Page 1 of 229
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[GUIDE] Fury of Fistfire: Windwalking in [6.2]

Fury of Fistfire: Get Started in Windwalker PvE

1. Introduction

Greetings, and welcome to your 6.2 guide. My name is Caligraphy, and I am a Windwalker on Windrunner. Basically, I've been playing WoW since Vanilla, raiding from TBC until Dragon Soul as a Resto Shaman (though, I always tanked on the side). In Dragon Soul, I finally embraced my love for tanking, and went Bear Druid. Well, needless to say, I feel in love with Monks right in Mists of Pandaland Beta, and have been a Monk ever since.

While I only dabble in Brewmaster now, I'm quite proud to be the resident Windwalker for Temerity (US#49) on Windrunner. You can reach me on Twitter with @CalliMonk. Without further ado, let's get started!

About This Guide
    So, first thing's first. This guide isn't meant as "how to theorycraft for Windwalker." If you want to get into theorycrafting, I recommend that you read the associated thread(s), and also join us in IRC. We have plenty of wonderful resources, fansites, etc.

About The Class
    As a class, Windwalkers specialize in 2-3 target fights, though admittedly right now there are a lot of classes that can beat us at that.

Out-Of-Game-Resources
    Basically, there are tons of resources out there to become a better Windwalker, and you're looking right at one!
    • Simulation Craft - SimC is probably the MAIN go-to as far as work toward bettering the spec.
    • Elitist Jerks Windwalker Thread - EJ is where theorycrafting got its stronghold on the community. Windwalker is one of the few specs with a consistently updated guide.
    • MMO-Champion Monk Forums - Love it or hate it, but MMO-C is one of the largest readerships as far as Monks go. The stickies here have some wonderful material in them.
    • Chi Burst - The length of SoO has made Chi Burst seem like it's dead, but it is an honest-to-heaven, monk-centric forum for your posting pleasure.
    • #PeakOfSerenity - IRC is a wonderful way to communicate, share information, and get meaningful things done. The link will take you to the information to connect to #PeakOfSerenity on IRC - great if you want to listen in on much of the theorycrafting for Monks (all specs!) or if you just want to get to know some other people who play Monk.
    • Sentry Totem - SentryTotem brings together some of WoW's experts into writing articles aimed at actual gameplay. Windcraft Wednesday in particular is a semi-weekly column aimed at Windwalkers ranging from raid tips, gearing suggestions, general theorycrafting, and more. Plus, the ticket system is wonderful to have someone evaluate your armory and logs!

Energy and Chi
    A windwalker's main resources are Energy (e) which is then converted into chi. At level 90, Windwalkers can have up to 4 chi (5 with Ascension). Most damage comes from not just the proper utilization of chi, but also of energy. With a leveling perk from between 90 and 100, Windwalkers will have a baseline of 5 chi (6 with Ascension).

Spells
    Multi-Target
    Rushing Jade Wind (RJW) - We rarely use this spell anymore, but it historically has been used on fights with 3+ enemies. It may prove more useful in the future, but in 6.0 and 6.1, was rarely used due to energy being a concern and that it did not work well with Chi Explosion (due to only rewarding 1 Chi for nearly the same cost as Jab)

Spinning Crane Kick (SCK) - This is best used on fights with 3 or more targets that need to be quickly AE'd down. It returns 1 chi. RJW replaces it if you select that level 90 talent.

Storm, Earth and Fire (SEF) - This is, more or less, the windwalker's cleave or multi-dot. With a 40-yard range, you can easily cast this on targets that other melee may have issues hitting (NEVER put it on your current target!) A single clone will reduce your damage to 70% (total of 140% damage), and a second clone will cause you and all of your clones to do 55% damage (for a total of 165% damage). You can have up to two clones out at a time on different targets.

Chi Burst - This'll be another talent you'll be choosing for multi-target. This shoots a giant ball of Chi in front of (or behind you, if you're unlucky) that'll smack your enemies in the face while healing your allies.

Single-Target
    Jab - Your basic filler, this grants you 2 chi. It doesn't do very much damage, but it does enable you to hit things.

Blackout Kick(BoK) - You'll be spending lots of Chi on this. Hit this button when you don't have anything better to do, or if it's been procced from Combo Breaker.

Fists of Fury (FoF) - Perhaps the most overdramatic of our spells, this key spell will make you rapidly punch your target for lots of damage. Its base channel is 4 seconds, but that's brought down by haste.

Rising Sun Kick (RSK) - While the damage on this is toned down a tad in 6.0, prior to 100 it is still worth using this on cooldown. Now, it is worth using on cooldown when NOT using the Chi Explosion level 100 talent.

Tiger Palm (TP) - You'll be hitting this almost every 20 seconds, or if you have a Combo Breaker proc (more on that later). This grants a buff that you need to keep up called Tiger Power.

Touch of Death (ToD) - This is your finisher and a pretend execute. You can either use it on mobs that have your health or lower, or are under 10% health. It will do the same amount of damage as your health.

Chi Wave (CW) - This is from one of your talents. You'll basically want to use this on Cooldown - because it's just that nasty of a spell. It'll bounce to hurt your enemies, bounce to heal you, and so on - up to 7 or so times.

Cooldowns
    Tigereye Brew (TeB) - this is that stacking buff you get when you hit things. You'll want to use this at either 16+ stacks, or if you get a trinket proc up (or really, ANYTHING that increases your damage). You get 6% more damage for each stack that you use up.

Energizing Brew (EB) - This increases how much energy you get for every second that passes. You should use this any time you can't hit anything (as long as you aren't in the middle of FoF!)

Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger (Xuen)- Otherwise known as Kenny, this summons a white tiger effigy/guardian that will fight with you.

Chi Brew - this is from talents again. I highly recommend this at higher gear levels, because you can use it toget not only enough Chi for at least 1 Blackout Kick or RSK, but also because it grants at least 2 stacks of TeB - increased by mastery.

Getting Around
    I figured I'd make a special section for this just because it's what monks are known for.

Roll - Tuck and roll! Has 2 charges, and somewhat of a "signature" spell. It follows many of the same mechanics as a Mage's Blink, except that you can go any direction with it, without glyphing it.

Transcendence - Basically lets you leave a copy of yourself. You use its secondary spell (Transcendence: Transfer) to transfer back to where you were. You can go back and forth between both spots!

Flying Serpent Kick (FSK) - The monk charges forward at 280% speed (you know, approximately the same speed as an epic mount). Hitting the spell again will cause you to land, dealing a small amount of damage and also slowing enemies (or you just land after a time, and don't do anything). This stacks with other movement speed buffs.

Level 15 Talents - I figured I'd throw something in here. Level 15 is much of your movement flavor. I strongly recommend grabbing Tiger's Lust - TONS of people b...complain about "having another button", but the honest truth is that this a highly underrated spell. Not only can you cast it on yourself for a sprint, but you can cast it on other people. That's pretty legit!

The Endgame Game
    This section covers what you need to do to prep for endgame. While I can't really discuss PvP (no time for it!), I can certainly give you a few tips for raids.

Weapon Choices
    1.1.1 Which to Choose?

Go with the highest item level. They're basically even. Two-handers are slightly ahead, but nothing that a skilled monk can't make up for with duel wield if the 1Hs are higher item level. For an idea of just how important weapon DPS is - it is not unheard of for a monk to take a strength 1-hander if it were an item level increase, if only for the increase in weapon damage.

100 Talents Affect Everything
    I'm throwing this section in ahead of the main talents section. Basically, I can't discuss Windwalker stats or rotation without first discussing level 100 talents.

While there are three talents on the tier, you actually really just have the choice between two talents: Serenity and Chi Explosion. Both are very powerful on their own, and fantastic in different situations, but cause the class to basically play differently.

Chi Explosion
    Chi Explosion is a finisher which replaces your Blackout Kick.
    • If you use it with 1 Chi, it does some damage.
    • 2 Chi does additional damage from 1 Chi, and also causes a DoT similar to what Blackout Kick did.
    • 3 Chi does additional damage from 2 Chi plus everything from previous points, and also gives you a stack of Tigereye Brew (or more, if your Mastery procs).
    • 4 Chi does additional damage from 3 Chi plus everything from previous points, and also meteors - meaning, it does 100% damage to your initial target, and then splits the rest of its damage on other targets.

I recommend using this talent when you are in a situation that has multiple targets.

Other Talents
    I don't recommend using Chi Explosion with Chi Brew. I can see that being useful in most burst situations, but - generally speaking - you want to use Ascension because you want as much energy regeneration in order to get more Explosions off. As such, I write the perspective of this talent on using Ascension.

Chi Explosion Rotation
    1. Enter the fight with at least 4 Chi (preferably with all 5 [6 if specced into Ascension]). This is two Expel Harms, and literally takes thirty seconds.
    2. Use Xuen if you are specced into him.
    3. Dump your initial Chi on your first Rising Sun Kick.
    4. Chi Explosion the rest, pop Tigereye Brew.

---After your Opener---
    5. At this point, Fists of Fury on Cooldown.
    6. Maintain Rising Sun Kick's debuff - don't worry about its cooldown. The cooldown is MUCH shorter than its debuff.
    7. Use your level 30 talent as much on cooldown as you can, and if it is Chi Burst, ensure it is hitting multiple targets
    8. Use Chi Explosion at 4 Chi as much as you can, provided there are multiple mobs. I even go so far as to bank Chi if I know that there will be a cleave situation incoming.
    9. Use any and all Combo Breakers as they become available.

Multi-Target
    1. Keep RJW up if it's 3+ targets.
    2. Use SEF on as many targets as you can, without using it on your own target.
    3. Follow everything from single-target, with a change:
    4. Use Chi Burst any time you have at least 5+ targets in a clump (enemies, of course).

Chi Explosion and Tiger Power
    Someone probably noticed that Tiger Power/Tiger Palm weren't mentioned anywhere in the rotation. Basically, these only grant a buff that ignores ARMOR. Armor is used in factoring out physical damage... Chi Explosion is Nature Damage. Thus, while I do recommend using Combo Breaker: Tiger Palms as they appear (especially if you don't have anything better to do), you're theoretically shooting yourself in the foot if you are delaying a 4-Chi Chi Explosion just to maintain its buff.

Chi Explosion Stats
    Again, I won't even go into stats with Chi Brew. This is just for using Ascension.

Prior to 6.2, Haste was head and shoulders above other stats. However, now it is only head above other stats.

Code:
    Haste > Multistrike > Vers >= Crit >>>>>>> Mastery

Gems
    As of the changes in Warlords of Draenor, all sockets are prismatic and you can only gem for secondary stats.

For Chi Explosion, you can and likely should still use Multistrike Taladites.

Enchants
    Similar to gems, the amount of enchants are much smaller. However, they are all now placed on jewelry, making it easier than ever to swap between sets.

Neck - Gift of Multistrike
    Rings - Gift of Multistrike
    Back - Gift of Multistrike
    Weapon - View this post. Basically, for single-target, Mark of the Frostwolf is ahead by just a hair, while for multi-target, Mark of the Warsong is ahead by a hair. What does this translate to? If you are using a 2H, feel free to use Frostwolf for ST, and Warsong for AE (they are honestly so close together that I nearly recommend to just pick the prettiest one).

If you are Dual Wield, Frostwolf can go on your mainhand, with Warsong on your offhand (thunderlord enchant is technically better for single-target, but this setup is basically good for either single or multi-target).

Serenity
    Serenity is a 1.5 minute cooldown that causes all of your chi-using abilities to refund that amount of Chi. Keep in mind, you still have to go in with that amount of Chi on you - you can't enter Serenity with 0 Chi, as this talent simply refunds Chi.

Other Talents
    Typically, you would take Serenity with Chi Brew. Now, most spreadsheets and even sims will tell you to take Ascension - and generally, that's perfectly fine. However, at a higher level - that is, once you are comfortable with Windwalker as a whole - it is generally stronger to take Chi Brew. It's very difficult to honestly spreadsheet having Chi Brew's burst at the start of an encounter, or throughout a fight. I generally recommend that people newer to monk take Ascension, as it's a much more difficult talent to actually make mistakes with.

Serenity Rotation
    1. Enter the fight with at least 4 Chi (preferably with all 5 [6 if specced into Ascension]). This is two Expel Harms, and usually does not take very long.
    2. Use Xuen if you are specced into him!
    3. Dump your initial Chi on your first Rising Sun Kick and Tiger Palm.
    4. Use your charges of Chi Brew - you should have 6-10 stacks of Tigereye Brew, depending on luck
    5. Pop your Tigereye Brew
    6. Fists of Fury
    7. Use Serenity and spam the everliving bejaina out of Blackout Kick and Rising Sun Kick

--After your opener--
    8. Keep up your RSK debuff, and keep it on cooldown!
    9. Use Tiger Palm to keep up Tiger Power!
    10. Juggle your two Zen Spheres - I typically place one on myself, and one on a focused' target
      -OR-
    11. Keep Chi Wave on cooldown!
    12. Jab for Chi!
    13. Use Fists of Fury to hit things super hard!
    14. Use Blackout Kick to dump the rest of your Chi!
    15. Keep at least one charge of Chi Brew on Cooldown if you're specced into it! I usually use both at the start of a fight, and then keep one on cooldown, while using the second any time I have a trinket proc.

Multi-Target
    1. Keep RJW up if it's 3+ targets.
    2. Use SEF on as many targets as you can, without using it on your own target.
    3. Follow everything from single-target, with a change:
    4. Use Chi Burst any time you have at least 5+ targets in a clump (enemies, of course).

Serenity Stats
    Your stat weights for Serenity tend to vary a little bit, but are overall the same regardless of whether you are spec'd Ascension or Chi Brew.

Code:
    MS > Vers >= Crit > Haste >>>>>>> Mastery

Gems
    As of the changes in Warlords of Draenor, all sockets are prismatic and you can only gem for secondary stats.

You will be using Multistrike Taladites if you are using Serenity.

Enchants
    Similar to gems, the amount of enchants are much smaller. However, they are all now placed on jewelry, making it easier than ever to swap between sets.

Neck - Gift of Multistrike
    Rings - Gift of Multistrike
    Back - Gift of Multistrike
    Weapon - View this post. Basically, for single-target, Mark of the Frostwolf is ahead by just a hair, while for multi-target, Mark of the Warsong is ahead by a hair. What does this translate to? If you are using a 2H, feel free to use Frostwolf for ST, and Warsong for AE (they are honestly so close together that I nearly recommend to just pick the prettiest one).

If you are Dual Wield, Frostwolf can go on your mainhand, with Warsong on your offhand (thunderlord enchant is technically better for single-target, but this setup is basically good for either single or multi-target).

Glyphs
    Honestly, the old version of this guide had a HUUUUGE table depicting every glyph known to monk-kind. I don't feel that's necessary, because you'll just end up inundated by glyphs that you can easily find in your spellbook. Instead, let's take a look at what's going to be affecting you between now and Warlords:

Glyph of Blackout Kick - THIS IS MANDATORY. This removes the healing component of Blackout Kick so that you no longer have a positional requirement for its DoT.

Glyph of Zen Meditation - Move while also channeling Zen Meditation. This allows you to use it as a more effective survival cooldown.

Glyph of Touch of Karma - Extends the range on your Touch of Karma spell. Very useful, very recommended.

Glyph of Nimble Brew - I usually classify this more as a PvP glyph, but its actually quite useful in PvE in which where you need to move quickly. It heals you for 15% of your health if you clear an effect.

Glyph of the Floating Butterfly - W E W O N B O Y S. In other words, the glyph we've all been waiting for! This removes the stun from Fists of Fury... while allowing you to continue channeling it while running. Keep in mind, however, that knockbacks will still interrupt the channel. I also recommend NOT using this glyph in challenge modes, as it's very good/strong to have the 25second stun in the first place.

Talents

Again, you can read the tooltips of your own Monk if you need to, so there's no reason to go painfull in-detail about them. Here's the general gist:

• Level 15: While this is more of a choice, I strongly recommend Tiger's Lust. Celerity is a good pickup if you intend to use Chi Torpedo
    • Level 30: These are your flavored damage-healers. Use Zen Sphere for single target, and Chi Burst for anything that even remotely has two targets. Chi Wave only does slightly less single-target damage than Zen Sphere, so if you are lazy and don't care about Big D DPS, you can use that.
    • Level 45: These are Chi-Energy Management. Ascension is used when using Chi Explosion for longer sustained damage. Chi Brew is useful for controlled burst damage and Serenity. Power Strikes is rarely if ever useful.
    • Level 60: Crowd Control talents. Ring of Peace (RoP) is useful for PvP to do an AE disorient. Charging Ox Wave and Leg Sweep are both stuns. Leg Sweep is often preferred due to its range, but Charging Ox Wave can be very useful when done properly.
    • Level 75: These are survivability. Use Diffuse Magic for heavy magic-damage encounters. Use Dampen Harm if you need to mitigate physical damage.
    • Level 90: Chi Torpedo is good for padding in conjunction with Level 15 talent, Celerity - just be aware that it changes part of our toolkit from being mobile, to burst AE (which frankly, other classes do better, anyway). Xuen is useful on single-target. Rushing Jade Wind (RJW) is useful for 3+ target fights.
    • Level 100: Check out the Serenity and Chi Explosion sections for which to choose here. You can ignore Hurricane Strike until it's fixed.

Changelog
    • LVL 30 update + stats update
    • Because weapons srsly matter guys.
    • Happy Turkey Day, pre-raid update.
    • I personally welcome our new thread overlords.
    Last edited by Babylonius; 2015-12-21 at 09:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Glyph of Spinning Crane Kick is gone. The glyph was merged into Spinning Crane Kick baseline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Glyph of Spinning Crane Kick is gone. The glyph was merged into Spinning Crane Kick baseline.
    Derpaderp. Fixed.

What about Glyph of Floating Butterfly?
    "Fists of Fury can be channeled while moving but no longer stuns its target."

ach, nvm it comes from Draenor research...
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

So since single target favors Multistrike and multi target favors Haste, and since MOST of the bosses will be multi-target and favoring ChEx, will the best multi-target weapon in Highmaul be the Earthwarped Bladestaff and the best single target be Dual Phemos' Double Slashers? (run-on sentence) Especiall with the nerf/buff to using a two hander vs dw?
    Last edited by irysheman; 2014-10-14 at 08:55 AM.

Deleted
    AWESOME Cali! Thx!
    Last edited by mmoc5ade01f664; 2014-10-14 at 10:09 AM.

Couple things:
    Under talents section - RoP is no longer an AE silence/disarm but functions as a disorientate I believe.
    I recall TT or someone else in the beta WW thread (or maybe it was BrM) state that ascension is the worst of the 3 unless you're able to reach absurd haste amounts.

Now whilst level 90 and AoC being a good trinket for WW now; has that adjusted mastery's strength since it would be difficult to say the least to have 10 stacks of TEB every 16-18s FoF interval. With current trinkets is it still better to save TEB for the trinket proc or spending the TEB with FoF on CD the better choice now?

Deleted
    So any definite answer on Mongoose vs Dancing Steel?

Dancing steel - the up-time is its winning grace. Kind of curious how elemental weapon stacks up though ahha.

Quote Originally Posted by umppa View Post
    So any definite answer on Mongoose vs Dancing Steel?
    Dancing Steel beats Mongoose by ~200 DPS(~1.5-2% total DPS) and Windsong beats Executioner by ~100 DPS. I posted the sim results as one of the last posts before the lock in the... 5.4 guide, I believe(either there or the 6.0 thread).
    And as mentioned above, the reason DS beats Mongoose is just because of uptime(46% vs 20%)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Cheers, guess I am all set up then for tomorrow.

Under "Weapon Choices" Wasn't there a change to bring 2H closer to DW 1H, making this info outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioga View Post
    Under "Weapon Choices" Wasn't there a change to bring 2H closer to DW 1H, making this info outdated?
    There was a change, it wasn't as successful as they though it would be. There's still a discrepancy where the guidelines posted are still sound.

4pc better than MWF counterparts or stick with 2pc? 4pc should be stronger now yea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenlogic View Post
    4pc better than MWF counterparts or stick with 2pc? 4pc should be stronger now yea?
    HWF4pc will still be strong. I think you're probably thinking of next tier's 4pc that would make something like that incredibly strong. Plus, most of the off-pieces we're using (such as gloves of the golden protector) are now haste-crit, which is QUITE tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliansfist View Post
    Couple things:
    Under talents section - RoP is no longer an AE silence/disarm but functions as a disorientate I believe.
    I recall TT or someone else in the beta WW thread (or maybe it was BrM) state that ascension is the worst of the 3 unless you're able to reach absurd haste amounts.

Now whilst level 90 and AoC being a good trinket for WW now; has that adjusted mastery's strength since it would be difficult to say the least to have 10 stacks of TEB every 16-18s FoF interval. With current trinkets is it still better to save TEB for the trinket proc or spending the TEB with FoF on CD the better choice now?
    Ah, thanks. I'll correct that.

Ascension should still be quite strong with Chi Explosion - you honestly want as much energy regen as possible. Please feel free to direct me to the math that shows otherwise - but in practice, it tends to be stronger (at least, in my experience). You are literally overflowing with TeB already using Asc + Chi Explosion + T17 tier bonus.

I can see that making our current 4pc somewhat stronger, but I don't think that much stronger. I think current math still stands as it is - besides, you actually get a TON more haste now from using 4pc HWF than you do with 4set (most of the offpieces are now haste/crit that we were using previously) - I was able to get about 32% haste without having all of them upgraded or gem/enchanted last night while testing things on beta. That'll more than make up for the chi gain from 4pc, while also keeping in mind the other things that scale with haste outside of energy regen.

And, no, that hasn't adjusted mastery's "strength." It still basically sucks for us. You'll want to get other stats ahead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by irysheman View Post
    So since single target favors Multistrike and multi target favors Haste, and since MOST of the bosses will be multi-target and favoring ChEx, will the best multi-target weapon in Highmaul be the Earthwarped Bladestaff and the best single target be Dual Phemos' Double Slashers? (run-on sentence) Especiall with the nerf/buff to using a two hander vs dw?
    DW is still the king in all situations. The blanket nerf we saw on it was because it was making absolutely absurd numbers in comparison to 2H, but it's still about 1% ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    What about Glyph of Floating Butterfly?
    "Fists of Fury can be channeled while moving but no longer stuns its target."

ach, nvm it comes from Draenor research...
    Thus the name of the guide This guide will persist through WoD with some updates when level 100 is available. I just didn't want people to become confused with lvl 90 in 6.0 vs. 100 in 6.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliansfist View Post
    Couple things:
    That's BrM. It's actually okay for WW (the only spec it's even close to viable for).

1 chi is 22.5 energy
    to get 22.5 energy in 15 seconds (matching Power Strikes) you'd need Ascension to generate an additional 1.5 energy/second.. oh wait it does that baseline. So it's already better than Power Strikes.

The way the sims have been working out Ascension is actually the best for CE (because more CEs means more TEB than normal, which is the only thing that makes Chi Brew baseline better) but Chi Brew is generally better with Serenity (and Hurricane Strikes) or just not having a level 100 talent. Ascension is incredibly close now though, the gap isn't nearly as big as it was before.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Alysmera View Post
    DW is still the king in all situations. The blanket nerf we saw on it was because it was making absolutely absurd numbers in comparison to 2H, but it's still about 1% ahead.
    Awe, I hope they make it very very close before WoD.

Deleted
    Coming in 6.0 how are our SoO trinkets going to be looking? With the changes to FoF I take it Assurance is going to be a bit more up there no?

Quote Originally Posted by Zalon View Post
    Coming in 6.0 how are our SoO trinkets going to be looking? With the changes to FoF I take it Assurance is going to be a bit more up there no?
    Hinalover stated that AoC + Haromms would be BiS now