Getting more ram but not sure if I should go for 8GB or go up to 12GB

Pretty much what the title says. Lately I've been noticing that I'm getting too close to use all of my 4GB of ram and have to close some stuff in order to lower ram usage a little. Other than that games are starting to ask for more than 4GB so I guess that while I can upgrade the rest at least upgrade the ram and use it when I change the other parts. The question is how good idea is to have something like 12GB of ram? I usually hear that people go on increments of 4, 8, 16, 32 (always doubling the previous amount). Also if I have 2 bars of 2GB each, is a good idea to use one with 8GB or better stick to another 2 of 2GB and get 8GB in total?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would just buy 2 sticks of 8GB DDR3 RAM of at least 1600Mhz and pref CAS 9 latency. Replace the ones you have. You also have the option of adding 2x2GB sticks to the ones you have to have 8 (might be cheaper), but depending on the speeds and timings of your current RAM the new RAM could be clocked down to match.

You should NOT buy a single 8GB stick though, you always want pairs of 2 for dual channel, I also don't recommend mixing up sizes of sticks.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Seeing how cheap RAM has become, I'd just get 16 and be done with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    Cheap?? When I bought my 8GB 2-3 years ago it was about 30 euro cheaper than it is now. (something with a flood/fire tho)

Anyway, for gaming you dont need more than 8. And Im just gonna ask this, you do have DDR3 ram?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Cheap?? When I bought my 8GB 2-3 years ago it was about 30 euro cheaper than it is now. (something with a flood/fire tho)

Anyway, for gaming you dont need more than 8. And Im just gonna ask this, you do have DDR3 ram?
    Yeah, its DDR3 dual channel. I Also don't think that ram is as cheap as other say. It's not extremely expensive, but I remember it being cheaper some time ago.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea cheap...so cheap that prices have doubled and even tripled for RAM. And 16GB would be worthless if he has no intentions on using it. That's a waste of ~$75. Terrible advice.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought 32GB of G.Skill RAM like a year or so ago for $99 shipped. That same RAM is almost $300 now. What do you mean, CHEAP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    Yeah, its DDR3 dual channel. I Also don't think that ram is as cheap as other say. It's not extremely expensive, but I remember it being cheaper some time ago.
    Yeah, it went up. SK Hynix, one of the big memory makers, caught fire and burned, which caused the prices to go up.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Also forgot to mention, the idea of going at least a little above 8GB is to be able to capture gameplay video (and process it later). It's not something that I will do for sure but still have the possibility. However if to do that it means that I have to go all the way up to 16GB I'll wait.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    8gb is enough. It's rarely used at 100%, unless you want to run virtual machines on your pc.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    Also forgot to mention, the idea of going at least a little above 8GB is to be able to capture gameplay video (and process it later). It's not something that I will do for sure but still have the possibility. However if to do that it means that I have to go all the way up to 16GB I'll wait.
    Never seen 8GB RAM used even while recording or streaming. I would suggest the 8GB (2x4GB) and if you end up seeing your RAM still being maxed out then opt to purchase an extra 2 sticks.

Thanks for the help/tips.