10+ Year Old Account

Question Regarding SSDs

For an SSD (used only for games, not the OS), is it better to put the addon files/folder on the HDD or just keep it on the SSD (with the goal of prolonging its life span)?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Taiknee; 2014-11-14 at 11:28 PM.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know about addons, but I imagine it would be better on the SSD but I don't know how they function soooo... /shrug.

That said, SSDs are really durable (provided there's no manufacture defect). Chances of you ruining one from wear and tear will take you ages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thanks a bunches Remilia!
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Get an SSD, use it, love it. The durability issue is a hangover from SSDs were fundamentally worse(less rewrites) compounded by very small capacities. In reality you need a massive daily throughput to kill one in a reasonable time frame through wear and tear. Always fun to see people grab one then come up with an incredibly intricate plan about how they are subsequently going to use it as little as possible, just unnecessary.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Get an SSD, use it, love it. The durability issue is a hangover from SSDs were fundamentally worse(less rewrites) compounded by very small capacities. In reality you need a massive daily throughput to kill one in a reasonable time frame through wear and tear. Always fun to see people grab one then come up with an incredibly intricate plan about how they are subsequently going to use it as little as possible, just unnecessary.
    This here. Today's SSD's, regardless of load, will have a longer life than mechanical hard drives. Unless you try to defrag them or something (which isn't necesary anyway).

10+ Year Old Account
    SSDs have pretty phenomenal write endurance nowadays.

To demonstrate, back in August of 2013, techreport started an experiment to see just how much punishment SSDs can take.

That experiment is still running, more than a year later, with over 1.5TB of data written
    . Granted, only two of the original six drives are still operational, but the first failure didn't occur until 728TB.

Under real-world consumer-usage conditions, hitting that amount of writes would literally take centuries. Their test model of the SSD I own (a Samsung 840 250GB) checked out somewhere between 900TB and 1000TB. According to Samsung's software, over the 6 months I've owned the drive, I have written 1.09TB of data to it (including exceptional events like OS install and such).

That's 6.41GB/day. At that rate, hitting the 900TB mark would take just over 384 years.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-11-20 at 04:59 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Modern SSDs are monsters likely to take over the world.

On a more serious note, the newer SSDs can write pretty consistently data from companies like Disney/PIXAR for years. And they go through a lot of data.

Apart from turning off defrag, a lot of the early "tweaks" to help SSD life can be largely ignored now.

I wouldn't want to run one as my main download location as an obsessive hoarder of all available media (we all have the friend who MUST have EVERY series, album, film and game in existence) who has downloads running pretty much 24/7. Any other workload where you are writing 100% drive capacities worth of data to it every couple of days would be bad too. For pretty much any other use, they are perfectly fine now, no real special care needs to be taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Apart from turning off defrag, a lot of the early "tweaks" to help SSD life can be largely ignored now.

I wouldn't want to run one as my main download location as an obsessive hoarder of all available media (we all have the friend who MUST have EVERY series, album, film and game in existence) who has downloads running pretty much 24/7. Any other workload where you are writing 100% drive capacities worth of data to it every couple of days would be bad too. For pretty much any other use, they are perfectly fine now, no real special care needs to be taken.
    Even if you filled the drive every other day, it would still take over a decade to run up against the write limits.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters