Thread: Ram

Deleted

Question Ram

So, i have 12GB DDR3 2x4GB 1600mhz and 2x2GB at 1333mhz, would i be better off dumping the 2x 2GB sticks so the 1600 can run flat out or is the 4gb worthwhile for the slight loss in speed?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Likely not a big difference either way, unless your system is sluggish, or you are running out of memory.

At least you have a clear target if you want to upgrade to 16GB total.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you mean putting all 4 in for more memory...I'd highly suggest avoiding it. I would just take the 2x4 GB sticks and leave the 2x2GB sticks for another build or for backup. While difference brands usually offer no issues, issues can come from different size sticks and generally not worth it and not only would you be doing that but your speed would be decreased even if the 4 sticks worked properly together. Unless you're doing heavy workloads with things such as photoshop or video editing, you shouldn't need anymore than 8GB in total.

TLDR: Probably would work. Speed would be decreased. Not recommended due to possible issues.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

15+ Year Old Account
    Like g said, not that much of a difference between 1333 and 1600. Now if you are running a AMD APU chip thats a whole new topic to dig into.

Second thought, you could probably get the 1333 to OC to 1600 depending on your motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyuk View Post
    So, i have 12GB DDR3 2x4GB 1600mhz and 2x2GB at 1333mhz, would i be better off dumping the 2x 2GB sticks so the 1600 can run flat out or is the 4gb worthwhile for the slight loss in speed?
    Oddly enough, I am in the same exact situation you are in. I have 2x4gb sticks, and my sister got a new computer, so I took the two 2gb sticks out of there. Honestly, I don't notice a difference at all.