Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Budget Build Performance in WoD.

Hey everyone,

With WoD finally released, the ole WoW addiction has kicked back up and I'm planning on making a return to the game. However, I'm definitely in need of a new rig.

I'm a student, so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck while still getting a great gaming experience. I've been doing some research on good pieces currently available, and it's brought up some questions. The first is, I see a lot of people getting i5 and i7 processors for their builds. Is there a reason no one gets the cheaper AMD 8-core or 6-core ?

Here's the build I've come up with thus far (Already have SSD and Optic Drive from previous PC):

CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core $99.94
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Combo or $64.99
    Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Combo or $79.99
    Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II $184.99
    Case Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower $39.99
    Power Supply Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V $49.99
    Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 $38.88
    Total: $543.77

Anyone running a build like this offer any experiences in WoD? Can you run ultra? FPS on average? FPS in 25 mans?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a couple GTX 760 vids I was able to find, seems pre patch 6.0.2 - First is on i7, second on AMD 8-core

youtube.com/watch?v=DR8i1gtdgbY

youtube.com/watch?v=eEnnrh5vlRA

(Sorry, can't post links yet).

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go with something along this line.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.78 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($199.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.99 @ Directron)
    Total: $565.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-17 20:31 EST-0500

Thanks for the reply.

Major difference seems to be the processor. Any insight into why no one uses the AMD processors in their WoW builds? Seems almost like intel i5-i7 is regarded as mandatory.

Also, any ideas on the kinds of settings and frames you can achieve with your build? (particularly in LFR, etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's mainly for the single thread processing which the Intel one does better.

The FX6300 can work provided you overclock a bit. i3 one is 2 core + HT which provides a decent entry for some multi-tasking while decent for gaming. As for frame rate, not entirely sure as I don't have that processor, >.>
    The reason i5/i7 unlocked processors are recommended is because they can be overclocked.
    As for the PSU, it's better than Raidmax, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post

The FX6300 can work provided you overclock a bit. i3 one is 2 core + HT which provides a decent entry for some multi-tasking while decent for gaming. As for frame rate, not entirely sure as I don't have that processor, >.>
    The reason i5/i7 unlocked processors are recommended is because they can be overclocked.
    As for the PSU, it's better than Raidmax, simple as that.
    Cool, thanks. If I'm going to have to spring for an Intel, I was thinking I might go ahead and see how much comp I can get for around 1k. Any thoughts on how this type of build might perform?

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core $329.97
    Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 $189.98
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $74.99
    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V $349.99
    Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower $49.99
    Power Supply Antec 520W ATX12V / EPS12V $52.99
    Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 $38.88
    Total: $1086.79

Might sub out the i7 for an i5 to save a little, but not sure how much it would cost in in-game performance.

Two things I would change:
    Get a 4690k
    Get a Z97 board that doesn't cost so much(like the GA-Z97X-SLI)

Both the 4690k and the 4790k will overclock about the same while costing quite a bit less.
    Z87 boards pretty much the previous iteration of the Z97, no reason to go with them if your starting fresh.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    While you could do something like that, you should get a Z97 board so you don't have to update / flash the bios to be compatible with the Haswell Refresh. Something like either of these two would work.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyt...-gaz97xgaming5
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97a

I'd sub out to i5 and get a nice cooler like NH D-15 or Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 to OC.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Two things I would change:
    Get a 4690k
    Get a Z97 board that doesn't cost so much(like the GA-Z97X-SLI)

Both the 4690k and the 4790k will overclock about the same while costing quite a bit less.
    Z87 boards pretty much the previous iteration of the Z97, no reason to go with them if your starting fresh.
    While you could do something like that, you should get a Z97 board so you don't have to update / flash the bios to be compatible with the Haswell Refresh. Something like either of these two would work.

I'd sub out to i5 and get a nice cooler like NH D-15 or Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 to OC.
    Very helpful info, thanks.

Any ideas how they would perform in-game? Identical build with i7 vs i5? I've never had a system capable of running ultra setting. It'd be pretty sweet to run 25 mans on ultra at 60 FPS. Could scratch that off my bucket list.

CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $229.94
    CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM $71.97
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 $129.99
    Total: $959.86

Didn't see an NH D-15.

This single statement is why intel is simply the better choice for World of Warcraft at present.
    AMD do not come close.

Now whether DirectX 12 (sometime in the future) will make any difference remains to be seen, though I most certainly would like it to.
    Would offer a whole lot more options for budget builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb Mine View Post
    Very helpful info, thanks.

Any ideas how they would perform in-game? Identical build with i7 vs i5? I've never had a system capable of running ultra setting. It'd be pretty sweet to run 25 mans on ultra at 60 FPS. Could scratch that off my bucket list.
    Firstly I would get rid if the idea that you are going to see that sort of performance consistently, since that doesn't happen consistently on much higher budget builds.
    There won't be a lot between an i5 and an i7 in terms of single-core performance, and so for WoW alone there won't be much benefit.
    For video editing, or other multi-threaded applications yes.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-11-18 at 04:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most G.skill Ripjaws X has some heat spreader fins which the NH-D14 won't fit under. What site are you using anyways?

Deleted
    CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $229.94
    CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM $71.97
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 $129.99
    Total: $959.86

You don't need an SSD/HDD or windows?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    You don't need an SSD/HDD or windows?
    Here's the build I've come up with thus far (Already have SSD and Optic Drive from previous PC):
    From first post.

I would personally get the i7 if I were to upgrade (and I'm thinking about it). The extra threads of the i7 really make a difference in raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    More amusing than that is the fact that the entire basis behind Sinestra as a lore character is that she was the only dragon who was able to withstand the power of Deathwing's cock.

Deleted
    From first post.
    Woops, tried looking for that. Nevermind me then

Quote Originally Posted by Samfisher View Post
    I would personally get the i7 if I were to upgrade (and I'm thinking about it). The extra threads of the i7 really make a difference in raids.
    Not really no, unless your a really-heavy multi-tasker(rendering & encoding while playing & streaming at the same time). At the same clock speeds, it will run pretty much identical to the i5-4690k. Unless your running them at stock speeds, where the i7 has a higher-clock, then the i7 will perform better albeit at a massive price increase.
    Though if your getting a 4690k and running it at stock speeds, your doing it wrong
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Not really no, unless your a really-heavy multi-tasker(rendering & encoding while playing & streaming at the same time). At the same clock speeds, it will run pretty much identical to the i5-4690k. Unless your running them at stock speeds, where the i7 has a higher-clock, then the i7 will perform better albeit at a massive price increase.
    Though if your getting a 4690k and running it at stock speeds, your doing it wrong
    Except that I have proof of the i7 being better. I'm on a i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge) clocked at 4.4GHz with a GTX 970 OC'd to 980 performance levels.

My friend has a i7-4790k running at 4-4.2GHz (he's stubborn and wants to use the stock Intel cooler so he gets thermal throttled) and sitting in busy areas the i7 wins out every single time. He's using a GTX 780.

My raid leader is on a i7-4770 at stock and she's getting 200+ FPS in raids on Ultra with a GTX 770. I get at best 120.

In Shrine, looking out over the zone, I get 45 FPS. My friend gets a solid 60 with V-Sync on at the exact same spot.

Ivy Bridge -> Haswell is at most a 10% performance boost, and my GPU beats every single one that my friends/RL has. The singular difference is the CPU.
    More amusing than that is the fact that the entire basis behind Sinestra as a lore character is that she was the only dragon who was able to withstand the power of Deathwing's cock.

Deleted
    Except that I have proof of the i7 being better. I'm on a i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge) clocked at 4.4GHz with a GTX 970 OC'd to 980 performance levels.

My friend has a i7-4790k running at 4-4.2GHz (he's stubborn and wants to use the stock Intel cooler so he gets thermal throttled) and sitting in busy areas the i7 wins out every single time. He's using a GTX 780.

My raid leader is on a i7-4770 at stock and she's getting 200+ FPS in raids on Ultra with a GTX 770. I get at best 120.

In Shrine, looking out over the zone, I get 45 FPS. My friend gets a solid 60 with V-Sync on at the exact same spot.

Ivy Bridge -> Haswell is at most a 10% performance boost, and my GPU beats every single one that my friends/RL has. The singular difference is the CPU.
    First, how on earth can you throttle a 4790k even with the stock cooler.... He has to take a good look at the airflow in his case.

Second, I call BS on your RL. That is just impossible during heavy fights.

What are you running in the background/amount of addons etc? Then we have the resolution...

WOW really isnt using 8 threads.

I'm quite sure that they are lying to you in some form or another as there are tens of thousands of others(quite a few of them on this very board) with much better systems that cannot achieve that kind of performance, it is simply not possible with the WoW engine.

The only time you should be getting a i7 is if you need it for the hyperthreading aspect for programs that benefit from the hyperthreading(encoding videos and such) and/or are a heavy multi-tasker.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    First, how on earth can you throttle a 4790k even with the stock cooler.... He has to take a good look at the airflow in his case.

Second, I call BS on your RL. That is just impossible during heavy fights.

What are you running in the background/amount of addons etc? Then we have the resolution...

WOW really isnt using 8 threads.
    I run nothing in the background except Mumble. Even then, discounting what my RL said, the i7 on my friend's PC outperforms mine in places with a lot of players and/or places with very far draw distances.

What can I expect from the budget build Remilia postet in the second post? Can it run other new games in decent settings in 1080p? :