Deleted
    God, now you made me go back and edit that - I need to stop writing posts at 3 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Lazel View Post
    Give back vengeance
    gib back vengeance = gib back fun

i've never seen so many tanks reroll to healers before this expansion

Deleted
    Vengeance back is the last thing we need. Vengeance was a cancer that made you do completely retarded shit during progression like standing in Annihilates to make DPS checks and made people do egregiously stupid shit to pad meters on farm at the expense of their entire raid.

Tanks need a way to do relevant DPS at a significant cost to mitigation, whether that be Harsh Words, Breath of Sindragosa, or similar mechanics. What we don't fucking need is a mechanic brought back from the dead that made us approach every fight looking for new and novel ways to almost get ourselves killed in the name of AP. There's a really big fucking difference between a smart tank being able to use Harsh Word instead of SotR while not tanking anything anyway or while a major CD is up and standing in Annihilate like a fucking retard to vengeance cap.

Deleted
    You guys do realize what vengeance would have meant in this patch right? Monk solo tanking bosses and you losing your spot. It can happen on Oregorger, Hans, perhaps beastlord, kromog is a possibility too.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't particularly see what the difference between abusing Vengeance and Harsh Words is personally. The latter trades active mitigation for damage, and the former maximizes mitigation to survive the most damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tank damage is a big issue that would make tanking more fun overall, but I still think blizzard needs to put a lot more focus on tank mechanics aswell. I can't think of a fight in BrF where tanks actually contribute anything meaningful towards the fight from a mechanic standpoint other than holding the boss, and no turning gruul to face a different group for each slice doesn't count as a random paladin can taunt and bubble soak it aswell it's not tank specific.

Looking at something like even siege, tanks had fights where you had specific unique mechanics for you like norushens tank challenge (easy but still) or the siegecrafter shredder, spoils was set by the tanks pace somewhat as well, then there was paragons with the scorpion buff (not 100% a tank mechanic but tanks got the most out of it). I'm sure I missed a few but point is I feel they just don't give tanks anything to do anymore or they do their new deal like kargath which is pick you up for 6 seconds and make you unable to do anything. HFC from what I saw with PTR testing doesn't do anything to change that either Kormrok one of the bosses next tier puts you in a hand unable to do anything till the raid frees you (I'm hoping this is changed so you can at least use some mitigation). There's also fel lord zakuun which teleports you to a different phase to afk in a corner for 10 seconds.

I just don't understand why they can't give tanks something interesting to do on any of these fights anymore. If all they can think of for new tank mechanics is make them unable to use abilities for 10+ seconds so you can think about why you are playing a tank instead of a dps that's pretty dumb. But maybe I'm just super bitter about what they're doing with tanking this xpac overall.
    Last edited by Accurate; 2015-05-04 at 01:53 AM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyuben View Post
    You guys do realize what vengeance would have meant in this patch right? Monk solo tanking bosses and you losing your spot. It can happen on Oregorger, Hans, perhaps beastlord, kromog is a possibility too.
    our monk tank soloed the last 6% of kormog during mythic progression.

vengeance would push that to 60%.

just saying. #OPmonkthings

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    I don't particularly see what the difference between abusing Vengeance and Harsh Words is personally. The latter trades active mitigation for damage, and the former maximizes mitigation to survive the most damage.
    Harsh Words doesn't encourage blatantly idiotic shit like standing in mechanics clearly designed to kill people. Vengeance does. Harsh Words and similar mechanics promote an understanding of when you can and cannot get away with sacrificing mitigation; Vengeance promotes bizarre choices in CD usage, taking an absurd amount of stacks, etc, all simply to cheese for AP.

I could go on, but the basic idea is that mitigation-for-damage tradeoffs promote good, reflected gameplay while Vengeance promotes standing in shit like a fucking idiot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PraisetheSun View Post
    Harsh Words doesn't encourage blatantly idiotic shit like standing in mechanics clearly designed to kill people. Vengeance does. Harsh Words and similar mechanics promote an understanding of when you can and cannot get away with sacrificing mitigation; Vengeance promotes bizarre choices in CD usage, taking an absurd amount of stacks, etc, all simply to cheese for AP.

I could go on, but the basic idea is that mitigation-for-damage tradeoffs promote good, reflected gameplay while Vengeance promotes standing in shit like a fucking idiot.
    I'm fairly sure vengeance didn't work from standing in fire, it only worked on boss hits and stuff. Still, I'm glad its gone, the current system is pretty good, though I don't really see the need for vengeance or resolve, but then I'm just a guy doing a job, not the guy hiring people.

I'm fairly sure vengeance didn't work from standing in fire, it only worked on boss hits and stuff. Still, I'm glad its gone, the current system is pretty good, though I don't really see the need for vengeance or resolve, but then I'm just a guy doing a job, not the guy hiring people.
    It worked from standing in fire prior to 5.4, and a mechanic like Resolve or Vengeance is necessary as otherwise tanks would have to be tuned for a particular level of damage intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzhoof View Post
    Again, I agree about the engaging gameplay, but you need to get this 75% bullshit (that they backtracked on multiple times already) out of your head. 75% of a DPS doesn't seem to be the goal currently, but we should probably get clarification on that.

Also, it isn't "grossly misrepresenting the relative strength of Breath of Sindragosa." Hell, just look at Encore's Gruul logs. Here's the one from this past week: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

They have amazing DPS players in the guild. Jello is doing 80%-90% of some of the best DPS players in the world. I'd say he pretty much plays at the skill cap, but so does Hanno for example. It does also need a single target nerf. Sure, it's much more overpowered in multi-target situations, but it's still too good in single-target situations. And yea, the talent system for DKs is fucking awful. I hate it on mine.
    Well I generally average 44-46k on that fight now. That isn't exactly 80% or more. Oh some of the people in my raid? Yes. I can tell you as Praises post right below yours said: Our lock, Rogue, and something else wasn't even near their max for their class. I can tell you we don't have the best dps. We have SOME(a moonkin, spriest, mage). The rest are pretty good.

Basically in my raid yes I look like im beating dps and being at like 90-99% of their dmg. That is because they aren't all the best or even close to it. I am myself not even close to my max on that fight. I still play like shit. My soul reaper usage is awful. I've yet to be able to get that down to using every 6-7sec under 35%.

In its first iteration, up until mid ToT I believe, this is exactly how vengeance worked.

Blizz made some changes to it before Siege but I'm fairly sure (and someone can back me up here) that there was still ridiculous play in attempts to "whore vengeance", which is completely different from playing smart and trading am for dps on the fly.

The reason you have vengeance/resolve is that tanks need to be able to scale against groups of enemies, otherwise it would be trivial for you to tank one thing or it would be impossible to tank 5. Resolve smooths the scaling by snapshotting your damage intake, therefore the more damage you are taking the more chance you can tank it (theoretically).

Ya up till Siege you could stand in shit on the ground to get vengeance. Also, /sitting was pretty cool too.

Deleted
    I mean I was soaking Annihilate during Garrosh progression to vengeance cap. It clearly still worked on SOME of the shit on the floor, you just couldn't stand in stuff like the falling rocks on Tortos any more. Whatever it was, it was still retarded in SoO, and it needs to stay dead and buried for good - unlike the concept of tanks doing relevant DPS, which desperately needs the Jesus treatment.
    Last edited by mmoc312bb4353b; 2015-05-04 at 03:15 AM.

Considering that Jellos has the current absolute top public parse on Gruul for tanks at 46.8k, and just getting in the top 200 for all classes currently takes 54,490.7 DPS, I'd be loathe to characterize what he's doing as "90% of a real DPS' DPS". That'd take somewhere in the realm of 4-5k more DPS than he's already doing with excellent trinket and ring RNG. Like, sure, he's keeping up somewhat with a rogue that's 4-5k off a respectable sub rogue parse, a warlock that's similarly far off a respectable lock parse, and he's 5k (which is 10%, for the record) behind a spec that just isn't very good at single-target at all.

I mean, I seriously don't get what this obsession everyone has about wanting tanks to be absolutely rock-fucking-bottom of the meter by a country mile is. Do I want us anywhere near the top? No. But tanks NEED to be able to trade mitigation for MEANINGFUL DPS for any sort of compelling gameplay to exist, especially so during progression (where believe it or not survival is already trivial if you're good at what you do and understand how to design a strat around your class' limitations and strengths), and that ability to trade mitigation for meaningful DPS requires that tanks do remotely meaningful DPS in the first place. Nobody outside of Blood DKs currently do, and the fact that tank DPS is so irrelevant in the first place is just a fucking cop-out for the devs to not give a shit about tuning it properly as a whole. Not a single fucking hotfix this tier to tank DPS despite Blood DK being miles ahead of everybody else and Prot Paladins looking like a morbidly obese kid trying to play WR on a varsity football team - not even a fucking mention.

Shit, a tank going balls to the fucking wall SHOULD do 90% of what a competent DPS does, and perhaps even be able to just keep up with superior RNG. Anything else results in gameplay where tanks do so little fucking DPS in the first place that they might as well not bother and the best way for a tank to help their raid becomes re-rolling to a DPS like so many top-tier tanks have done and continue to do. It's the only way to create healthy gameplay for tanks, because the alternative in terms of actually challenging good players is tuning Mythic bosses so tightly in terms of survival that they'll simply cockblock guilds that don't have top-notch tanks completely. Furthermore, if tank DPS is actually tuned to be remotely relevant, they have to fucking care if we're balanced properly or not - right now they just don't give a fuck.
    I thought that we were having a discussion about what Blizzard should do to accomplish their stated and implied design goals with tanks and not just talking about what we think would be wonderful if we were the developers. They don't want a tank to be able to do 90% of a competent DPSer's damage, and I think they're correct in that. If tanks were capable of doing 90% of a top spec's damage (I say top spec here, because you dismissed the people that Jello did 90% of due to their specs not being great single target, so it's obvious that you think tank damage should only be compared to Arcane Mages and other top 200 parsers in single-target), then we'd just run like 10 tanks in a raid and two heal every fight. It's ridiculous to ask that a tank compete with DPS. Most DPS players rightfully get upset when tanks are beating or competing with them. You also have to take into consideration that they don't want a great tank beating a good DPS. 90% is just too close to accomplish that.

I don't want to do dog shit damage like we do now, but I think 60-70% of a DPSer is where we should be. It prevents guilds from stacking tanks, but doesn't make us irrelevant. Honestly 50% wouldn't make us irrelevant, but it feels bad to do that little. I also would like more compelling gameplay, but I think that a direct survivability for damage tradeoff like Harsh Words is a better design goal than a big cooldown like BoS or a mechanic like Vengeance. I know many of the people on this board loved Vengeance, but it was in encouraged play that was in direct opposition to what a tank is supposed to be doing.

There's nothing wrong with tanks competing with, or beating some DPS on a given fight. There are any number of mechanics that can be put in place to prevent you from stacking tanks (Vengeance was one); tanks are just DPS that have threat on the boss, this isn't Vanilla or something.

Deleted
    My point with regards to, in this case Hanno (obviously a top-tier Shadow Priest) not being relevant in terms of the argument was that piss-poor balancing of DPS specs is not an excuse for bad tuning of tank specs. Hanno SHOULD be capable of doing 60k just like an Arcane mage or lolhunter, and SHOULD be ahead of Jellos by the same margin as an Arcane mage, but unfortunately Blizzard are either incompetent or uncaring with regards to tuning DPS specs so there's not a 10-15% difference between top and "regular" DPS specs. It's why I only give a shit about where the top 200 parses are at because every single DPS spec ought realistically be able to achieve a top 200 parse. Blizzard consistently doing a chimp's job at balancing their own game cannot seriously be used against an argument that (perhaps unreasonably idealistically) assumes they are actually capable individuals concerned about proper game balance rather than more hats for fucking Pepe the shitbird.

And for the record, there are plenty of ways to disincentivize tank stacking without necessarily meaning we have to do assbag DPS - something as simple as a zone-wide debuff to all tanks' DPS when there's more than 2 tank-specced players in the raid would disincentivize it enough, on top of hopefully curbing (if only due to mental stigma, really) the ridiculous T17 trend of 3-tanking every fucking fight.

And for the record, if we did 50% of what a good DPS did single-target we'd be completely fucking irrelevant while enrage timers are still a thing. It wouldn't matter if you played Holy Shield or perfect Seraphim in the first week on Gruul because your DPS would be so fucking terrible in all cases that whether or not your raid had good proc RNG overall would have a much, much more significant impact than whether or not you actually played properly. That's fucking shitty design. Player input needs to have palpable effect, even if we're not outright DPS.

Edit: Also, I'd like to echo what Saiyendra said. If I had my say, tanks would be exactly what he mentions - DPS with threat on the boss and the capability to survive it - but we have to work around the developers being married to outdated ideas that hearken from a long-gone era of the game. What is it exactly that justifies tanks not being capable of good DPS other than that's how it's always been dagnabbit? Nothing, really, and it's probably not ever going to be changed - but the least we can do is lobby for being useful, contributing members of the raid rather than these shitty raid-spot-filling meat popsicles that are only really brought because the game is designed in such a way that we can't NOT be brought.
    Last edited by mmoc312bb4353b; 2015-05-04 at 03:36 AM.

Also buff paladins.

Rabble, rabble, rabble.

Pepe the shitbird.

Therefore.... im pepe?

This talk of tanks and such reminds me of the system Dungeons and Dragons Online has. You have the option of being the hulk and gaining aggro by doing the most damage and being the biggest threat, but you also have the ability to specialize in making your attacks deal more threat and also boost the Intimidate skill to "taunt" stuff and keep aggro that way.

Seriously Blizz, let people do something interesting and awesome for a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder