1. #1

    Avast picking up virus that malwarebytes missed

    I regularly scan with malwarebytes. Probably once a week. I ran a scan that came up clean earlier tonight. But when I ran avast, it picked up a .htm file as malicious. The virus description is HTML:Iframe-inf. I thought malwarebytes was supposed to be better than avast?

  2. #2
    That's Linux server malware that targets WordPress installs, not sure how you ended up with that on your system. Though, I suppose it's worth mentioning if that you own a WordPress install and downloaded some shady "free" premium themes, this type of malware typically comes packed in and will compromise the site.

    On to your question though, Malwarebytes didn't pick it up since it's not Windows malware and poses no threat to your system.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  3. #3
    I recently set up a Gravatar thing through wordpress. Does this mean anything? And if it poses no threat to my system, what is the point of the virus then?
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2014-09-17 at 02:20 AM.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Saithes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mun
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I recently set up a Gravatar thing through wordpress. Does this mean anything? And if it poses no threat to my system, what is the point of the virus then?
    For Linux server WordPress installs :-P

  5. #5
    Where is my chicken! moremana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,618
    Malwarebytes is not a anti-virus software, its malware software, it is designed too run along side of your AV.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Malwarebytes is not a anti-virus software, its malware software, it is designed too run along side of your AV.
    Viruses are malware, Malwarebytes also finds and removes the vast majority of viruses.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Viruses are malware, Malwarebytes also finds and removes the vast majority of viruses.
    He's technically right though. It will remove delivery packages more readily; trojans, worms and so on. But it won't necessarily remove viruses. Malwarebytes even suggests not running Malwarebytes on its own that it is simply a supplement to existing AV services.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

  8. #8
    Where is my chicken! moremana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,618
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Viruses are malware, Malwarebytes also finds and removes the vast majority of viruses.
    Ok, Ill split hairs with you.

    From MB themselves
    Malwarebytes' is not an antivirus, it is basically a program designed to detect and remove infections that most antivirus programs tend to miss or are unable to remove. You should absolutely have an antivirus software along with a good firewall and of course a good antispyware/antimalware app like Malwarebytes'.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Ok, Ill split hairs with you.

    From MB themselves
    Malwarebytes' is not an antivirus, it is basically a program designed to detect and remove infections that most antivirus programs tend to miss or are unable to remove. You should absolutely have an antivirus software along with a good firewall and of course a good antispyware/antimalware app like Malwarebytes'.
    It's not really splitting hairs, you quoted what I basically said in the first place. Malwarebytes removes malware, which includes viruses. Here's a basic rundown of what the word "malware" encompasses, courtesy of Cisco: http://www.cisco.com/web/about/secur...orm-diffs.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    He's technically right though. It will remove delivery packages more readily; trojans, worms and so on. But it won't necessarily remove viruses. Malwarebytes even suggests not running Malwarebytes on its own that it is simply a supplement to existing AV services.
    Do you have some sort of source that Malwarebytes specifically will not remove traditional viruses? It would be news to many (especially those who use their techbench licenses).
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Do you have some sort of source that Malwarebytes specifically will not remove traditional viruses? It would be news to many (especially those who use their techbench licenses).
    https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc...irus-software-

    Now that might not apply to the commercial/pro product. But MBAM is meant to supplement shortcomings, not replace them entirely.

    Personally and at the office I use VIPRE, it's fucking amazing.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc...irus-software-

    Now that might not apply to the commercial/pro product. But MBAM is meant to supplement shortcomings, not replace them entirely.

    Personally and at the office I use VIPRE, it's fucking amazing.
    I'm not arguing that MBAM is an AV replacement, I'm pointing out that it will remove viruses. I'd also be wary of Vipre, AV Comparatives doesn't even recognize them as a viable security solution anymore due to their consistent poor performance in lab tests. There's plenty of better security software available.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,542
    viruses are malware, and malwarebytes should pick them up, the reason its not a AV replacement is that it does not run constantly in the background

    OP, newer malware is designed to bypass certain AV programs, i was just reading today about a waterhole attack that was designed to get around kaspersky, no AV is truly best, if you want a clearer picture, use virustotal

    virustotal compares a file to hashed run with all the major av suites, not just one or two


    the reason that one AV program picks up a virus that another doesn't is that they are made by for profit companies who write their own signatures, that they don't share with their competitors,

    if you truly want your system to be safe you need to run all the AV suites, being more practical you only need one, but never assume you are 100% protected, in fact most of your protection is going to come from having a good firewall (aka router)


    personally i just use the MSE built in to 8.1, there are combinations of programs you can use to greatly enhance security, but all you really need is any basic AV, hackers look for low hanging fruit, you only need to not be the lowest on the tree
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2014-09-17 at 11:19 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    OP, newer malware is designed to bypass certain AV programs, i was just reading today about a waterhole attack that was designed to get around kaspersky, no AV is truly best, if you want a clearer picture, use virustotal
    If it can bypass Kaspersky, it can bypass any AV. Of course, it won't be able to deal with Comodo, but that's a whole different type of defense.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'm not arguing that MBAM is an AV replacement, I'm pointing out that it will remove viruses. I'd also be wary of Vipre, AV Comparatives doesn't even recognize them as a viable security solution anymore due to their consistent poor performance in lab tests. There's plenty of better security software available.
    Yeah but they've also got Trend Micro listed just short of the second coming of Christ and I have had nothing but nightmarish issues with WFBS and the lot.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

  15. #15
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I wanted to ask if the new Malwarebytes 2 is worth buying?

    My free version did an update a few weeks ago, and now it's saying that "my free trial has expired". I can still scan with it, though, but the way the GUI looks, makes me feel like i'm running some useless freeware now. :P
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  16. #16
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    17,030
    Keep in mind... Nothing is 100%. Nothing. I love me some malwarebytes, but I don't expect it to be an impenetrable wall. There is no 'best' because the 'best' won't be next month, and the worst won't be next month. MBAM alone has served me well for upwards of 10 years so I'm happy with it, and wouldn't bother recommending more these days, but its up to the user in the end.

    Personally, I run 0 security features on my system, and run MBAM like once every 6 months.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  17. #17
    The Undying Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    31,500
    malware comes from malicious.... While everything harmful is technically malware, it's still only the head term, and includes a whole variety of sub-terms within.
    The market does not offer 100% protection. Such program does simply not exist. Instead it is better to use more than one and more specialized programs.
    Kaspersky was mentioned.... That ship has sailed.. it used to be the best shit around the block. It's not anymore.. Before Kaspersky there was BlackIce.... Stuff changes... All in all, Kaspersky is now news from yesterday.

    I personally use Avast and Malwarebytes. Avast is always active, Malwarebytes I start manually every now and then.
    Works like a charm....
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  18. #18
    Old God Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    10,852
    Generaly you need 3 programs to check your system for anything:
    *random anti-virus program*
    *Malvarebytes
    *Spybot...search and destroy

    I run it every 2 weeks and i always find something on computer....well most of time infected tracking cookies.

    I also recomend those programs for net surfing:
    Adblock....blocks adds and also stuff that can instal
    DoNotTrackme...hides you from advertising companys. (also hides your email so it cant be spamed)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    malware comes from malicious.... While everything harmful is technically malware, it's still only the head term, and includes a whole variety of sub-terms within.
    The market does not offer 100% protection. Such program does simply not exist. Instead it is better to use more than one and more specialized programs.
    Kaspersky was mentioned.... That ship has sailed.. it used to be the best shit around the block. It's not anymore.. Before Kaspersky there was BlackIce.... Stuff changes... All in all, Kaspersky is now news from yesterday.

    I personally use Avast and Malwarebytes. Avast is always active, Malwarebytes I start manually every now and then.
    Works like a charm....
    Kaspersky has consistently been ranked in the top 3 in regards to detection rates, heuristics, performance, etc for years. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that their ship has sailed.

    Here's pretty much the most reputable source of AV labs available:

    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

    Kaspersky even managed the #1 spot factoring all 12~ or so quarterly tests over the course of the year with 0-day malware.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-09-19 at 03:08 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •