Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Demonbane always wins.
    No exception.
    Y'all pansy-ass magi can screw right off.

I think this should be limited to characters that more than 5 people have heard of.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering. We're specifically counting spell users, but has it ever been stated that the Q Continuum actually use spells?
    What is magic if not the manipulation of energy, matter, spacetime, and thought? Q have infinite control of all 4 of those things.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    What is magic if not the manipulation of energy, matter, spacetime, and thought? Q have infinite control of all 4 of those things.
    No dice when Demonbane summons infinite copies of Q from infinite parallel universes to fuck your Q up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If im not mistaken, Gandalf is a god in human form, no?

Dresden's cool, but he's honestly not in the same weight class as those others.

And yeah, Dr. Strange would probably wipe the floor with all of them.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    I only know 3 on your list (I refuse to read anything by the Eddings'), but out of those I'd rank them Rand al'Thor, Gandalf, Medivh.

I feel like Nynaeve should be on the list, too. Sword of Truth characters Richard Rahl and Nicci should be on there somewhere, too...
    I can think of dozens of spell users who could beat Richard Rahl or Nicci; Gromph, engaged Rachel Morgan, Newt, Algaliarept, Dumbledore, Voldemort, Snape, McGonegall, Anomander Rake, Brood, Lord Dyrr, Vin, Sazed, Kelsier, the Lord Ruler, Raistlin, any of the Dragon Overlords, Mina, Gandulf, Saruman, Sauron, Melkior, Szeth, Jasnah Kholin, Larloch, Netheril, Ioulaum, Lord Karsus... I could go on.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd put Q more into sci-fi than fantasy, and thus say that what he does isn't "magic."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

Dresden's cool, but he's honestly not in the same weight class as those others.

And yeah, Dr. Strange would probably wipe the floor with all of them.
    What about magic users that are immune/just about immune to magic? Icarium being one. Also Gromph and Lord Dyrr both utilize anti-magic. Mina and Raistlin at the height of their powers are pretty touch contenders as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been reading Malazan book of the Fallen, and although i'm just at book 2, I'd say characters like Anomander rake would wipe the floor with almost any being mentioned here (including gods). but, as i said, i only scratched the bare surface of that particular fantasy universe.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

I have no idea if we are talking mortal spell casters.

If we are talking most powerful "magic", then Eru Iluvatar has absolutely no rival.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Ah ok, I'm probably just remembering it wrong, although Doom is pretty strong too but all quick searches I can't confirm if he actually qualifies as a spell user or not, there was one thing that said his mom was a witch or something, I dunno, comic books get confusing. DOOMBOTS ANYWAY.

Either way, Dr. Strange would be able to take them both on at once.
    Dr. Doom lost to Squirrel Girl. Your argument is invalid lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Dr. Doom lost to Squirrel Girl. Your argument is invalid lol.
    And so did Thanos with the Infinity gauntlet.

Squirrel Girl is obviously in a tier of her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I can think of dozens of spell users who could beat Richard Rahl or Nicci; Gromph, engaged Rachel Morgan, Newt, Algaliarept, Dumbledore, Voldemort, Snape, McGonegall, Anomander Rake, Brood, Lord Dyrr, Vin, Sazed, Kelsier, the Lord Ruler, Raistlin, any of the Dragon Overlords, Mina, Gandulf, Saruman, Sauron, Melkior, Szeth, Jasnah Kholin, Larloch, Netheril, Ioulaum, Lord Karsus... I could go on.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd put Q more into sci-fi than fantasy, and thus say that what he does isn't "magic."

- - - Updated - - -

What about magic users that are immune/just about immune to magic? Icarium being one. Also Gromph and Lord Dyrr both utilize anti-magic. Mina and Raistlin at the height of their powers are pretty touch contenders as well.
    Your mastery of Fantasy is overwhelming! I bow to you good sir!

To the point, I agree Q's are out due to not being spell casters of the "conventional" type, and too close to gods for comfort. And yea, the list is limited as mentioned in the OP to mortals, though no doubt that definition is quite wide, seeing as Belgarath was 10,000 years old at the time of the Belgariad (and yes, I know technicially Belgarion was stronger in the end, but he's just a foolish kid, so I don't count him. Lady Plogara maybe?).
    Last edited by Anglefire; 2014-10-02 at 06:41 PM.

Q is human or humanoid. He just takes on humanoid appearance when interacting with them so he can't be considered per the op

I would say probably Doctor Strange. I think Doctor Fate from DC is more powerful, but disqualified on the count of basically being a god. Gandalf is also pretty much disqualified as well, as he's more of a demigod/archangel, definitely not human.

I could make a case for certain D&D wizards, especially in the 2.0-3.5 era. 4 And 5e D&D have nerfed the characters down to much more mortal power limits. A D&D mage can cause a lot of devastation if they feel like it. I'm pretty sure Karsus could have destroyed the universe if he felt like it, and if none of the gods decided to intervene. Wish was unbelievably powerful in 2e, so much so that without deific intervention a strong enough wizard could delete existence with it.

Doctor Strange at his most powerful though probably wins this.

Of course, the real answer is me! I have the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook! I could spend my afternoon creating a mage so powerful that it's utterly ludicrous. Like, we're talking destroying and remaking existence a trillion times in an instant. Infinite stat scaling systems are fun.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2014-10-02 at 06:49 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    He's more like a lesser angel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maia_%28Middle-earth%29
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Demonbane always wins.
    No exception.
    Y'all pansy-ass magi can screw right off.
    And I can think of at least a dozen different characters that can take a dump on Demonbane. This thread is about humanoid spellcasters though, not god mode characters made by bad authors with the intention of one upping each other's god mode characters. I'm looking at you 1970s Marvel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Pug/Milimbar or Macros the Black
    I'd give the edge to Macros considering he was on the cusp of fusing the god of magic.

Doctors Tier

Dr. Strange
    Dr. Fate
    Dr. Doom
    Dr. Who

That's Some Evocation Tier

Chandra Nalaar
    Aang, the last Airbender
    Harry Dresden

Not actually a Wizard tier

Gandalf
    Althalus
    Q

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps Kefka (FFVI) could give one of those a run for their money?
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Eace View Post
    Perhaps Kefka (FFVI) could give one of those a run for their money?
    Naw I beat him with a feral kid who ate bugs and lived in the desert.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    If she hasn't been listed yet: Bayonetta.

I'm sure it could be argued what level of power it is when it awakens/the method used to awaken it, but Bayonetta literally kills God by throwing it into the sun, making it explode, and then destroys its individual pieces before they can crash into the Earth.
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2014-10-02 at 09:14 PM.