15+ Year Old Account

Spell Shield talent

Does this trigger AFTER the initial ability hit or does it also reduce damage from the ability that activates it?

Eg Nova Q's you from stealth (either pre-16 or if she can't get in for a W if she has Crippling Shot). Do you get chunked hard and THEN Spell Shield activates, or would it reduce the Q by 50%?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I've always assumed it takes the first hit. Though now I'm starting to doubt myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Either way, it's probably a terrific idea to auto-pick it in solo queue vs a Nova if offered. If it doesn't block the first hit that's OK, her first hit will be W anyway which will activate it (and W does shit-all damage). And if she Q's first that's also OK, because they Q as well as the followup auto will be 25% weaker from not being debuffed by W.

I might even take Block AND Spellshield next time as Arthas just for funsies
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)