Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    re: blades, blizzard auctioned some old realms ages ago. you could buy eg. Bladefist on ebay. the actual blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    Feel bad that allot of the fans here in the EU wont be able to stay up and watch this. I would love to share this very moment online with good friends and guild members. But i can't because they all have work, school, college or family's and stuff.

Just sucks.

It's Sunday morning... And it's on youtube, which means you can watch it any time you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched it all now. Very cool movie, great to see the passion of the devs and get to peek behind the curtain.

So glad they mentioned Ultima Online in this. People say EQ was the best MMO ever or something, and if you compare it to how mmos turned out maybe it was. But for me. Ultima Online always was, always will be the best MMO i have ever played.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Learned some interesting things. Very cool documentary. Nice to see people so passionate about their jobs.
    Patience is a virtue. I never claimed to be virtuous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very awesome. Loved seeing more of the inter-workings of Blizzard/WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    So glad they mentioned Ultima Online in this. People say EQ was the best MMO ever or something, and if you compare it to how mmos turned out maybe it was. But for me. Ultima Online always was, always will be the best MMO i have ever played.
    Hell yes! I definitely had a lot more fun in UO than EQ. Mostly 97/98 before the Notoriety > Fame/Karma changes and Definitely Pre-Trammel. Nothing like hiding with a friend outside some assholes tower waiting for him to recall in, stealing his keys, making copies and going into town to get random people to essentially be mercenaries to keep him and his friends at bay by letting them take whatever they can grab while ya loot the place clean.

God I'm such a nerd. That made me tear up so many times.

After watching this, I had to ask myself, "Why the fuck have I been so angry at these developers for most of the past 10 years?"

Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed. This being the primary game I grew up with, I've taken it more seriously than one should take a video game. Glad they made this doc, it was illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by Awarelol View Post
    After watching this, I had to ask myself, "Why the fuck have I been so angry at these developers for most of the past 10 years?"

Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed. This being the primary game I grew up with, I've taken it more seriously than one should take a video game. Glad they made this doc, it was illuminating.
    I had the same reaction. Feel terrible for becoming so hostile toward people that have been pouring their heart and soul into developing this game for so long. Really puts things into perspective and I hope more of the community is changed by this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispirit View Post
    I had the same reaction. Feel terrible for becoming so hostile toward people that have been pouring their heart and soul into developing this game for so long. Really puts things into perspective and I hope more of the community is changed by this.
    yeah but sadly most of the wow community wont even bother to watch an hour long documentary

Wow! totally worth the hour! While this does not excuse them from some mistakes they did I think we shouldn't forget that they are just humans and we do just as many errors as them but its often easier to blame them.

Deleted
    Them feels... Excellent documentary !

Quote Originally Posted by Awarelol View Post

I asked myself similar question midway through the film. And I gave myself an answer: Because those passionate, dedicated people did many things I disliked in passing years.
    And as a passionate and dedicated player, I feel my feedback is worth something for them.
    I don't get nerdrage for being nerfed by a patch, or losing this or that skill due to fat trimming or "making game fun".
    I don't care about small things like that. I will find optimal path to be best at my role I can be.

I get disillusioned and frustrated because I disagree with general direction game is going. And this frustration comes from love to the game. Anger is born from being powerless - and lets face it, we can't change the world (... of warcraft) - to protect what I care so much about.

This film - while it was great to watch and hits all the soft places in geek's heart - is a PR-piece. Word 'Documentary' feels wrong, when applied to this.

Don't get me wrong, Chris Metzen would be first on my Zombie Apocalypse team.
    I geek out about WoD as much as any fanboy. I deeply care for games those guys made over the years.
    And that is why I am pissed off at Blizzard, and I will remain pissed off - because I don't think their choices benefit WoW as a game, as a community and as a franchise.
    But you know what? I might be wrong.
    I'd love to be wrong! Because if I'm wrong on this - their game will be better.
    And don't we all want that at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Wow, the observation room they have is crazy.. That's how I pictured the heart of the NSA looking like. O.O
    Not too far off...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio...:NSOC-2012.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    Agree 100%. Watching this doc at work on break and people noticed eyes well up from time to time... Just said it's a geek thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    Yeah, I ain't gonna lie, I had to choke back tears a few times as well.

It's really hard not to get caught up in the emotion of folks like Metzen and Didier.

When Platner shared the bit about watching the sun rise in the game with his wife, I lost it.

Is this a PR piece? Maybe. But those guys are geeks and nerds like us, and while I may not trust the suits in charge of everything, I think the blizzard folks that appeared in the documentary are being honest about their motivations and desires. I really do think these guys care about making games people will honestly want to play.

I mean when Metzen is sitting there saying 'Will they like it? Will they come and play with us?", I think that's right from the heart.

It honestly wasn't until I sat and watched this that I realized how important Blizzard has been in my life. I remember having to work out phone schedules so a few folks I met from my BBS days and I could sit play Warcraft, and later, Warcraft 2 (No TCP/IP networking back in those days!). I remember our geek get togethers where we all hauled our systems over to a friends house for a weekend (because, you know, gaming laptops didn't exist back in those days), so we could have massive Warcraft 3 LAN parties. Alot of those friends went into Everquest with me when it came out, and then we all moved to World of Warcraft.

Even today, I make new acquaintances and friends just because WoW somehow gets mentioned, and there's an instant kinship based on common interest, especially if it turns out that they're Horde players as well.

My wife and I didn't meet because of WoW, but we shared similar interests (we met at DragonCon). She's a noob, probably always will be. One of those filthy casuals that I used to complain about. But I have a character that I only play with her. Now that our kids are getting old enough to actually play WoW, I have characters that I only play with them. We don't play in a group, so playing WoW with the kids and the wife is a one on one spending time with each other thing, because we spend time as a family pretty much all the time. Guiding them through and watching them get excited about content that I'd been done with years ago has been refreshing and some of the most fun I've had playing WoW. It's a little surreal when you're on a long car drive and the conversation from behind is something like your daughter (the middle child) educating our eldest on how he's playing his hunter wrong (she's right, he is), or how cool the pirate ship in the Deadmines is, or how they don't like Garrosh because he's mean and scares them. My eyes are of the old and cynical raider who's done the grind far far too many times. But seeing it through their eyes... reminds me of why I love the game in the first place.

For all the mistakes Blizzard may have made, WoW and Blizzard games in general have been a pretty positive thing in my life. For that, I'm willing to extend them alot of grace and patience to give them the opportunity to fix their mistakes, and I feel that, for the most part, they have. They've been a major contributor as to why this heavily introverted alpha geek has been able to avoid the pitfall of having retarded social skills by allowing him to interact with other people of similar interests in a more or less safe (and fun) environment.

For the Horde, brothers and sisters!

And, just for today, in the spirit of gamer solidarity, for the Alliance!

Wow i really love the network monitoring room they have, reminded me of something you'd expect to see at NASA

Deleted
    I love documentaries like this one, especially since I've been a part of this game for so long. All the shit, fun times, rage, epicness, ... I've gone through while playing it, it brings tears in my eyes. I'm a nerd, everyone knows that, but hell I'm proud, I live my life the way I want to live it and I love Blizzard for that.

Thank you so much, Blizzard! Made me all emotional right now!

Chris Metzen loves Malfurion and plays human paladin? Wow, he really trys to sell himself into the alliance and get rid of his rep of being horde lover.. Sell out.