Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Favorite Bad Movies

In my mind, when rating a movie on a scale of 1 to 5, the ones deserving of a 4 are pretty well made; they're movies I could enjoy and possibly be moved by without being caught up by bad acting or crappy story telling. And the ones scoring a 5 are truly great movies with excellent acting/story/directing/etc: Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings, Shawshank Redemption, to name a few. And those are the types of movies that I know I could watch over and over, usually. Sometimes I just have a craving to see one of them again. (As a personal note: I normally don't like re-watching movies. 5/5 movies are about the only ones I can sit through multiple viewings of; and even then, there are many movies I rank a 5 that I couldn't watch again.)

So, what's weird to me is that there are a few movies I can't really rank higher than a 3 or a 4 and yet I can't get enough of them. I'm not talking about "So bad they're good" movies. I'm talking about "I really like this movie but something about it sucks."

Some of my examples:
    Speed (Keano Reeves' acting leaves something to be desired, but om nom me some rampaging bus)
    The Fifth Element (it's so cheesy and obnoxious but a battle during a rock opera in space is so goood -- and I love the elemental stones, even though they get them mixed up in the movie)
    Star Wars Episode I (I might get lynched for admitting this, but I love that terribly directed movie... all of it.... even Jar Jar Binks)
    Matrix II (Such a crappy followup of the first. But the invisible twins, the freeway fight, the architect reading his script from a dictionary -- me gusta mucho)

So what about you guys? Do you have any favorite "Why the hell do I like this movie" movies?

P.S. I bring this up because I've just relented to watching the 5th Element again on Netflix.

Ghost Ship is a guilty pleasure.

Fifth Element and the second Matrix are rarely listed among bad movies I see, but to each their own. Now, Speed II or Matrix: Revolutions, I'd agree with.

For me, however, it'd basically be any Nic Cage flick (Nic flicks, as I call them) ever made. Vampire's Kiss is my favorite, and the only bad movie I test people with to see if they're worthy of being my friend based on their enjoyment of the film.

Right. I'm so used to being in one section of these forums (General OT) that I hardly think about these other ones existing.

[Edit] This comment was made with regards to this thread being moved.
    Last edited by Dendrek; 2014-10-08 at 06:30 AM.

Ali G Inda House by Sasha Baron Cohen. yknow the Borat guy, imo it is his best film, way better than borat, dictator etc.

I personally don't think its a bad movie, but it generally has a crummy rating. really funny, also has Martin Freeman as a lead and a host of actors from Game of Thrones. like the Tywin Lannister dude as the bad guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus :d

Last edited by Yuuki Asuna; 2014-10-08 at 06:33 AM.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Deleted
    I don't know if they are considered bad but I love all of Leslie Nielsens movies.

Can't go wrong with some Airplane! and the Naked Gun movies

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you were around in the 1980s or have a taste for old horror movies most don't know the awesome which is the movie Troll - The kid's name in the movie is honestly Harry Potter. (Same actor later went on to play Atreyu in The Never Ending Story)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(film)
    Last edited by Captain N; 2014-10-08 at 06:56 AM.

Deleted
    So bad there actually fun to watch then Probably all of The Asylum movies. Easily the Troma of 2010's
    Favorite of which is Sharktopus!

Retro Cheese is another easy one with Toxic Avenger!

10+ Year Old Account
    You just can't go wrong with Troma Films - They set the scale by which all good-bad movies are judged!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    You just can't go wrong with Troma Films - They set the scale by which all good-bad movies are judged!

Totally agreed there, Troma has brought out some real gems like Cannibal! the Musical.

Personal guilty pleasure would have to be Showgirls. So many boobies, so many evil women. Love it.

Troll was an amazing movie. I wonder if writing the script for it was part of a drinking game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Dynamite, although unsure if its actually bad.
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Roland Emmerich's Godzilla is such a guilty pleasure of mine.
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." ~Kurt Vonnegut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rocky IV... such a product of the 1980s.

Joe Vs The Volcano... I have no reason for loving this movie that I can singularly point to. I just do.

Ghosts of Mars , just love the badness of it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabos View Post
    I don't know if they are considered bad but I love all of Leslie Nielsens movies.

Can't go wrong with some Airplane! and the Naked Gun movies
    BAD?! Those are comedy gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Troll was an amazing movie. I wonder if writing the script for it was part of a drinking game.
    Troll 2 is the pinnacle of horrible (in a fun way).

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post

This should have been released by Troma, it is totally in keeping with some of their early movies.