Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Predictions on SWTOR.

What are your opinions on how long SWTOR will last until shutdown, also do you think that once this happens there will be a new star wars mmo in development/released, and if so what timeline of the star wars universe do you think it will be in?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My predictions are it will not get shutdown until it stops being profitable or Disney revokes the license EA has.

Atm it is very profitable and Disney would be stupid to kill a cashcow. so no time soon. If there ever is a new Star Wars MMO it will likely be set after or around the new trilogy/storylines in the new Movies/Comics/Books etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    My predictions are it will not get shutdown until it stops being profitable or Disney revokes the license EA has.

Atm it is very profitable and Disney would be stupid to kill a cashcow. so no time soon. If there ever is a new Star Wars MMO it will likely be set after or around the new trilogy/storylines in the new Movies/Comics/Books etc.
    Pretty much that.

Right now the game makes way to much money to be shut down. A million plus subscribers as well as 100 +Million in revenue.

EA isn't going to make statements like:

"Star Wars: The Old Republic and FIFA Online 3 also continue to be significant contributors."

in reference to EA being up 50% in profits in the past quarter. SWTOR despite some of it's problems is a a good game. It's got some problems but it seems most games do these days. It's all in what you, the gamer are OK with because right now, swtor isn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Right now the game makes way to much money to be shut down. A million plus subscribers as well as 100 +Million in revenue.
    A million unique monthly logins, not subscribers. They haven't publicly stated subscriber numbers since it went F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A million unique monthly logins, not subscribers. They haven't publicly stated subscriber numbers since it went F2P.
    Good point.

PR work at it's best again.

new xpac coming up, movie hype it will be around for a decent amount of time yet... esp with the F2P model.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

i think it will be around for many time its such a nice game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Good point.

PR work at it's best again.
    Yeah, they were careful with the wording. I got a lot of rage whispers in trade chat when I said I wasn’t raiding Highmaul because I was off to play Star Wars.

“LOLZ MIL SUBS NO WAI”.

But the infographic stated that it was over a million “active players” which, to me, is still an extremely healthy game. I’m subscribed because I think it’s the best MMORPG on the market, despite the awful engine, but if even a quarter of a million people are subscribed, that’s an awful lot of finance pouring in (not to mention the microtransactions that are going in).

It’s got a lot of legs yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulree View Post
    Yeah, they were careful with the wording. I got a lot of rage whispers in trade chat when I said I wasn’t raiding Highmaul because I was off to play Star Wars.

“LOLZ MIL SUBS NO WAI”.

But the infographic stated that it was over a million “active players” which, to me, is still an extremely healthy game. I’m subscribed because I think it’s the best MMORPG on the market, despite the awful engine, but if even a quarter of a million people are subscribed, that’s an awful lot of finance pouring in (not to mention the microtransactions that are going in).

It’s got a lot of legs yet.

Although I am loving the new WoD, I've found myself wanting to play SW:TOR. Despite only being low level (can't stick to a class) I just love the feel of this game. If interest continues, is it out with the realm of possibility that BW upgrades the engine?

10+ Year Old Account
    We can hope that the new movies hit it off and a MMO is designed around them, created with a proper engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    We can hope that the new movies hit it off and a MMO is designed around them, created with a proper engine.
    I'd be beyond surprised. EA has the Star Wars IP on lockdown (at least for non mobile games) for many years to come, and I don't think they're looking to run multiple Star Wars MMO's at once, or make a huge gamble on another big-budget MMO like they did with SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be beyond surprised. EA has the Star Wars IP on lockdown (at least for non mobile games) for many years to come, and I don't think they're looking to run multiple Star Wars MMO's at once, or make a huge gamble on another big-budget MMO like they did with SWTOR.
    Sadly, I think that's pretty much the long and short of it. I've not given up hope that they'll reach the conclusion that a new engine and "relaunch" could be hugely profitable for TOR and, thus, worth doing... But I won't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulree View Post
    Sadly, I think that's pretty much the long and short of it. I've not given up hope that they'll reach the conclusion that a new engine and "relaunch" could be hugely profitable for TOR and, thus, worth doing... But I won't hold my breath.
    How would it be hugely profitable? The amount of work porting this to another engine would be pretty massive, and the games not really going to benefit all that much from a relaunch, at least unless that relaunch is essentially akin to the FFXIV relaunch (which was an almost entirely different game). They'd have to see a massive bump in players, specifically paying players, and with SWTOR's reputation and age (3 years, but by the time it would be finished it would be 5+), and given how it's performed so far, even at its height shortly after launch, I don't see that audience : /

At this point, the game is going to keep on trucking as it is. I think there's little hope for another Star Wars MMO while EA holds the license, so we can just hope for some Star Wars RPG's to go along with Battlefront 3.

Deleted
    I find it funny when people think Swtor is dying / dead when its in fact making more money than it did while it was still P2P. The micro-transactions are making them millions and its unlikely to be cancelled anytime soon.

15+ Year Old Account
    People still play SWOTOR? How can you find any interest after going through all the same content with more than 4 toons?
    I wanted to see all the class story lines but after leveling 4 times that was it for me. Seriously...they need to crank out ALOT more content and provide multiple zone options to level in. It is just far to linear.

Would be surprised to see the servers stay open for 2 more years.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

There is zero chance of a new SW MMO based on the new films, at least for now. The reason is simple: they will not want to have something out that is story-based until after they are done with the new trilogy. So EA having the rights or not, Disney will want the films out pf the way first, if not even some of the side-projects, too. Once they establish what this "new" universe is, then they might do.

And that's without taking into consideration the fact that swtor made 160 million or something last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    People still play SWOTOR? How can you find any interest after going through all the same content with more than 4 toons?
    I wanted to see all the class story lines but after leveling 4 times that was it for me. Seriously...they need to crank out ALOT more content and provide multiple zone options to level in. It is just far to linear.

people still play wow after playing through the same content over and over and over for 10 years. is it that far fectched to think there might be some people who would prefer to play through star wars content over and over to warcraft?

Deleted

Wow, troll is bad, game just released 3.0 SoR, has a very healthy player base. Try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would it be hugely profitable?
    I said could.

I've considered all the things you've mentioned, and came to the same conclusions. My point is purely that a lot of people were hugely looking forward to The Old Republic, and the engine let them down in a massive, massive way. If that problem were fixed, I believe Star Wars is the best MMORPG on the market at the moment and that many players could (there's that word again, "could") want to come back. Even if that were, say, 100,000 subscribers then that'd be very profitable in the longer term.

I'm speculating.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After the boring shit that is WoD I've decided to play Swtor seriously again.

Even though I'm leaving Australian server latency behind for Swtor, I just find it much more engaging and fun than Warlords of timegating.

- - - Updated - - -

As opposed to WoW's "same storylines for all" Yeah 'll stick to enjoying leveling in Swtor.