Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    This is provably wrong, because if some mainstream music wasn't good it wouldn't be mainstream. Nobody would ever listen to it, it would make no money, and therefore not exist. But it does, and it's popular, because it's good. Pretty idiotic to say otherwise.

OT:

Not sure what the big breakthrough is. People have been singing other people's songs/verses/hooks/choruses for years, happens mostly when there's a live performance and someone that's normally on the song can't make it. For example if someone did a song with Drake, and then went on tour, they might rap Drake's part because he probably wouldn't be at the tour dates. Nothing really new or interesting.
    "Good" and "Bad" is subjective really. Just because something is mainstream, does certainly not mean that it is even remotely good. Plenty of bands and musicians are around who hardly makes any money, and doesn't give a rats ass, it's not about the money,- if you let it BE about the money, then you've lost honestly.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    So, I read this thread in the morning but it seemed there was nothing in it. Now that it's still here, could someone explain to me how exactly is a singer singing both parts of a duet somehow a major breakthrough? It's been done for as long as there's been live performances.

What am I missing here?

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW.......... Here I come into the thread... - and I am not kidding now at all - thinking that there is some new equipment, some new instrumental breakthrough that could change an entire field...
    Instead it's this?
    A shitty mainstream mass product is just that.... a shitty mass product.
    There is absolutely zero musical craftsmanship involved with this kind of music. It requires basically no skill whatsoever.
    At the very best one can give credit to the lyrics writer. At the very best.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    How do you think this will affect the modern music industry? How do you personally feel about this shift in the industry and what it bodes for the future?
    Saw rap and thought to myself not a breakthrough don't care

What exactly is this thread about?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some chick "sang" the part that a Rent-a-Rapper would normally have "sung?" Don't get me wrong, i'm all for anything that puts rappers out of business, but i do not see why this vocalist doing her job is somehow a big deal for the industry.

This is provably wrong, because if some mainstream music wasn't good it wouldn't be mainstream. Nobody would ever listen to it, it would make no money, and therefore not exist. But it does, and it's popular, because it's good. Pretty idiotic to say otherwise.
    This isn't true. The mainstream pop music process is specifically designed to appeal to broad tastes but also to introduce musical acts to audiences as a matter of both taste and marketing.

The entire "music industry" concerned with popular music is expressly interested in the goal of selling musical acts regardless of audience discovery or taste. They make the popular tastes, in other words.

However, that does not mean pop music is bad or objectively poor music- which is absurd, and factually wrong from a musicality standpoint. But the assumption that popular media is decided or made popular by audiences alone has not been true since the 1970s.

You can research how radio stations work and market as well as cross promotion branding of music if you wish.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I googled the original song linked in the OP. It was intellectually and culturally offensive. Misappropriation of late 20th century African American musical styling of the most shameful kind- black face in pop music form.

Disgusting.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-10-15 at 04:33 PM.

I'm not a fan of Iggy, but dat booty doe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Do you really think this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    What the hell is this kind of garbage (sorry but i can't call this music) and why did the OP post "music breakthrough" along with this?
    I can appreciate some of the modern mainstream music, but the shit you linked here is just so bad that just playing it is insulting to my Grado headphones....

Deleted
    i've been playing drums, guitars, pianos, trumpets and bass now for about 9 + years (depends on the instrument, guitar is main instrument)
    and i can tell you, the music industry is utterly shit today..

some bar owners want us to play for free in their bars so they can get more customers, so they can earn more, while we that is getting them customers? gets nothing..

stuff like that is very common sadly..

i play for fun, im not in for the money, but getting there, buying new strings/skin/whatever that is needed, we kinda want some..

Sometimes i play over 40 hours a week, just on my guitar alone, and that's aint easy to keep up with.. but then again, i play to have fun and "meditate" on my own music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    i've been playing drums, guitars, pianos, trumpets and bass now for about 9 + years (depends on the instrument, guitar is main instrument)
    and i can tell you, the music industry is utterly shit today..
    amen to this.

The rest I've not quoted, I heard from a friend.
    Are you in the US? And it appears to be like that here.
    I know in Germany there's a very lucrative bar/dance hall scene where cover bands make a very good extra income from playing Fri - Sun. That's mainly in the country side the case. The
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I don't know any of these people, so I don't care. I sincerely doubt that it's a "major breakthrough in the music industry," but I guess anything's possible.

So, "singing" lyrics is supposedly a music industry breakthrough? I could have sworn I've seen this before...from like, every single musical performer in the history of everything.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Singing a song is not a breakthrough...

10+ Year Old Account
    Whew, the "when I was younger, music was much better!" in this thread is great.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    What exactly is this thread about?
    Don't know, but after re-reading the OP, I think we all got trolled big time.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    amen to this.

The rest I've not quoted, I heard from a friend.
    Are you in the US? And it appears to be like that here.
    I know in Germany there's a very lucrative bar/dance hall scene where cover bands make a very good extra income from playing Fri - Sun. That's mainly in the country side the case. The
    im in Sweden If it was like that here, i would gladly play live (if i could find a band jadajada)

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I'm sorry if there was already a thread made about this but on 10/8/14, Charli XCX did the entirety of Fancy without Iggy Azalea and it was amazing. Much praise has been given to how well she delivered the Australian rapper's lines in a song she was only featured in as a hook.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ster-hall-2014

How do you think this will affect the modern music industry? How do you personally feel about this shift in the industry and what it bodes for the future?
    How is this a "major breakthrough" I'm failing to see any.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It still doesn't make the song less shit though.
    Quoted for truth.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog