Gaming / Creative Deisgn Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Apolyc/saved/2TVfrH

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Main use is Gaming, secondary use is school / creative design work

Deleted
    Budget and country?
    cpu-mobo-ssd-psu need sorting. You don't want an amd to game at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Budget and country?
    cpu-mobo-ssd-psu need sorting. You don't want an amd to game at.
    USA, not really worried about budget, but around $1200

what do you mean by the second comment?

Deleted
    Try this build, which is slightly over after rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Deepcool LUCIFER 81.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1244.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 06:59 EDT-0400

You can drop the CPU down to a 4690k and be under budget.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    what do you mean by the second comment?
    That you will better served by an intel cpu for gaming and not an amd. When you say creative design work, what is that exactly? Does it mean you could use 16gb of ram or an i7? Need to be more specific as to what software you are/will be using.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    That you will better served by an intel cpu for gaming and not an amd. When you say creative design work, what is that exactly? Does it mean you could use 16gb of ram or an i7? Need to be more specific as to what software you are/will be using.
    In school now for game design, haven't gotten to the more specific classes yet which will likely use other software, but as of right now photoshop / illustrator

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with 16GB if you're using photoshop and such tools. It loves RAM... almost to a fault.
    i7 depends, sorta. If you're using a lot of batch filters or what not, it could help but usually for more basic photoshop uses it's not necessary.

So this is a build I made recently, I feel for the most part it is a good build but I want to slime the price tag down by 200-300 dollars. Yes I want a full tower, also I am not sure if my hard drive has enough memory so any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. If you are looking for the use it is gaming (mostly WoW on highest possible settings) and creative design work (such as Photoshop / Illustrator). Thank you in advance. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Apolyc/saved/cpRnTW

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A) Drop down only 16GB of RAM. 32GB is USELESS. You'll never use it all.

B) I do recommend a GTX 970 over the 290. Better all around performance and it's only $40 more before the rebates. Doing so you can drop down to a 500-550W PSU as well and save some money there.

Any reason you feel the need for a full tower case? My original case was full tower because I expected it would come in handy....ended up just giving me empty space to look at. You've got a single card, 1 DVD drive, an SSD (you might have a spare HDD as well), and no water cooling set up. What possibly could you use the extra space for? Spare bed? Even for a full tower case, that one wouldn't even support the longer modern cards like the Gigabyte GTX 970.

Can't speak for the cooler, but I'm sure there are better options that look a little nicer. 212 Evo for cheap, Dark Rock 3 for silence and looks, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

For your question about storage capacity, If you want extra space tack on a 1TB HDD and use that as a storage device.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-11-05 at 06:19 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    A) Drop down only 16GB of RAM. 32GB is USELESS. You'll never use it all.

Any reason you feel the need for a full tower case? My original case was full tower because I expected it would come in handy....ended up just giving me empty space to look at. You've got a single card, 1 DVD drive, an SSD (you might have a spare HDD as well), and no water cooling set up. What possibly could you use the extra space for? Spare bed? Even for a full tower case, that one wouldn't even support the longer modern cards like the Gigabyte GTX 970.

I want a full tower because I plan on adding parts down the line, including water cooling system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you talking about an AIO or a custom loop? You wouldn't need it for an AIO.

Actually planning on doing custom, but again this is down the line when I can save up some cash