Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

World of Warcraft if "Wrath of the Lich King Came First"

So, all of the long-term WoW player-base may remember that initially, Blizzard had no true idea of what Expansion order there would be yet at first, they knew there would be Wrath of the Lich King and the Burning Crusade.

Obviously, they decided to go with Burning Crusade and then WotLK, but what if they decided differently?

If WotLK came first, do you think that there would have been a huge difference to how WoW is today? Do you think it would be better, or worse?

I feel as if during the creation of Azeroth and Outlands, Blizzard learnt a lot and got better at all designing aspects, so I feel there would be a pretty big difference.

What about you?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would have been better if neither were the first expansion, but a Deathwing-themed (not Cataclysm), Medivh-themed or Burning Legion on Azeroth expansion. If what they learned from the first expansion remained static, the quality of the BC and WotLK expansions would be epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    I think it would have been better if neither were the first expansion, but a Deathwing-themed (not Cataclysm), Medivh-themed or Burning Legion on Azeroth expansion. If what they learned from the first expansion remained static, the quality of the BC and WotLK expansions would be epic.
    I'd love to see Outlands and Northrend as if they was created with the skill Blizzard has today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgtar View Post
    I'd love to see Outlands and Northrend as if they was created with the skill Blizzard has today.
    WoD is Outlands remade by the skill they have today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Draenor is not Outlands.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then it would be more crap and more casual to bring 5 years old into world of games

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Not even close. Places, people and monsters have same names but the similarities end there.

Deleted
    So, all of the long-term WoW player-base may remember that initially, Blizzard had no true idea of what Expansion order there would be yet at first, they knew there would be Wrath of the Lich King and the Burning Crusade.

Obviously, they decided to go with Burning Crusade and then WotLK, but what if they decided differently?

If WotLK came first, do you think that there would have been a huge difference to how WoW is today? Do you think it would be better, or worse?

I feel as if during the creation of Azeroth and Outlands, Blizzard learnt a lot and got better at all designing aspects, so I feel there would be a pretty big difference.

What about you?
    Northrend would have the design "flaws" Outland has now and Outland would have the design "flaws" Northrend has now
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2014-11-02 at 01:23 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Not even close. Places, people and monsters have same names but the similarities end there.
    Then why even make Draenor?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, it would be a completely different game.

Simply because any change in the past can alter everything we know and how we know it now days. It is all about experience, experience drives us, so if it is a different experience, we will change our path.

Quote Originally Posted by bison91 View Post
    Then it would be more crap and more casual to bring 5 years old into world of games
    I love when people just throw this whine into every possible thread. LFR crusaders claiming the game is too easy.
    Beta Club Brosquad

What about you?
    The whole basis of your question is based on a lie or incorrect information. There was never any questionwhat was going to be the first expansion. TBC was always planned to be first was that was decided prior to WoW going live. How do I know this? At an early Blizzcon, possibly the first one, Blizzard had a pannel discussing how they create and plan stuff. In that pannel, the showed slides where Kara and BT were plNned as level 60 raids and zones.

Blizzard had to cut a lot of what was planned for WoW and add it in TBC, or whatever they were calling it then. Going to northrend was always going to be after TBC but even then we do not know it it was going to be expansion two or later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    The whole basis of your question is based on a lie or incorrect information. There was never any questionwhat was going to be the first expansion. TBC was always planned to be first was that was decided prior to WoW going live. How do I know this? At an early Blizzcon, possibly the first one, Blizzard had a pannel discussing how they create and plan stuff. In that pannel, the showed slides where Kara and BT were plNned as level 60 raids and zones.

Blizzard had to cut a lot of what was planned for WoW and add it in TBC, or whatever they were calling it then. Going to northrend was always going to be after TBC but even then we do not know it it was going to be expansion two or later.
    "According to Pardo, Blizzard's initial expansion list also reflected a different release order than what gamers actually got. "As a matter of fact, when we launched WOW, we initially thought we were going to Lich King first," he said, noting that Outland and Northrend were givens on the expansion list."

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/spo.../1100-6241378/

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    lol slayed!

I imagine the game would be almost night and day difference myself. Would 'badge gear' have ever existed? Would LFR still exist today? Remember Wrath started the putting being 'lets be casual' into over drive, which led to LFD being released, and getting good responses, which then lead to LFR being released in Cata.

Also, how big of a spot light would Illidan have gotten if TBC released as the 2nd expansion??? Surely more than he got currently lol
    You're making fallacious assumptions, though. I think Wrath would have been done in TBC style, because.. well, yeah. It would have been the same design team doing TBC... and vice versa. You're making a strange assumption that because of its content, they made these design decisions.. there is 0 correlation between the two things.

Deleted
    Well im guessing that the Wotlk story would of been done horribly, and the TBC one....somewhat better?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avell View Post
    Draenor is not Outlands.
    Outland is not Outlands

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    How can one make fallacious assumptions about a dreamt up fake timeline???

So you are saying that no matter what, the expansions (even if released diff order) in this alternate timeline we've just now invented would look identical to our current expansions, just different bosses and has zero chance of EVER being different? If I had to take a guess, I would think you're the one making the huge fallacious assumptions.
    You're missing his point. His point is that the same teams would be working on the "post-classic expansion" and if they had chosen "Lich King and Northrend" as the theme, then it would have had mechanics and gameplay very similar to how we have TBC today.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Northrend would be Outland, Outland would be Northrend.

Picture Arthas being Kael'thas, while Illidan was Arthas.

Picture Northrend looking like a giant Winterspring with no phasing or siege engines.

Picture Outland in better textures, with phasing, and actual storytelling.

Picture Northrend with bunch of random raids all out at launch.

Picture Outland with 4 defined tiers.

And most importantly, picture Outland adding a Hero Class and Northrend adding 2 races.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I love when people just throw this whine into every possible thread. LFR crusaders claiming the game is too easy.
    well...and whats the problem with that? its true.