Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any good City builder games?

I'm looking for a sandboxish city builder game where you watch guys just go around mind their own business, chop down trees and build my own little empire.

So, No tropico. No sim city, and no settlers. Medieval city builder is preffered. Also, the game needs to be a bit new, no 1990-2000 games please. 3D is preffered aswell. Also, now browser games.

I haven't tried it yet but I've been meaning to pick up Banished for a while now. Sounds like it fits your criteria.

15+ Year Old Account
    Try Banished, it's leaning more towards The Settlers than SimCity, and has a sort of Medival/Colonial vibe.
    Also nice: it's not a monster sized game, I installed it on my Windows tablet and it takes up about 250Mb disk space
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Oratory View Post
    I haven't tried it yet but I've been meaning to pick up Banished for a while now. Sounds like it fits your criteria.
    Already tried and my people keep dynig of starvation, bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll64 View Post
    I'm looking for a sandboxish city builder game where you watch guys just go around mind their own business, chop down trees and build my own little empire.

So, No tropico. No sim city, and no settlers. Medieval city builder is preffered. Also, the game needs to be a bit new, no 1990-2000 games please. 3D is preffered aswell.
    Game called "Master of olympus - Zeus" is a very fun game imo, but it's VERY old and locked in 1080x720 resolution so it might fk up your screen if you got huge screen xD It fked me up alittle, everytime i closed it my Icons on the desktop would randomize location.. also some windows features think my 2560x1440 is 1080x720
    So if i open a word document for example, it shows 2 pages besides each other not just 1 big page
    But it's a very fun game

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not a bad game, it's just not an easy game. In fact it's brutally difficult. One false move can wipe your city out in under a year.
    It's designed to simulate the brutality of starting a settlement with practically nothing, and I feel it works very well.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

This is the epitome of current gaming generation to me.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Anno-series.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    It's not a bad game, it's just not an easy game. In fact it's brutally difficult. One false move can wipe your city out in under a year.
    It's designed to simulate the brutality of starting a settlement with practically nothing, and I feel it works very well.

Am I the only one who found it not all that difficult? It was a bit touch and go to start with, figuring out what everything was and did etc, but once you get the hang of it... I mean, an early tornado or something in the wrong place can fuck up your shit, but other than that, once you're established... So long as you keep building houses and farms, before long your population is big enough that nothing can really make a dent in it, no matter how much you balls up or what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Agreed.

I consider Banished to be a very good city builder. It can be challenging if you don't know what you are doing, but once you understand how things operate, it is a very relaxing game.

I'd suggest Towns, but I think that it in limbo, which is sad because it has a lot of potential. RimWorld is still very early in development, but it is sci-fi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Yup, I wanted to suggest quite some games...but then it had to be 3d, not too old etc. Your quote was exactly the first thing that came in to my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Am I the only one who found it not all that difficult? It was a bit touch and go to start with, figuring out what everything was and did etc, but once you get the hang of it... I mean, an early tornado or something in the wrong place can fuck up your shit, but other than that, once you're established... So long as you keep building houses and farms, before long your population is big enough that nothing can really make a dent in it, no matter how much you balls up or what happens.
    yup once you figure out a "magic ratio" you are very much in the groove. Was good for a while but it is a pretty boring game imo. Needs a disaster button like sim city 2000

I also quite enjoyed anno 2070, a bit of a departure from just city building though.

Spent an unhealthy amount of time playing Gnomoria, also kind of hard to call a city builder but sort of a similar idea. You have to control everyone and everything down to the professions though, they are barely autonomous. Leave them be and the will just eat all your food then die heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    yup once you figure out a "magic ratio" you are very much in the groove. Was good for a while but it is a pretty boring game imo. Needs a disaster button like sim city 2000

I also quite enjoyed anno 2070, a bit of a departure from just city building though.

Spent an unhealthy amount of time playing Gnomoria, also kind of hard to call a city builder but sort of a similar idea. You have to control everyone and everything down to the professions though, they are barely autonomous. Leave them be and the will just eat all your food then die heh.
    I don't know about any magic ratio, I just set food and fuel caps very high and watch food closely. If it dips by 10k, but you have 50k in reserve nobody dies but you know to get on that shit. Made it super easy.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

I actually find Gnomoria to be much harder to play than Dwarf Fortress...I think that Isometric view just messes me up when planning what to build where!
    Should give it another shot at some point though!

10+ Year Old Account
    There hasn't been a good city sand box since Caesar IV and Pharaoh - Cleopatra. I miss the hell out of those games.

SimCity 2013 sucked. Anno sucks, less to do with building and more to do with resources. . . . . banished is mediocre. . . . . Children of the Nile sucks. . . .I could keep going. Nothing holds up to Caesar and Pharaoh IMO.

I can vouch for both Gnomoria and Banished eating huge chunks of my time. And SimCity post all the fixes and whatnot (and offline!) isn't that awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I don't know about any magic ratio, I just set food and fuel caps very high and watch food closely. If it dips by 10k, but you have 50k in reserve nobody dies but you know to get on that shit. Made it super easy.
    It is just something I would expect everyone to come across naturally, gotta have this many of x and y or things go pear shaped. Once you get that down like you say it is easy and basically you have beaten the game, it has no depth. It is however pretty slick though and it was a fun 10 hours or so which is more than I can say for:

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    I actually find Gnomoria to be much harder to play than Dwarf Fortress...I think that Isometric view just messes me up when planning what to build where!
    Should give it another shot at some point though!
    Yeah actually in retrospect I remember battling with all sorts of navigation on the terrain. You have the floors and the blocks which make everything just a little bit more complex. Then there is the squad system and such, and it really sucks if your "tank" is taking an nap while the rest of his squad face tank a 2 headed ogre to their detriment. If there is a skill ceiling I am yet to find it after 108 hours so it still feels like I am progressing. It has exactly what banished lacks imo and once you can tackle the UI it should be all good.

May seem strange to compare the two but I had the same itch as the OP and these two are what I came up with heh.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    simcity 2000. one of my all time favorites.

too bad.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I suck, therefore game sucks" oh lawdy