Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Why do people give credence to fucking celebrities?

Last I checked Ms. Watson was not exactly an expert in gender issues. It's like people see a celebrity side with something, and automatically join them from some ingrained need to feel closer to them.
    To be fair, who's gonna get more attention, some actual expert, or Ms. Watson?

Also, sometimes it's easier for people to connect with someone when they're not using jargon.

I think that people should stop acting the victim and understand that everyone has problems. We're all suffering, why should women's issues be more immediate than anyone else's? Because we still live in a society that treats women as fragile people who are more in need of protection than men, which ironically, is something that most feminists are against. This is also why breast cancer gets tons of awareness, while prostate cancer gets none. And don't get me wrong, I'm not one for men's rights either. I think everyone in the first world should calm down and be grateful for the wonderful freedom that they have, and understand that we all have our burdens to deal with.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    so an egalitarian, altruistic mindset not rooted in misinformation and narcissism (tumblr) is a good thing? who could have seen that coming. I agree that gender issues are not limited to either gender, and to varying degrees across the world. so why they continue to call it "feminism" when it should reflect individual rights and representation is beyond me. I know semantics, but if the very word you use deters people from a good cause then maybe it's time to think of a more appropriate name.
    Exactly! This is how I feel too.

A name change would do wonders for the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    To be fair, who's gonna get more attention, some actual expert, or Ms. Watson?
    The people whose mind you're hoping to change are probably just thinking "tits or GTFO."
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Deleted
    And sexism is not hating women. Guess none hates eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Watch the video starring Emma Watson in the link, it is pretty powerful.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/22/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c2

I think that Emma Watson makes a powerful statement regarding perceptions of feminism and the lack of gender EQUALITY globally. That is not to say that there is not a place for men's rights, but that women also have a long way to go regarding equality of the sexes, particularly in parts of the world where women are seen as little more than property, and are not allowed to attend school, vote, own property, or drive a car.

Hopefully this thread will be more mature than previous threads on the topic. Note Watson's words in the video: "Men, gender equality is your issue, too...men do not have the benefits of equality, either."
    correct Feminism does not equate to man hating
    problem the movement has is man haters call them selves feminist, and use feminism to justify and give creditability to their man hatred so it gave the movement a bad name and stereotype because those man haters have the loudest voice
    not to dissimilar to the conservative movement were a very small minority are racist there for it gave everyone in that moment the label, but what can you do about it you can not force the racist ones not to call them selves conservatives just like you can not force the man haters not to call them selves feminist

10+ Year Old Account
    Labels are powerful things. As long as gender equality is looked at by one side of the spectrum, that label will be a problem. Both feminism and men's rights is a really poor way of solving problems, and even though Feminists tend to hate men's rights they essentially created men's rights by leaving this gaping whole in serious issues they never want to address.

Until both can come together with common sense, you will always need one and the other.

However, in other parts of the world it's still a big problem, but human rights is a problem to begin with in those places.

I would be more inclined to believe 3rd wave feminists were benign if they didn't falsify statistics, vilify men, and attempt to pollute the sciences with the idiocy that is the Feminist Sciences (Ironically they chose to start with Biology, which is a general field in which women are thriving).
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Honestly I think they need to just rebrand the movement to egalitarianism, though it's harder to say. It's at the core the same thing, has heavy support by both genders, and removes some of the taint the feminazis have put on the entire movement with their equality+ attitudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeven View Post
    And sexism is not hating women. Guess none hates eachother.
    Sexism is gender discrimination, and it applies to BOTH sexes. If you want to try troll with the actual correct term, try Misogyny.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lustinus View Post
    Celebrities are the best way to bring light to an issue, whether we like it or not. Siding with a celebrity just to "feel closer to them" is obviously fucking retarded, but I see nothing wrong with seeing a celebrity bring some issue to the table, then realizing it is a REAL issue and siding with them.

I am personally not so much siding with EMMA WATSON HERSELF, but with feminism. That's what this is about.

And honestly, I don't understand why we should discredit someone, simply because they are a celebrity. Emma Watson made a great speech, one that I wouldn't have watched if it wasn't her. I see nothing wrong with that.
    She has no credibility, so I can't discredit it.

Ever seen The Great Dictator, watch the speech part. It sums up the whole celebrity being a voice argument, and pisses all over it.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As far as why we should care about a celebrity championing something?

I say it depends on the celebrity. Miss Watson is a smart young woman who decided to pursue college even though she had enough money to live on for the rest of her life. That earns her my respect and so I'll pay attention to what she has to say.

If it was Kim Kardashian on the other hand? Who gives a shit.

Deleted
    No but Feminism is a label hijacked by manhaters and femalesupremacists

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think that Emma Watson makes a powerful statement regarding perceptions of feminism and the lack of gender EQUALITY globally. That is not to say that there is not a place for men's rights, but that women also have a long way to go regarding equality of the sexes, particularly in parts of the world where women are seen as little more than property, and are not allowed to attend school, vote, own property, or drive a car.

Hopefully this thread will be more mature than previous threads on the topic. Note Watson's words in the video: "Men, gender equality is your issue, too...men do not have the benefits of equality, either."
    I agree that we should be pushing for female rights in places where women are seen as nothing but property, but that's not in the west so it's a bit hard to root for "Feminism" when some loud mouthed priviliged piece of shit shouts "MISOGONY, RAPE, ALL MEN ARE PIGS" each time someone disagrees with her, here in the west. Rather than going onto the streets declaring women are opressed in countries where they aren't these "Feminists" should focus their efforts on actually getting equal rights in countries that actually need "Feminism"

PS: If you actually are for Equality and not just women's rights you shouldn't be calling yourself Feminists

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Men are dispensable, we always have been....Women aren't. haven't really heard feminists deal with that much. Actually I've never heard anyone talk about it besides authors and professors.
    Unless we start cloning, then neither sex can be dispensable.

Couldn't we just rename feminism to what it should be; Equal Rights Activist?

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

10+ Year Old Account
    Men are dispensable, we always have been....Women aren't. haven't really heard feminists deal with that much. Actually I've never heard anyone talk about it besides authors and professors.
    Maybe you are, but not I. And this is the precise reason why feminism isn't taken seriously.

You can't fully experience what others have been through.

You'll notice the people who say feminism is all about man-hating or that it was hijacked are often the people who perpetuate the stereotype itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The people whose mind you're hoping to change are probably just thinking "tits or GTFO."
    Well, I wouldn't be shocked if people just changed their opinion based on looks, but I'm hoping there's people that are her fans because of more than her looks.

And I didn't just mean changing minds, I meant grabbing attention in general. Do you think this thread would of existed if an expert said something? If anything, it would of been people laughing saying "Well DUH, why are they even an expert in this field when it took them so long to point out the obvious"

No one's dispensable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You'll notice the people who say feminism is all about man-hating or that it was hijacked are often the people who perpetuate the stereotype itself.
    Yes, the people who say that they believe that the feminist movement is anti-male do perpetuate the idea that it is anti-male. That's common sense and I do not see what this adds to the discussion at hand.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Please feel free to list those reason.

Given your post history, this should be good.
    There will never be equality. Case in point "women and children first" and "a woman can hit a man and its funny but if a man hits a woman he goes to jail". There will never be true equality especially when feminism only wants the positives of equality with none of the negatives that would come with it.

Also if they REALLY wanted more equality for females they are barking up the wrong tree by doing it in western nations. They wanna really try and make a difference they should go to the middle east where women can go to jail for driving a car and need 4 other MALE witnesses to provide proof that she really was raped and also in the middle east women are sent to prison for getting raped.
    Last edited by Xires; 2014-09-22 at 07:41 PM.