Gaming Laptop - Asus vs MSI vs ???

I have decided to go with a laptop instead of a desktop for mobile reasons.

Should I look into a Asus, MSI or what?

Here is a build I found.

MSI GE70 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop
    Case 1 x MSI GE70 Apache, 17.3" FHD, Anti-Glare 1920x1080
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.5GHz/6MB L3 Cache) [GE70]
    Memory 1 x 16GB [8GB x 2] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - G.SKILL
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 [GE70 2PE Apache]
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 10 ft. Braided HDMI to HDMI Cable (Shielded Cable for maximum interference rejection; 4K resolution ready) - FREE with any System
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - McAfee Antivirus PLUS 2014 - FREE with any System ($49 Value)
    mSATA SSD Drive 1 x 256 GB mSATA SSD - Single Drive
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB 7200rpm Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive - Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x 8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [GE70] - FREE Upgrade to Blu-Ray Reader Combo Drive
    Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x Built-in SD Memory Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
    Sound Card 1 x HD Audio with Creative Soundblaster Cinema
    Network Card 1 x Killer E2200 Gaming Networking
    Internal Wireless Network Adapter 1 x Intel 3160AC 802.11ac Wireless + Bluetooth Combo
    Operating System 1 x Windows 8.1 + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
    USB Ports 1 x Built-in 2x USB 2.0 Ports + 2x USB 3.0 Port [Laptop]
    Webcam 1 x Built-in HD Digital Web Video Camera [MSI]

Total Price: $1,577

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm assuming you don't want to go above $1577?

Let me also add that it seems you've been really searching for a good gaming desktop in other topics you've created. A laptop at that price range will perform no where near an equivalent priced desktop. If you're going to invest into the laptop you might want to really consider if the mobility is a necessity over higher quality gaming. I wouldn't consider the ability to easily move from one room to the other a necessity. Something like being on the road consistently might be a justified reason.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-09-29 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    Here is a build I found.

Total Price: $1,577
    Building out a Sager 8278 with those specs comes to $1534.

Or for $1669, you could get the 8278-S (I personally own one of these, which is basically the same, but I opted for a pair of 1TB hard drives along with the SSD), which has a faster CPU and 870m graphics.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Building out a Sager 8278 with those specs comes to $1534.

Or for $1669, you could get the 8278-S (I personally own one of these, which is basically the same, but I opted for a pair of 1TB hard drives along with the SSD), which has a faster CPU and 870m graphics.
    how do you like your sager???

i bought an MSI Dominator GT70 back in april and i LOVE IT. I was weighing it against an Asus laptop as well but i found that there was about a $400 difference if i wanted to get an Asus laptop with the same specs. chews up any game i throw at it (except for watch_dogs for obvious reasons). The keyboard was developed by steelseries and is an RGB keyboard with FULLY customizable key profiles where macros are concerned. The IPS display has great viewing angles and it feels like it is pretty sturdy.

Only con is the webcam/microphone is pure shit.

This is the one i grabbed. There is one with the newer processor in it but i assume they perform the same.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

Deleted
    LOL, gaming laptop. These things do not exist.
    There is a huge difference between "laptop that can run games" and "gaming laptop". Your case is the first one.

You'd better get a proper desktop and buy a cheap laptop for mobility. Don't waste your money on a mediocre machine just because it's mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    LOL, gaming laptop. These things do not exist.
    There is a huge difference between "laptop that can run games" and "gaming laptop". Your case is the first one.

You'd better get a proper desktop and buy a cheap laptop for mobility. Don't waste your money on a mediocre machine just because it's mobile.
    He didnt ask if he should get a laptop or a desktop. He said that he decided on a laptop and wanted to know which one. This is a pointless post. If you cant contribute then go somewhere else.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    how do you like your sager???
    I quite like it. It performs excellently in everything I've thrown at it and I haven't had any other problems.

Though it's not a light unit at 8.6lbs (and with the power brick is about 10lbs). I'd recommend a good backpack for hauling it around. I personally have a Everki Beacon, which I use to haul my laptop (among other things) on the bus since I got it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters