Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    What are you people talking about "making a living" playing HotS?

I'm no MOBA player but surely you can't sell things for IRL money, that seems against the ToS
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post

I'm no MOBA player but surely you can't sell things for IRL money, that seems against the ToS
    They're talking about doing tournament circuits in pro gaming, assuming HotS catches on in that respect.

Streams and tournaments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Streams and tournaments.
    Never really understood how it's possible to make a living off of streaming.

What pays you? Advertisements? I understand how people like Pewdiepie generate revenue, but streaming seems....I don't know...like it wouldn't pay very much. At least compared to a regular job.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Deleted

What pays you? Advertisements? I understand how people like Pewdiepie generate revenue, but streaming seems....I don't know...like it wouldn't pay very much. At least compared to a regular job.
    I'm trying to figure under what rock you've been living because people have been streaming and making a living out of it for a long time. Same as youtubers, except much of the gaming content on youtube is actually recorded on live streams, and only later uploaded to the site. Many do both; stream and youtube.

It probably depends on a job and the country the streamer is from. Relatively successful streamers (by which I mean ~5k average viewers) from less wealthy countries can easily earn more than average salaries from streaming. I think Ocelote from LoL has been earning like 5k+ euros a month from streaming alone about 2 years ago. And as far as LoL or SC2 go, most of these streamers are also participating in tournaments, which yield them a lot more money than streaming. And then they are also sponsored by gaming companies. So yeah, this is by all means profittable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Here are my first impressions on Heroes of the Storm.

That said, I think the most problematic issue of HotS currently is the ambivalnce between hardcore and casual approach. As much as the game tries to act as if it is for casuals, because of the flow of the game it ends up being for the veterans of the genre, or hardcore crowd. Since the effect of snowballing is common in every game, one teamfight can decide the game, rarely there are comebacks, and in most scenarios, you know who will win from first couple of minutes onward. In this falls locking of the talents and the abilities until you level up a hero to a certain level. This is not casual-friendly, as it only incentivises the players to stick with the heroes they already leveled up.
    Another thing are the prices of heroes in real money. I don't care so much for skins and mounts since this is free-to-play and thus they can charge whatever they want. But the prices of heroes seem too steep in my honest opinion.

Deleted
    My guess is that it'll succeed on the Blizzard tag alone. I don't see why LoL or Dota 2 players would jump to this moba.

"Do what you love and you never work a day in your life"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razhork View Post
    My guess is that it'll succeed on the Blizzard tag alone. I don't see why LoL or Dota 2 players would jump to this moba.
    Some already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love HotS and I can definitely see it taking off. Same sort of accessibility as LoL, but vastly different in how they play. I play both, using LoL for when I want to play in super serious mode and HotS for when I just want to relax and have a fun time. I've played more HotS recently as I hit the end of season burnout in LoL just because of how amazingly fun it is. Plus game times are usually shorter than a your average LoL game, so you can fit more in one play session.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    I'm trying to figure under what rock you've been living because people have been streaming and making a living out of it for a long time. Same as youtubers, except much of the gaming content on youtube is actually recorded on live streams, and only later uploaded to the site. Many do both; stream and youtube.
    I remember one guy i used to play with in HL2DM/CTF in local network who made really nice edited frag movies and used to share them via p2p net. Almost 5 years ago i noticed his skype motd "I COULD MAKE A LIVING OF IT?!" and i instantly got what he meant, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diamond LoL player here, after playing HotS I can't seem to figure out why anyone says it's casual. It is far from that, it's intense objective play and I'll be honest, I'm going to play this 6 hours a day to try and reach the top though I know ranked isn't out yet.
    Hey everyone