Deleted

Dr Strangelove: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the WoW

The game has become an oasis for the achievement hoarder and completist/obsessive compulsive for the last few expansions with the introduction of achievements. In addition some people haven't seen the game from the perspective of many characters and want to delve into that. The result of those two approaches is entering a dark realm of struggle to keep up with life's actual demands for time out of the game and enjoyment in the game. One more time portion for that, one more try, let's do this, I have time for that. The result is the game becomes a chore, a torture, a chained person for the beast of monthly fees. Psychologists know well how this works. The human is an animal with instincts designed for the natural habitat, the brain of the human is not designed to recognize what is fake and what is not after a certain point, it may technically think it's fake but the gratification and dopamine for satisfaction is there nonetheless. One more juicycrunch carrot, yes, one more mote of harmony, oh yiss, that's completism, but it offers nothing to the human animal, only to the brain via latent instincts of survival. Don't get me wrong, I recognize the value of athleticism in the game, struggling to improve yourself to overcome something hard, this is strictly about obsessive compulsive behavior with no skill involved, or any benefits beyond virtual coins.

So how did you learn? Did I miss something or what?

wtf did I just read?

Deleted
    I like turtles.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever that guy took, i want some!

On a serious note, i think i missed the point, i can't find head and tail in that post, can you try to rephrase it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    The game has become an oasis for the achievement hoarder and completist/obsessive compulsive for the last few expansions with the introduction of achievements. In addition some people haven't seen the game from the perspective of many characters and want to delve into that. The result of those two approaches is entering a dark realm of struggle to keep up with life's actual demands for time out of the game and enjoyment in the game. One more time portion for that, one more try, let's do this, I have time for that. The result is the game becomes a chore, a torture, a chained person for the beast of monthly fees. Psychologists know well how this works. The human is an animal with instincts designed for the natural habitat, the brain of the human is not designed to recognize what is fake and what is not after a certain point, it may technically think it's fake but the gratification and dopamine for satisfaction is there nonetheless. One more juicycrunch carrot, yes, one more mote of harmony, oh yiss, that's completism, but it offers nothing to the human animal, only to the brain via latent instincts of survival. Don't get me wrong, I recognize the value of athleticism in the game, struggling to improve yourself to overcome something hard, this is strictly about obsessive compulsive behavior with no skill involved, or any benefits beyond virtual coins.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant...ioning_chamber

Thought this was well known, are you only now coming to this realization? This genre of games can go in two directions, simulation of a social hierarchy, with co-dependence being at the core of the gameplay, or a skinner box, the difference being in that the former is a true RPG experience while the latter is nothing but cheap entertainment.
    Last edited by Srg56; 2014-09-30 at 11:22 AM.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Deleted
    So, what are you trying to say OP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dopamine formula for wow is dead. If it stil worked...i would stil play it.
    Achivments dont mean anything too me at all.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    I just look at it this way. What would I be doing if I wasn't playing WOW? In all likelihood, watching movies or TV shows I've seen many times before. Occasionally playing other games I've played before. Or sleeping. I have absolutely no life whatsoever, and WOW gives me something to do so I'm not terribly bored all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiziana View Post
    Whatever that guy took, i want some!

On a serious note, i think i missed the point, i can't find head and tail in that post, can you try to rephrase it?
    He's basically saying that adapting a mindset of being an achievement hunter isn't healthy as a player.

Achieves are great ways to extend content a bit, if you can sway folks into thinking that they're worth pursuing.

Deleted
    Well, it depends on the playing style. You can still enjoy the game and be normal without fixating too much on it's psychotic features.

Deleted
    Cool story, bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    So how did you learn? Did I miss something or what?
    Oh, that's sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

15+ Year Old Account
    So... We enjoy the game because it triggers feelings of enjoyment, but playing the game doesn't offer quantifiable material benefit.

Thank you Captain Obvious.