Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Smalls

1. Profession building.
    2. Salvage yard. (not that important) Alt: Profession building 2 if you have 2 of them.
    3. Storehouse. (not that important)

Medium:

1. Barn (for epic crafting materials)
    2. Lumber Mill (to get garrison supplies faster)

Large:

1. Dwarven Bunker (Save a small amount of effort and get a bonus token for free)
    2. Whatever.

Realistically, there is no 'ideal set up' as a raider as every single bonus provided by the Garrison is effectively quality of life (except for profession buildings, make sure you have your professions covered). Ideally you want a Dwarven Bunker to save a little effort, but even that isn't required. Pick the buildings with benefits you like, none of them matter all that much.

And I'm back after finally finding the tweet I was looking for:
    How long do work orders take, and are extra work orders intended to just be "do 5 dailies on alt and come back in a week"?
    Each will eventually resolve in about a day I believe, letting you queue more so you don't need to log in daily.
    Source: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/508843326188318720

If the work orders are still planned to be 1 day each and the 4 hour ones are meant to be faster than "work orders so slow I can't test" but slower than "instant shinies", that makes the storehouse completely useless.

At 4 hours each, you can set up 20 hours of work orders(28 with storehouse) assuming level 3 work order building and level 3 storehouse.
    At 1 day each, you can set up 5(7) days with level 3 buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    And I'm back after finally finding the tweet I was looking for:

Source: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/508843326188318720

If the work orders are still planned to be 1 day each and the 4 hour ones are meant to be faster than "work orders so slow I can't test" but slower than "instant shinies", that makes the storehouse completely useless.

At 4 hours each, you can set up 20 hours of work orders(28 with storehouse) assuming level 3 work order building and level 3 storehouse.
    At 1 day each, you can set up 5(7) days with level 3 buildings.
    yeah, it is mainly worthless for players like ´us´ but it is useful for players that don´t play often.

I really don´t see anything that is ´must have´ for your raiding character. You can put the barn on alts, and the ´free´ token is rather insignificant.. saves you maybe 15 minutes per week.

Saved for later. Thanks.

I really like that there appears to be some real customization available for Garrisons. Despite the OP giving an "optimal" setup, there are conflicting opinions that appear valid. While some buildings seem to be more critical than others, some appear to be very much up to your own preference. That being said, some seem to be somewhat useless for the raider. That information, I think is more important so that I don't waste my time on one that won't provide any real benefit, at least relative to the alternative.

Thanks for the post, OP, will save for later.

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    I really like that there appears to be some real customization available for Garrisons. Despite the OP giving an "optimal" setup, there are conflicting opinions that appear valid. While some buildings seem to be more critical than others, some appear to be very much up to your own preference. That being said, some seem to be somewhat useless for the raider. That information, I think is more important so that I don't waste my time on one that won't provide any real benefit, at least relative to the alternative.

Thanks for the post, OP, will save for later.
    for the record - I didn't give "optimal" setup, but rather what I believed at that time to be the best. And I sole purpose of this thread was to come up with some idea what is the closest to an optimal setup.

right now I am after a weekend of garrison testing - got some ideas that are waiting to write down. One thing that was a surprise for me was Salvage Yard which you get at level 97 or after a quest in Spires - so immediately this changes a lot of our assumptions in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say as an engineer or a mage, the storehouse doesn't have much worth, does it?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

it has no real worth worth for anyone
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Wasn't it announced that stables are required for the best stat food? Savage feasts? Would be required in there for raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Skul View Post
    Wasn't it announced that stables are required for the best stat food? Savage feasts? Would be required in there for raiding.
    that's the barn.. not the stables ^^_^ and there is no "optimal", the people who say that is delusional.. IMO.

The more I read about the Garrison and the gearing paths, the more I lean towards the conclusion that if the goal is progress for my guild, my time is better spent practicing raid relevant skills in a group setting than on improving the garrison. Mostly, it seems to be about gold. And I'm rich. Tagging timber at start means delayed leveling.

What will the time investment be to be able to get Mythic gear from follower missions? And how many weeks after launch will it be possible?
    Last edited by Hildrande; 2014-10-08 at 12:12 AM.

This is what I'm thinking of going with as a raiding Engineer/Alchemist Elemental Shaman. Thoughts are welcome and constructive criticism encouraged.

http://wod.wowhead.com/garrison-calc...mFOz8D-JQ4cFEq

Deleted
    What's a good strategy for multiple garrisons, if the goal is to support a main? Any kind of passive resource generation would be ideal. At the moment my plan is to play through on my alts until I unlock the garrisons. Then I'll let the resources tick over until I decide what to do with them, which could be many months down the road for a given alt.
    Last edited by mmoceabe269a72; 2014-10-13 at 11:06 AM.

Only thing I can possibly see being of any real importance would be your profession-relevant buildings so you can get your upgradeable patterns, especially as an engineering hunter... maybe the savage leather generation. Other than that, nothing seems that important for a raider. Which I'm glad for, I can focus on fun stuff and dump tons of resource-generating buildings on alts.

I suppose I'll want a blacksmith forge as an engineer, since there tends to be a good deal of crossover for those materials.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2014-10-13 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothamgoblin View Post
    What's a good strategy for multiple garrisons, if the goal is to support a main? Any kind of passive resource generation would be ideal. At the moment my plan is to play through on my alts until I unlock the garrisons. Then I'll let the resources tick over until I decide what to do with them, which could be many months down the road for a given alt.
    There's very little 'passive' garrison resource regeneration. You get an amount every day outside your town hall and that's about it. You can trade stuff in at the Trade Post for some and you can turn lumber into it, but both of those use work orders.

I suppose I'll want a blacksmith forge as an engineer, since there tends to be a good deal of crossover for those materials.
    Engineering seems to use Gearspring parts? That comes from raw ore or the Engineering building, not the Truesteel the Forge provides.
    Last edited by Matchu; 2014-10-13 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothamgoblin View Post
    most of the "things" generated by buildings is BoP, however I imagine having multiple barns producing savage blood will be extremely beneficial (barns seem to be the only way to get savage blood)
    and for leveling toons that are not enchanters - enchanters hut where you can d/e quest rewards might come in handy (d/e mats are still not BoP so you can mail it to your enchanter)

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    There's very little 'passive' garrison resource regeneration. You get an amount every day outside your town hall and that's about it. You can trade stuff in at the Trade Post for some and you can turn lumber into it, but both of those use work orders.

Engineering seems to use Gearspring parts? That comes from raw ore or the Engineering building, not the Truesteel the Forge provides.
    Oh yeah? I guess I'd just kindof assumed Engineering would use the cooldown bars from blacksmithing like it has every expansion. That's good to know. In the case, alchemy building for sure! My alt can get a forge anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    most of the "things" generated by buildings is BoP, however I imagine having multiple barns producing savage blood will be extremely beneficial (barns seem to be the only way to get savage blood)
    and for leveling toons that are not enchanters - enchanters hut where you can d/e quest rewards might come in handy (d/e mats are still not BoP so you can mail it to your enchanter)
    I noticed the enchanting work order isn't bop, so that could be a nice option for alts.

Fractured Temporal Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    I was wondering about that for my main. I.e. if it's viable to build an Echanter's Study just to d/e while questing, and later raze it to build something more useful. Doing so will cost 50 garrison resources and 150 gold (not counting in the gold you'd get from selling the quest rewards). Enchanting materials were usually pretty expensive at the beginning of an expansion, so this might easily be worth it. Any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post
    I was wondering about that for my main. I.e. if it's viable to build an Echanter's Study just to d/e while questing, and later raze it to build something more useful. Doing so will cost 50 garrison resources and 150 gold (not counting in the gold you'd get from selling the quest rewards). Enchanting materials were usually pretty expensive at the beginning of an expansion, so this might easily be worth it. Any opinions?
    thats pretty much my plan - right now im just thinking if I'll keep enchanter's hut till 100lvl or swap it for salvage yard at 97lvl