Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

T17 (Highmaul/Blackrock) Hunter Tips and Tricks!

Post them all here! I'll update them as we go along. Mythic-specific tips will be indicated by being bold/italicized. Anything from talent choices to use of esoteric abilities to do something much easier (CF Camoflauge to dodge ranged abilities in MoP encounters) should be good.

Highmaul

Kargath
    - You can deterrence berserker Rush (Important for Mythic/Roar of the Crowd mechanic)

The Butcher

Tectus
    - You can use KC out of line of sight, and beast cleaves also help to fills gaps of LoS problems. (BM only, obviously)
    - Can run through red smoke with Deterrance.
    - Can disengage over red smoke without taking damage if aimed properly.

Brackenspore
    - Infesting spores can be blocked with deterrence, and stacks can be reset with Feign Death (also check Camo).
    - (Mythic): Deterrence negates damage from the wave.
    - Recommended Glyph/Talent: "Glyph of Aspect of the Cheetah" allows you to retain the movement speed buff from the Aspect even after using flamethrower and taking the debuff damage.
    - Recommended Glyph/Talent: Posthaste (T15 talent) combined with Cheetah above allows very fast movement for maximum flamethrowing.

Twin Ogron
    - Deterrence through fire
    - Deterrence completely negates the damage of Pulverize and Shield Charge.

Kor'agh
    - You can use Deterrence to block application of Expel Magic: Fire.
    - Expel Magic: Frost If he casts it on a Hunter you can Feign Death and no Orb will spawn, but you have to be very fast because it's a 1.5sec cast!
    - Potential Fox Usage: During Expel Magic: Fire debuff for clean organized spreading
    - - (Mythic, Spec Recommendation): Determine what your raid needs. SV hunters make good soakers as magic users are no good for breaking MCs but good for breaking the boss's shield. MM hunters (barring ChS) are purely physical, and can break MCs, and thus are usually non-soakers. FS is physical, Exotic Munitions is magic, pet damage is physical, all level 90 talents are physical damage.

Imperator
    - Deterrence negates damage from Fortification Nova
    - CAN disengage over runes in emergencies (not recommended)
    - Deterrence negates the damage from Arcane Wrath (being branded) if your hunters are the ones handling it.
    - Deterrence negates the ogre mages' casts. Not really worth it though since they do not do much damage.
    - Binding can stun Volatile Anomalies during phase transitions.
    - Potential Fox Usage: Displacement Nova (p2 force nova)
    Last edited by eschatological; 2015-01-26 at 06:31 PM.

You can disengage over the moving fire on Twin Ogron.
    More relevant on Mythic but you can also deterrence Berserker Rush for full avoidance.
    Finbez
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological
    if only WoW had come out when I was a teenager. Back then online gaming consisted of text-based MUDs....I could type "kill orc" faster than any of my competition, brosephs, and played a mean giantman cleric.

Deleted
    I was wondering if you could feign death in Berserker Rush in order to interrupt it? Sorta like you could on Aim at Klaxxi.

Anyone knows if you can?

In Beta you could deterrence through Oregorgers Rolling Fury, so you didn't had to run away from him while rolling around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazan View Post
    I was wondering if you could feign death in Berserker Rush in order to interrupt it? Sorta like you could on Aim at Klaxxi.

Anyone knows if you can?
    If you drop threat he'll immediately fixate on a new target and most probably kill any people near him who weren't expecting the target change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapayuki View Post
    If you drop threat he'll immediately fixate on a new target and most probably kill any people near him who weren't expecting the target change.
    This is on the same level as people FD to avoid Thoks fixate lol killing half the raid in the process.

They fixed the fire on Twins? nice. When it was tested on beta I tried Disengaging over it and still got a stack (sometimes 2,) while Heroic Leap/etc avoided that.

Tectus:
    BM recommended(AoE and heavy movement).
    You can use KC out of line of sight, and beast cleaves also help to fills gaps of LoS problems.
    Cannot Deterrence rock pilar uproots.
    Can dett the smoke lines, but pretty sure they dont negate damage.

Twins:
    Near impossible to cleave chimera off these two so do not risk it (for those of you, like me, who prefer to hold onto chimera a few seconds to try and get a cleave split)

Ko'ragh:
    Dett does not help to soak the orb. You need the shield from Null Bubble only.
    Fox used during Expel Magic: Fire debuff for clean organized spreading
    Rotate MD's for adds during each wave of Nullification Barrier phase.

Imperator:
    Fox used for Displacement Nova
    Dett negates damage from Fortification Nova
    CAN disengage over runes... used add explosion knockback as extra boost.(NOT RECOMMENDED!!)
    Dett negates the ogre mages' casts. Not really worth it tho since they do not do much damage.
    Binding can stun Volatile Anomalies during phase transitions.
    Chimera can cleave off of Aberrations, but harder to cleave off Boss to hit Aberrations
    When you get Branded, run out of the raid first, then use disengage once you get ported back.
    Can probably dett the tank explosion from Mark of Chaos if you happen to be be too close to them.
    (EDIT: not sure if trap was still arming, or i disengaged over while it was armed after being knockback.... dont do it)
    Last edited by Walajanilu; 2014-12-04 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walajanilu View Post
    Tectus:
    BM recommended(AoE and heavy movement).
    MM is far better for Tectus, you are doing single-target for 80% of the fight and there is not really that much movement. Warcraft Logs our Normal Butcher kill, my ST uptime was 84% which is pretty high for pretty much first pull of the boss beyond P1 and raid leading.

OT:

Kargath:
    -Didn't really notice much as nothing really happens in that fight apart from the Cleave chasing, which can be blocked by Deterrance as explained above.
    Spec recommendation: MM, Glaive Toss

Butcher:
    -Again nothing that you can use to your advantage in particular
    Spec recommendation: MM, Glaive Toss

Tectus:
    -Can run through red smoke with Deterrance
    Spec recommendation: MM, Barrage

Brackenspore:
    -Hunters aren't affected by Mind Fungus from what I saw.

Twin Ogron:
    -Deterrance through fire

Ko'ragh:
    -Hunters are obviously best for shield duty with Disengage and best movement DPS
    Spec recommendation: MM, Glaive Toss. Barrage is scumbag, as it's the melee's job to care take of adds in P2, not ranged. Just DPS boss.

Imperator Mar'gok:
    -Deterrance works on Force Nova
    -Deterrance negates all damage of Arcane Wrath, we used 3 Hunters for bouncing the Wrath until it was gone always, worked very well since 1 Hunter could always Disengage+Deterrance the last stack
    -Disengage over Force Nova works also, you still take damage, but since you move much faster in the air than on ground which equals to less damage taken.

Chain Hurl on Kargath catches both you and your pet with no bugs/issues, so running BM for this fight is pretty good for utility in that way.

We ran Blood DK/Rogue/Unholy DK/BM hunter/resto druid for our chain hurl team and it worked extremely well for cleaving down a huge amount of the adds off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by natelikewhoa View Post
    Chain Hurl on Kargath catches both you and your pet with no bugs/issues, so running BM for this fight is pretty good for utility in that way.

We ran Blood DK/Rogue/Unholy DK/BM hunter/resto druid for our chain hurl team and it worked extremely well for cleaving down a huge amount of the adds off the bat.
    Shouldn't send a Hunter up there in all honesty, being MM and tunneling boss is far better than sending a mediocre spec there and being pretty bad when you aren't in the stands. We sent Druid healer, DPS DK(for Grip), Balance Druid and Demo Warlock and of course a tank, whichever had stacks. We only got to see 1 Chain Hurl though.

Deleted
    The big aoe dot on the raid from brackenspore, which is usually healed by the green (?) mushroom can be blocked with deterence. Especially since youre outside of the group sometimes to block those spore shooters (which are also blocked by det. i think), that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    MM is far better for Tectus, you are doing single-target for 80% of the fight and there is not really that much movement. Warcraft Logs our Normal Butcher kill, my ST uptime was 84% which is pretty high for pretty much first pull of the boss beyond P1 and raid leading.
    MM is fine for all fights on normal. On heroic, Tectus is a little more intense. ST uptime will not be anywhere near that high unless you get lucky with dust debuff.

Deleted
    Tectus: you can disengage over the red smoke on the floor.( only did it with disengage glyphed )

7+ Year Old Account
    Brackenspore: with "Glyph of Aspect of the Cheetah" you will retain the movement speed buff from the Aspect even after using flamethrower and taking the debuff damage. Useful on Heroic when things get a little more hectic and I'd assume Mythic as well. Haven't tried it without the glyph

Tagging for updates. Nothing useful to contribute atm :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Stop equating casual to bad, they're two different things.
    Casual refers to time/effort spent.
    Bad refers to skill.
    Your English isn't casual, it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Walajanilu View Post
    MM is fine for all fights on normal. On heroic, Tectus is a little more intense. ST uptime will not be anywhere near that high unless you get lucky with dust debuff.
    Normal -> Heroic should only be damage increase, not sure why they would increase ability usage rates since they rarely do that even for highest difficulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing big but if you want save some seconds on your Sniper Training on Butcher you can time your Disengage so that when the knockback comes, you can Disengage back in mid-air, pretty like some of us did with Iron Juggernaut's knockback.

Deleted
    any1 notice kill-shot not resetting on koragh? as far as i noticed, you get to use kill shot when his shield is <35%, but it wont reset if you use it because the reset check is apparently done with koraghs actual hp?

also if koragh is <35% hp but his shield is not, KS will light up but you will not be able to use it, so dont be like me and hammer on your kill-shot which does not go off D:

Brackenspore:

Disengage (with posthaste talent)+cheetah macro to achieve maximum speed before using flamethrower to maximize burninating.

Also used in brackenspore but can be a general thing, macro camo to deterrence. The pulsing damage can be immuned with deterrence, so if you use the macro just before dying to aoe pulse you'll live and help healers marginally through improved camo. You need to use deter before camo however, as going the other way (camo then deter) just breaks camo.

Also confirmed that right clicking to remove flamethrower buff in order to drop flamethrower and reset "ammo" as was done on some beta kills does NOT work

Ninja edit: sort of obvious but perhaps worth it to summon pet with animal bond glyph while charging your magic shield if you are the person handling the kinetic bombs (I forget real name) on kor'agh. Damage reductions don't work but healing thoroughput increases should. Definitely not necessary on normal but it helps your healers a bit as they are spamming you
    Last edited by Cutsman; 2014-12-04 at 02:18 PM.