 2.3Ghz?
    Yes it is. I don't know. When I originally opened up the ASRock A-Tuning window, it showed 3.8Ghz.

Right now it's showing 3.9 Ghz, it was showing 3.5, 2.5, 0.8.

Must be what the below poster said.

Deleted
    Considering idle, chassis fan 1 speed is way too high and so is cpu fan2. If you got those connected to mobo you either have to setup a custom profile if the mobo software for some reason doesn't do it, or have them at 5/7 volts from psu.

Ok.

So for Chassis Fan 1 and CPU 1/CPU 2 fan I am able to change the fan speed % based on temperature of the CPU.

Currently for both fans between 0-50 C it is set to 65% fan speed.
    @ 60C it's 70% speed
    @ 70C it's 75% speed
    @ 75-79C it's 80% speed
    @ 80-100C it's at 100% speed

What should I change here?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you still not popped open the case to see what exactly is making the noise?

I did. I think it's just the fans, there are 6 total so I would assume they wouldn't be 100% quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I should note, like above where my CPU frequency fluctuated, as is my speed fan.

Currently at 3.9 Ghz it's at 2509 RPM for chassus fan1 and around 2100 for CPU fan 2.

When the fan speed drops, chassis 1 drops toa bout 1200 with CPU fan 2 dropping to about 1000.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone?

Also what are these "molex connectors" someone mentioned? When I was watching my computer being put together, the fans were all plugged into the mobo.

Deleted
    Molex is an older connection type using four larger pins than the other fans. It's powered by that connector.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but I don't fully understand what you are trying to explain. CPU clock fluctuates when you don't need it depending on whether it's enabled or not (forgot it reflected it in some monitoring programs which is why I asked). Fan speeds are suppose to fluctuate depending on the temps assuming they are in the motherboard. The CPU Fan MUST be connected to the designated CPU Fan port, the rest can just be plugged into the other case/chassis fan ports. Kost was saying that 2500RPMs seems high for basically idle load, and the temps seem relatively fine at that load, but you need to see where the temps are under an actual load and not just idle. Play a game and monitor the temps. See where it sits.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/5...-Wholesale.jpg

That's a Molex cable. They are PSU powered connections. Fans can be plugged into those, but the motherboard is always recommended.

Also, you said you think it's the fans, but it's important to know which fan. Even if that means unplugging fans one by one. Otherwise it's hard to help. If it's all the case fans then it's likely just as loud as it's suppose to be.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-09-30 at 04:26 PM.

I'm sorry but I don't fully understand what you are trying to explain. CPU clock fluctuates when you don't need it depending on whether it's enabled or not (forgot it reflected it in some monitoring programs which is why I asked). Fan speeds are suppose to fluctuate depending on the temps assuming they are in the motherboard. The CPU Fan MUST be connected to the designated CPU Fan port, the rest can just be plugged into the other case/chassis fan ports. Kost was saying that 2500RPMs seems high for basically idle load, and the temps seem relatively fine at that load, but you need to see where the temps are under an actual load and not just idle. Play a game and monitor the temps. See where it sits.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/5...-Wholesale.jpg

That's a Molex cable. They are PSU powered connections. Fans can be plugged into those, but the motherboard is always recommended.

Also, you said you think it's the fans, but it's important to know which fan. Even if that means unplugging fans one by one. Otherwise it's hard to help. If it's all the case fans then it's likely just as loud as it's suppose to be.
    I think it's the CPU or GPU fan. Can I unplug those and still run the CPU/GPU?

Maybe I'm making a big deal about it, it's just that I don't know how loud/quiet it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Only if you need or want wireless. Your system board has RJ45 (wired) etherenet built in

Onboard LAN
    LAN Chipset Intel I218V
    Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps

Though if you need wireless Ethernet, I would suggest getting like a $10 USB NIC

*Also, if I could suggest, getting an additional 1TB spindle drive may not be a bad idea either. (for audio & video files, downloads, archives, backups, etc). Just seems to me you'll fill up 250 GB pretty quickly.

** Are you bringing the optical drive(s) over from your previous rig? (BluRay/DVD)

*** I like those heat sinks
    Wouldn't having an ethernet card reduce cpu usage? my framerates and smoothness in games improved when I got a sound card and ethernet card instead of using onboard. my cpu is only a i7 -3820 so might have a lot more to gain then his.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The percentage used on Sound and Ethernet are so low, it's not even worth it. It's like 1%.

Velky, you can unplug the fan for a brief moment just to verify. As for the GPU all you really can do is take it out and see if the noise is gone.

The percentage used on Sound and Ethernet are so low, it's not even worth it. It's like 1%.

Velky, you can unplug the fan for a brief moment just to verify. As for the GPU all you really can do is take it out and see if the noise is gone.
    I assume this can be done while the machine is on? Unplug and replug?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    I assume this can be done while the machine is on? Unplug and replug?
    Preferably off if the noise can be heard on boot. If not then yea just unplug it real quick and once you determine if it's the problem just plug it back in.