Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why does everyone like spirit so much!?

From what I can tell, if I took my current gear and stacked spirit I could get to about 15000 spirit, at the cost of around 9% mastery, 4% crit, and 3000 spell power. This would put me at around 18000/5 mana regen, and we'll round up just for the hell of it and say 20,000/5 regen. Over the course of a 3 minute fight, this is going to equate to ~145,000 mana. If I were to put this in terms of how many spells I would be gaining for free per fight it would be basically 8 flash heals, or ~11 prayer of healing.

Now, let's say I don't get ANY spirit from my gear period, which is almost impossible, but say I only have 6000/5 mana regen. That means over the course of a 3 min fight I would only regen ~15,000 mana which is almost 1 flash heal.

The question I'm asking myself, is 7 flash heals worth losing so much throughput? When we consider that the harder a spell hits, the more efficient it becomes, and theoretically the less spells you have to cast.

Someone please help me see the light?

Deleted
    Not sure what your definition of "everyone" is tbh. A lot of healers stay away from spirit in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    Not sure what your definition of "everyone" is tbh. A lot of healers stay away from spirit in my experience.
    Same. They set a cap and use intellect after that.

Wrong forum, i think this is better suited for some priest class forum?

Nowadays, spirit is obsolete in raidgear. Back in Heart of fear, and terrace , i remember running about 14 k spirit in heroic progress, as resto shaman in 10 man with itemlvl of roundabout 500.
    Metasocket from leg quest, and the abundance of spirit on the high ilvl gear (550+) makes any healer reforging out of spirit as hard as they can. I still have 11 k in 580 gear, and its more then i need.

why bother with flasheal (at current content single target heals are used VERY rarely) when u can cast your highest ae throughput spell (prayer as holy?) nearly the whole time of a fight without ever gooing oom?

Don't spam flash heals as often, and spirit doesn't become as large of a concern.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    Wrong forum, i think this is better suited for some priest class forum?

Nowadays, spirit is obsolete in raidgear. Back in Heart of fear, and terrace , i remember running about 14 k spirit in heroic progress, as resto shaman in 10 man with itemlvl of roundabout 500.
    Metasocket from leg quest, and the abundance of spirit on the high ilvl gear (550+) makes any healer reforging out of spirit as hard as they can. I still have 11 k in 580 gear, and its more then i need.

why bother with flasheal (at current content single target heals are used VERY rarely) when u can cast your highest ae throughput spell (prayer as holy?) nearly the whole time of a fight without ever gooing oom?
    I'm about 550 iLevel, just came back to the game about a month ago after not playing my priest since ICC progression, back then we just spammed all of our spells constantly, now I have a lot of trouble not going OOM all the time, I'm begging for an innervate or mana tide on almost any fight that produces heavy raid damage. Usually if I use my cool downs effectively, I only barely run out of mana, but on some fights, especially galakras towards the end, I can go completely oom and have nothing left. I've been trying to find a way to combat this, and everyone and their dog told me to increase my spirit...

Even if I stacked nothing but spirit, I could never just chain cast prayer of healing, pom, coh, and cascade. I would be out of mana in a heart beat. That being said, that's not usually required and even if I did that, I would in no way compete with druids rolling hots. I raid with 2 resto druids, so I'm trying to be more of throughput hard hitter for those times when the tank is taking massive damage or someone gets almost killed.

That's why I came here, was because when I was researching how to do the proven healer achievement, which I now have, I was stacking spirit etc and then after I re-forged / gemmed / enchanted everything into Int, I was able to get the achievement, since then I've approached it the same way in raiding. I guess it's just a problem with holy or maybe my guild takes too much unnecessary damage, but I find that no matter what I do, either I heal for almost nothing or I am out of mana constantly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    From what I can tell, if I took my current gear and stacked spirit I could get to about 15000 spirit, at the cost of around 9% mastery, 4% crit, and 3000 spell power. This would put me at around 18000/5 mana regen, and we'll round up just for the hell of it and say 20,000/5 regen. Over the course of a 3 minute fight, this is going to equate to ~145,000 mana. If I were to put this in terms of how many spells I would be gaining for free per fight it would be basically 8 flash heals, or ~11 prayer of healing.

Now, let's say I don't get ANY spirit from my gear period, which is almost impossible, but say I only have 6000/5 mana regen. That means over the course of a 3 min fight I would only regen ~15,000 mana which is almost 1 flash heal.

The question I'm asking myself, is 7 flash heals worth losing so much throughput? When we consider that the harder a spell hits, the more efficient it becomes, and theoretically the less spells you have to cast.

Someone please help me see the light?
    Unsure where you're getting your numbers from, 20k/5 regen over 3 minutes is definately not 140k mana, try 700k :x

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved spirit back in Wrath when my Warlock and Mage significantly benefited from it. Miss those days.

Yeah, I was dividing 20k by 5 and then multiplying by 12 instead of 60 lol, no wonder that made no sense. I'm a little stressed, taking a major college exam today.

People that Gear/Gem/Enchant/Stack for Spirit Like to waste Mana. I myself dont Gem/Flask/Enchant for Spirit, but like it on my gear, My Co-Healer Normally Reforges out of most of his spirit (Has a comfortable Cap, Keeps around that level). The Difference i see between myself and the Co-Healer in my raid is minimal in normal circumstances. Were Both Disc Priests and our Numbers are normally pretty much the same

I just like the Option to Toss a Flash heal + a PW:S out to Save From Save someone from dying while my Other Healer Drops a Gheal on them a second later. Could I do better at mana management, yeah, but at this point in the xpac, it doesnt really matter.

The only spec that somewhat uses spirit is holy priests. Every other spec gems etc something completly else. Off the top of my head:

Druids - Mastery.
    Disc priest - Crit.
    Holy paladins - Mastery.
    Resto shamans - Crit.
    Mistweavers - Crit.

Heck, for Rsham, MW and disc it's probably the lowest valued stat you can get. So you have some very weird experiences.

No priest that knows what they are doing "likes" spirit. Some go as low as 6-7k with the meta gem. (disc not holy)

I suggest you go to the priest forums because if your bread and butter spells as either spec are flash heal/ poh you are doing it very wrong.

Wouldn't you, as a healer, estimate how much mana you burn through during a fight, and then find a good spirit value that allows for some variance in fight length and stress healing? Spirit is hardly a stat that you'd want to always min or max, but rather adjust it to the amount of mana reg you really need. This is what makes it interesting.

Of course, at lower gear levels you'll a) heal less per cast and thus use up more mana and b) have less mana reg to begin with, so effectively you'll want more spirit than with better gear. This doesn't mean you shouldn't re-evaluate every now and then.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-09-27 at 05:07 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

...Did you read what you wrote?

6000 mp5 is 6000 mana every 5 seconds. You'd get 15,000 mana in 12.5 seconds, not 3 minutes.

Similarly, 20,000 mp5 is 720,000 mana over 3 minutes, not 145,000.

Spirit isn't currently very useful for healers because the legendary meta gem lets you function on almost no Spirit, but to say that the entire sum of Spirit on your gear would only let you cast 8 extra heals in 3 minutes is ridiculous. I have no idea where you pulled your total mana numbers from, but they're completely incorrect.

Only reason you end up with 13kish spirit on resto shamans is because as mail wears there really is not a lot of options. Very few pieces have crit/haste on them so you are pretty much forced to take the spirit. I have every single item reforged away from spirit and still end up with 13k.

I can do my optimal rotation for about 3-4 minutes and after that I pray that the boss is dead. You want enough spirit so you can spam your most effective heal constantly or at least as much as possible so if you can't do that stack more spirit until you can.

My rsham only has about 8k spirit. Can end fights with mana to spare.

Crit rating is where the regen comes from. Though for 25m you might need more spirit.

Not sure why you'd think everyone wants spirit? MOST healers are stating out of it entirely. The only toon I actively keep spirit is my shaman, and that's only to enable absurd amounts of chain heal. Everyone has different play styles as well. I like to spam Rejuv until the cows come home, so I don't mind having a little more spirit on my druid. Depends on the class, depends on the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    Only reason you end up with 13kish spirit on resto shamans is because as mail wears there really is not a lot of options. Very few pieces have crit/haste on them so you are pretty much forced to take the spirit. I have every single item reforged away from spirit and still end up with 13k.

I can do my optimal rotation for about 3-4 minutes and after that I pray that the boss is dead. You want enough spirit so you can spam your most effective heal constantly or at least as much as possible so if you can't do that stack more spirit until you can.
    but how ? im runing on 12k spirit and i never can go even close to oom even if i spam chain heal constantly -_- there was 1 time when i ended up close to oom when fight was ending and was wondering what the fuck was going on then i relised i was runing without water shield on -_-

In WoD, will there be any other way to control regen vs power than to switch between spirit and non-spirit gear pieces?

- - - Updated - - -

if I took my current gear and stacked spirit I could get to about 15000 spirit, at the cost of around 9% mastery, 4% crit, and 3000 spell power.
    Thanks for inspiring me, I'm definetly going to do calculations like that in the future whenever I consider my spirit level.

I have to stack as much spirit as possible when I heal because I'm not very good at it and always end up spamming high-mana cost spells