Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    take pills to dull your autism and you wont have to defend video games

Please do not insult other users.
    Last edited by Sj; 2014-09-22 at 05:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best way is to counter the argument by discrediting whatever they consider more valid.
    In reality, all recreation is a valid form of subjective entertainment.
    Unfortunately, and I myself and included in this, many people play games so much that it effects their daily routine in a dramatic way. This is when they are indefensible, but the way I look at it is I am still enjoying myself.

The number 1 solution I always bring up is that I have met and created friendships with people from all over the globe, where as nearly everyone in my home town never even meets some one out of this state.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

It's 2014, everyone is offended by everything. Outrage culture has run amok. Everyone thinks they know what everyone else should be doing.

Don't worry about it, do what you like, tell people to mind their own f'ing business.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's his parents he probably got told to do chores and gets all uppity cause its biting into his gaming time and people dont understand him, and they probably said stop wasting your life in front of that stupid screen, sadly i was the same but i was 13 at the time not bloody 20.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Who exactly are you defending video games from?
    Darkspawn, Reapers, Combine, Covenant, Flood, Zombies, the Burning Legion, Hyperion, Alduin, etc, etc, etc.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    With a blunt object, or mace.

Maybe try out a family game night, have someone else play Candy Crush on your phone, show off Lumosity or Wii Fit, ask what positive hobbies another might have and draw comparisons, play the "don't be so judgmental" card...
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    It's his parents he probably got told to do chores and gets all uppity cause its biting into his gaming time and people dont understand him, and they probably said stop wasting your life in front of that stupid screen, sadly i was the same but i was 13 at the time not bloody 20.
    Pretty much this.

Instead of getting all defensive and playing the victim card, maybe consider that these people are looking out for you and are concerned that your gaming time is effecting your health and mental state.

Hello Boo8er.

I just saw your post about "How can I defend video game?." So I decided to create an account to give you some info that you can use to help defend video games. This info is the same info I used in a paper I wrote about one year ago in college detailing why video games are in fact good, and that paper is now being used by a College professor to teach new students how to write research papers.

Here are the links that hold the info that I used in my paper.

gamesandlearning.org/2013/11/15/game-play-has-no-negative-impact-on-kids-uk-study-finds/?utm_content=buffer81f5c&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/04/video-games-dyslexia_n_2805895.html

huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/video-games-good-for-us_n_4164723.html

ideas.time.com/2011/12/07/video-games-dont-make-kids-violent/

huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/24/video-games-brain-starcraft-cognitive-flexibility_n_3790610.html

huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/brain-games-slow-aging_n_3203116.html

ted.com/talks/daphne_bavelier_your_brain_on_video_games/transcript This link is a transcript of a video, which you can watch on the left hand side of the page.

I hope this can help you to defend video games, also sorry about not making them links that you can click mmo-c will not let me post links as a newly created account.

Never mind looks like a found away around mmo-c no post links thing for newly created accounts.

Doesn't need defending, video games are growing bigger every year. There will come a time where it will be rare to find someone who never played a video game.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo8er View Post
    I am 20 and I am very passionate about video games. But one of my pet peeves is that this is the year 2014 and I still see many people who are very anti video games in this day and age. Many people still see video games as a waste of time, violent, addictive, or bad for you. I am kind of tired of it and I hope that I can change the perspective of them. And this whole thing about video games being bad for you is nothing really new. Older generations or people have always been skeptical of new media. Everything from writing, Novels, Comic Books, Radio, Movies, Television, Computers, Dungeons and Dragons, The Internet, Social Media, Smartphones, etc. Has been blamed for corrupting children, teens and adults, and even threatening civilization itself. I find that it is ironic that many of the same complaints of earlier media like I have listed above sound just like the complaints over video games today. I was wondering if you have some new information or other info that can help me on defending one of my passions that would be great. Thanks.
    The best defense is time. You just got to wait it out.

The subset of the older generation that are anti-video games already have their minds made up, nothing you say will mean anything to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    It's 2014, everyone is offended by everything. Outrage culture has run amok. Everyone thinks they know what everyone else should be doing.

Don't worry about it, do what you like, tell people to mind their own f'ing business.
    I have nothing constructive to add other than I agree.

The cynical part of me suspects that it's hugely manufactured by the press hungry for eyeballs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    It is offensive to suggest everyone is offended by everything. I am outraged by your post. You like shouldn't be posting, or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    When people are closeminded there's no need to defend videogames, stupidity is pretty much the first wall you will find, hell... remember when rock used to be hated and called satanist music? (then metal came up and same thing happened) it's just a circlejerk.

Even people who are on your family and "dislike games" may try casual games like bejeweled.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming is pretty much the scapegoat for anything bad in the early 2000. Someone is anti-social? GAMES! Someone is depressed? GAMES! School Shooting?!? GAMES!!! It's just the latest trend and the most popular thing to scapegoat for anything negative in our society. It'll most likely just blow over with time or when the next "bad" thing happens.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Let the haters hate. People like that will say how video games are a waste of time but yet they'll watch football games and watch the news all day but that wouldn't be considered a waste of time because it's sports and news. People like that don't realize that other people have their own ways of living life whether it be hiking or playing video games all day. I could say hiking is a waste of time because there's nothing there but dirt and trees and rocks (I don't actually think this, I'd love to go hiking someday). Video games is as much of a waste of time as watching sports or watching the news or hanging our with friends and doing nothing but talking all day. It's only a waste of time if you're doing something you don't like to do which is why these people think like this towards video games.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo8er View Post
    this is the year 2014 and I still see many people who are very anti video games in this day and age. Many people still see video games as a waste of time, violent, addictive, or bad for you. I am kind of tired of it and I hope that I can change the perspective of them
    Hey Don Quixote, meet Windmill.

No, but seriously. Don't bother. Games, be they video (PC, console, arcade), tabletop, pnp RPG, or whatever, have always been seen as some kind of a bad thing. That's never going to change. Same goes for music, TV, movies, and who knows what else before that. Radio, I'm sure. Theater. And whatever new may come in the next century.

If you're friends with people who think that way, then I'd say you should rather ask yourself why you're friends with them to begin with, than try to change their opinion, and why bother with what random people think, because as I said before, on the whole, you can't change a damn thing.

Deleted
    My usual comparison is comparing it to watching TV, a film etc. Any sort of home entertainment that requires you to sit and watch to me is just the same as playing video games, whether it be console or PC.

Deleted
    I agree with Sky High here... I'm older than you, and I play SNES whenever I'm in a bad mood.. who can stay in a bad mood when listening to the sound of Super Mario? So I totally get you here

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    "I'm a productive member of society and it is one of the hobbies that I choose to occupy my spare time with."

Note: The above may not work if you are not seen as a productive member of society.
    if he gets so worked out about electronic toys, I really doubt he is productive. hell, i doubt he even washes his own underwear.

You don't have to defend something you enjoy doing. It people have a problem with it, then guess what?

It's their problem.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    My usual comparison is comparing it to watching TV, a film etc. Any sort of home entertainment that requires you to sit and watch to me is just the same as playing video games, whether it be console or PC.
    I've always taken this one step further. Watching movies (which I do love) or television is worse than playing video games to me.

Video games are at least a level of interaction, involving hand-eye coordination and can require critical thinking skills, reaction/reflexes, or reading depending on the genres you're playing. If you're playing online with others, that can build friendships (even amidst the trash talk).