Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

WoD Challenge Modes

So last night was my first experience of challenge modes in Skyreach. I did pug it but they were competent pugs thankfully.

But omg it seems so much more difficult than MoP. I play a a Rogue and I'm pretty good but some of that trash was just crazy. Like the bird packs before Rukhran? Even vanish didn't seem to remove their fixate.

How're you guys finding them generally? Not just clearing but actually achieving a medal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty fucking hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Deleted
    I did shadowmoon burial grounds, ubrs and skyreach for the daily quests so far.
    We know each other but we are no dedicated CM-group from MoP or something like that. Since the first cm we did (sbg) worked pretty good we just decided to do the following daily CM quests together too.

Comp: tank monk, dps monk, resto druid, moonkin, warlock

So far our goal was just to complete the daily quests and as it turned out we always managed to get bronze with silver at least seeming reachable for ubrs and skyreach. Gold however: not by a mile. But we're not even fully geared yet and our comp isn't very versatile in terms of utility. So what.

We basically did it using heavy CC on trash (especially skyreach). Our runs pretty much resemble early day BC heroics.
    Today it's skyreach again, so maybe we will manage to get silver. But we won't start resetting the dungeons just to get medals.

Heard of friends doing 4h+ "runs".

Currently playing Prot warrior @ 628 ilvl (625 in Challenge mode), our usual setup is War (tank), HPal, DK, Lock, Mage/Boomkin

I did Grimrail Depot 2 days ago. Not really difficult. Basically "CC trash mobs and don't stand in the fire". First boss was a bit tough because the Gronn hits like a TRUCK. But we had lackluster DPS (1 still @615, the other 619) that could have fixed the oom-healer issue.

Did Skyreach yesterday. Definitely harder. Trash mobs are freakin' hard. Some are ridiculous. Not being able to kick the "Empower" and needing a hard CC to counter makes those pack very prone to wiping at the first small mistake.
    - First boss (Wind wall one) hits REALLY hard. As usual it's up to your DPS to dodge environment damage so that the healer can focus on the tank.
    - Second boss (healing beams) is hard AoE healing-wise. As a tank you HAVE to dodge every "Smash" or you'll get hit for 200k~ (you can see which hand he uses and have about a second to dodge it).
    - 3 packs of trash before Rukhran are freaking ridiculous. Need to use lots of AoE stuns to counter the Fixates. The final pack of trash before Rukhran is basically CC the "Master" or die. He buffs his birds and I made the mistake of pulling the entire pack thinking "Whatever, 6 little birds and a mob, I'm good" : god globalled @ about 30k per hit from each bird. Boss itself it pretty easy. Same as heroic but more damage: if you kite your phoenix properly and hide when he Quills, there's no prob. We got him first try.
    - You can invisibility the penultimate pack of trash before the last boss. And probably even the last trash (big golem with adds on its arms), since you're already at 46/46 ennemies ; although we did kill him in case he would go through the wall spawning when you pull the boss (since you have to tank it next to it, as far as the edges as possible). Boss itself is pretty easy. Kick stuff, kill adds, kite the beam.

We finished 30sec away from Bronze and Realm best time on our second clean (Had to do it twice since I'm the only tank and we had 2 other DPS needing the daily quest). Probably didn't keep it today, since we were not @630 at all and tried stuff during the challenge.

They're harder because your gear level and lack of sockets is making them harder. In addition, playing melee is still playing hard mode dps - every CM is extremely unforgiving for melee, make sure you spec into survival shit and use CC liberally.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hard for me to tell honestly. Bosses are much harder compared to the MoP comparison. Less emphasis on trash, but there are trash mobs you likely have to CC in order to pull safely.

I usually hit up each one twice a day for the daily to help guilds, and we usually get silver runs and sometimes we just do terribly. Our first one in UBRS took an hour and 30 minutes lol. Granted, nobody used flasks/consumables and nobody had enchants. We had no idea what we were doing and the average iLvL was well below 620 at the time.

I think they are just tuned a bit more tightly than MoP ones, but who knows. A lot of it has to do with some people not actually having the proper gear for them nor being use to the actual encounters/mobs in the instance. Once it's a bit more well known it will be easier when tricks are a bit more common. Without sockets and tank vengeance, I have a feeling that the power creep won't be as bad this expansion, minus the buffs a handful of classes will be getting throughout the expansion.

They are a nice departure from MoP though. More emphasis on bosses (which is good) and less gimmicky items, although somethings still work.

We did Iron docks two days ago on a group guild with decent players, we made a few mistakes, aggroed too much mobs and were uncertain about the strat, so we missed silver.

Skyreach was on a completely different level, we wiped multiple times on the first 3 bosses and cleaned in 1h53. For a 640 helmet that I was about to make in Engineering.

I found skyreach very easy. Tho granted we took it slow.

Slag mines we found pretty hard. The last boss especially is an arse. The aoe damage is very high, positioning is hard since the whole room fills with puddles that never despawn and we seemed to spend 80% of the boss fight killing the adds since they aoe. Having said that we were woefully geared for it most of us way under 620.

Been attempting them as 3 melee set up, using off specs as its 3 tanks and 2 healers main in our group using off specs for the CM's. Oh yeah we don't have bloodlust either.

Needless to say it's been difficult, especially since we haven't actually tried yesterdays after everyone was 620+. We did slag mines with avg about 610 or possibly slightly lower (we weren't even aware you could get the 680 ring at this point) and weren't even looking at bronze, last boss was utter hell though with a lot of difficulty managing space with the low dps and lack of room for the melees.

We didn't even try grimrail depot given how difficult we found the heroic compared to others. Skyreach was fine (honestly the trash is a real breeze if you actually cc it). up till second boss. First boss hurt a lot but was certainly manageable. We struggled to do second boss before running out of effective cd's/healer mana for soaking the beams - next time we go into CM's we're planning to ahve the new drums, since the old ones dont work post 90.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    They're harder because your gear level and lack of sockets is making them harder.
    Too bad gems don't work in wod cms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    They're harder because your gear level and lack of sockets is making them harder.
    Sockets don't work in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortiah View Post
    We finished 30sec away from Bronze and Realm best time on our second clean (Had to do it twice since I'm the only tank and we had 2 other DPS needing the daily quest). Probably didn't keep it today, since we were not @630 at all and tried stuff during the challenge.
    I think its kind of stupid groups can get realm best title's and Feats of Strength when they can't even get bronze timers, there is a group on my server that has a 2 hour run of UBRS and they will run around with the title till someone actually does a proper run.
    Last edited by Equoowe; 2014-11-20 at 01:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Equoowe View Post
    I think its kind of stupid groups can get realm best tittle's and Feats of Strength when they can't even get bronze timers, there is a group on my server that has a 2 hour run of UBRS and they will run around with the tittle till someone actually does a proper run.
    Best time is still best, regardless of how slow that best time is.

Sockets don't work in WoD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Too bad gems don't work in wod cms.
    Shows what I know!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Best time is still best, regardless of how slow that best time is.
    Being the first and only group to wipe for hours and finish the instance shouldn't reward you with a tittle and FoS.

Deleted
    Being the first and only group to wipe for hours and finish the instance shouldn't reward you with a tittle and FoS.
    Of course it should, since that means you have the fastest time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some seems overtuned, others WAY to easy, atm ive done, bloodmaul, UBRS, skyreach and Everbloom
    Skyreach: only 2nd boss is tough as long u can handle the 3beams

Everbloom: 4th boss, we had 7wipes, compared to 1shotting 5th without any deaths

UBRS: 2nd and 3rd boss not to hard, 4th medium, first and last seems WAY to overtuned, tho last boss dosnt use her most deadly ability, the knockback on the tank, still 20wipes and 4hours to clear

Bloodmaul: slavemaster, not to hard, the elemental dude (forgot name) trash before him is harder then the boss, 3rd and 4th boss was 1shot and undertuned, we had to kite the ogron trash before last boss, hitting me for 60-70k.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

What's the proper way to clear trash before the elemental boss in Bloodmaul? Adds keep spawning so I'm not sure what we have to clear. On heroics I just pull everything up untill the boss, but on CMs that obviously won't be possible. Maybe pull the magma guy all the way back so that the new adds don't aggro?
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Of course it should, since that means you have the fastest time.
    Being literally the only group that does the instance and that doesn't even get bronze shouldn't get you a title, these groups would never get the tittles if they had to compete for them.
    Last edited by Equoowe; 2014-11-20 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    What's the proper way to clear trash before the elemental boss in Bloodmaul? Adds keep spawning so I'm not sure what we have to clear. On heroics I just pull everything up untill the boss, but on CMs that obviously won't be possible. Maybe pull the magma guy all the way back so that the new adds don't aggro?
    Bring out one of the large elementals (there are 2 iirc) at a time and avoid their frontal damage abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Being literally the only group that does the instance and that doesn't even get bronze shouldn't get you a tittle, these groups would never get the tittles if they had to compete for them.
    That's not true, I got the title/FoS from most of the WoD CMs, simply because we were the first ones in there. When we started doing CMs, we had an average ilvl og 605-610, now that we've grinded more HC dungeons, we've been able to do those CMs a lot faster, and we're now miles ahead of anyone trying as well.

Maybe there isn't much competition about the first set of FoS that's being dealt out, but it shows commitment and dedication, and that's fine by me.