Brewmaster Rerolling Healer...Guidance needed!

Hi guys,

In June I formed my own guild and played as a tank whilst we progressed 14/14 HC as a fresh set of players - for Mythic however we've recruited a bunch of awesome new tanks and I've decided to reroll - i've briefly read over a few guides here and there but don't have a great background knowledge of priests and can't see any "6.0 Holy/Disc Guides" up and running yet to get me up to speed.

What I would really like to know is the benefits of each current spec, I've only tried as holy so far and it sort of feels like all I'm doing is spamming Binding Heal, Circle Of Healing and PoH, renew doesn't seem worth the GCD at this point... (pulling around 13k HPS at 565 item level on Garrosh)

I do however enjoy playing holy, but do not want to rule out Disc if it's going to better in tight DPS enrage encounters.

Basically if anyone has a guide on playstyles for each specs or knows any streamers please let me know! I knew monks like the back of my hand but I literally have no idea where to start with priests, I've read up on old guides as much as poss but very little seems to stick in patch 6.0

Any help appreciated!

Edit: Any addons you also find useful would be wonderful too! Raid frames etc..

I'm in the same boat as you. Brewmaster and possibly rerolling into a priest. I'm not gonna give disc the chance. I find it extremely boring and when they're just spamming their level 100 talent and that's it (as of now). That's pretty boring play to me.

Holy has a great toolkit to deal with many situations. Icy-Veins has a lot of class guides, if not all updated. Granted, take them with a grain of salt and just as a starting point. I'd also suggest checking out howtopriest and ask some questions there. Also are you tossing out your PoM's?

As far as addons I just use ElvUI. Wonderful looking raid frames in my opinion (might switch up frames to grid2 just for a change).

Deleted
    Holy Priest stuff for level 100.

General Discipline Priest discussion.

At the moment in 6.0 things are still up in the air and very imbalanced. The advantage to Discipline isn't the additional DPS which will be inconsequential in WoD content but rather that it brings absorbs. As Holy, you are bringing something that three other healers provide.

Just toss PoMs out on the tank, to be honest there is fuck all damage to heal on live so its hard to learn anything. I've literally just been spamming binding heals and CoH/PoH when raid wide damage is inc... going to try disc later just because the other 3 healers are rshaman/rdruid/mistweaver and absorbs would work better with them in Mythic progression i feel.

Deleted
    Yeah, you would probably compliment your other healers better as Discipline. I hate to be a negative Nancy / Nathan (gender equity, yo) but Discipline at the moment is incredibly simple, very brain dead and pretty overtuned when taken against nerfed SoO and MoP damage patterns. I'm not sure you'll be able to get much of a feel for how the spec will be in WoD and I hope you aren't put off the spec by how simplistic it is at the moment.

You might read comments that Discipline was a spec played by people with whatever offensive mental condition someone decides to try and be derogatory with but the spec did used to have some subtlety and depth to it. That might come back in WoD but it isn't there at the moment.

At the moment, and I'm not being facetious with this, you just push Holy Nova or Power Word Shield unless an encounter has an obvious section where Spirit Shell will perform well. In that case, you add Spirit Shell. During downtime, build Evangelism (with Penance and Solace) and store it for AA as needed (effectively on CD) and then return to pumping out shields with PW:S if spread or Nova if even loosely stacked. Use Barrier. I wish I could be giving more advice here but that is it for healing style.
    Last edited by mmocbb91367365; 2014-10-17 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numlocked View Post
    I'm not gonna give disc the chance. I find it extremely boring and when they're just spamming their level 100 talent and that's it (as of now). That's pretty boring play to me.
    It's best not to speak badly of a spec you know nothing about.

Disc does not just "spam level 100 talent". In 5mans when you're the only healer, yes, CoW is pretty much mandatory. But in raids? Completely different situation.

To those trying to reroll Priest, the current healing at 90 on Live is absolutely nothing like level 100 healing on the beta. Keep that in mind.

Hehe just spent tonight healing Garrosh HCs as Disc - certainly out performs holy + any other healers atm! :P Only other healer that came close was a hpala but I'm not sure what they have.

Guess I'll have to just wait until level 100! Hope there's more than HN spam at 100