Thread: magicka

10+ Year Old Account

magicka

do u guys know any videos on yt showing some pro gameplays with lots of good spell combinations ? something that would be fun to watch
    Last edited by Proskill; 2014-10-06 at 07:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    1) ive bought magicka on steam while it was on discount. ive read that its quite buggy, but i cant pass the very beginning of the tutorial.
    i pick up the staff, use W to heal myself then press middle mouse button, but nothing actually happens. the order to do it is still there. i cant progress, cant get through the line.

wat do ?
    When you chose your gear, did you choose something that makes you life immune, like for example the Tron gear? If you did, then you can't heal, and the tutorial won't advance. However, you can still destroy the velvet rope by using force attack, which is typically shift+leftclick. You should have some kind of weapon you can use to destroy the rope, and when you do that, the tutorial advances.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    2) and while im on it. how many spell combinations are there ? ive played the gauntlet (2014) made by creators of magicka (arrowhead studios, and that actually made me buy magicka later) where as a mage u have 3 elements and u can mix them up resulting in 9 different spells.
    how does it work in magicka ? ive heard u can have thousands of spells (wtf) but thats probably bullshit
    http://magicka.gamepedia.com/Spell_Combinations

Note that those seem to be only the elemental combinations; there are also specific spells which you release with space.

10+ Year Old Account
    do u guys know any videos on yt showing some pro gameplays with lots of good spell combinations ? something that would be fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Jeebus that's a lot of key combinations to remember.
    In practice you only remember 5-10 mains spells (self-shield/self-wards, rock, meteor spam, QRASER, water bomb and ice sword being the most common important spells), and then you know 10-15 other situational spells that you think about just before starting a fight (usually, once you start engaging another wizard, in 4sec either one is dead or both ends up at the other end of the map, so there is actually a lot of meta-game in what you think your opponent will use and pro-actively countering it, there is very little time for reaction). Magicks are the most annoying ones to remember (some such as Vortex or summon elemental can be a real pain to learn by muscle memory alone ...), but are not often available, and are usually only restricted to a few ones on the most common pvp modes.

In the new "free to play pvp sequel" that they launched (or is it still in beta ?), there is only 3elements per spells, no self-cast (well self-cast and aoe-cast get merged) and no more magicks, making the game a lot more easier to take in hand with a similar amount of depth, so it was quite nice (at least 6 months ago).

edit : also, very little pvp video about original magicka, here is a (pretty impresive) final of a tournament that happen quite a long time ago : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d18rNrxx3w

edit : after (partially) re-watching the video, I have to agree that's it actually pretty hard to follow when you don't know how the game plays. Also the main problem at quite high level is the lag. When you can (and must) launch 3 spells per second, having a 150-300ms definitely does not help.
    Last edited by Bethan; 2014-10-07 at 12:03 AM.