Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    Can't wait until they inevitably remove it next expansion.
    Or at least make it a tank stat. Sadly it seems it's not so bad for other specs. For instance it's also the worst stat for my demo lock, but it's much closer than for shadow, and I've heard it's not that bad for mages either.
    Last edited by Dierdre; 2014-12-14 at 01:58 AM.

Of course versatility is a little bit worse as a DPS stat, a third of its power goes to the damage reduction. It would be a ridiculous stat if it gave similar dps power in addition to its damage reduction - it would be everyone's first stat priority. Sometimes staying alive a little bit longer and needing less healing attention can be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyyoloswag View Post
    Of course versatility is a little bit worse as a DPS stat, a third of its power goes to the damage reduction. It would be a ridiculous stat if it gave similar dps power in addition to its damage reduction - it would be everyone's first stat priority. Sometimes staying alive a little bit longer and needing less healing attention can be useful.
    I agree, and in theory it would be a nice stat; but the damage reduction component is almost negligible. E.g. my feral druid has 1.2 gazillion versatility (798, and not by personal choice), which results in a 3.07% damage reduction. So if you died from 2 tics of X, you'll likely still die from 2 tics of X; your healers won't heal you for 3% less, healing spell output is the same regardless of your versatility, so if they were gonna heal you, they'll still heal you even if you took 3% less damage than the rest of your raid. And that 3% is from actually stacking versatility (again, not by personal choice ).

It's a valuable stat for tanks who take constant damage and use AM, but only then is the damage reduction really noticeable.

Versatility is an extremely poorly designed secondary stat. It was mentioned they were going to look into it and possibly remove or redesign it before the end of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    I agree, and in theory it would be a nice stat; but the damage reduction component is almost negligible. E.g. my feral druid has 1.2 gazillion versatility (798, and not by personal choice), which results in a 3.07% damage reduction. So if you died from 2 tics of X, you'll likely still die from 2 tics of X; your healers won't heal you for 3% less, healing spell output is the same regardless of your versatility, so if they were gonna heal you, they'll still heal you even if you took 3% less damage than the rest of your raid. And that 3% is from actually stacking versatility (again, not by personal choice ).

It's a valuable stat for tanks who take constant damage and use AM, but only then is the damage reduction really noticeable.
    I agree it's a poorly designed stat compared to the rest, but the damage reduction can still be useful. Take Tectus's Tectonic Upheaval, over 12 seconds he deals ~350000 damage to you. With 3% damage reduction, he deals 10500 less damage to you. Converted to HPS, that is 875 health per second over 12 seconds. Over the course of the entire fight it will be less average HPS, but it's useful when raidwide damage is constantly coming in.

It's not much, but it's something, and it makes it hard to quantify the value of versatility because the value of the damage reduction is different for every fight and it doesn't contribute to your total damage done.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyyoloswag View Post
    Take Tectus's Tectonic Upheaval, over 12 seconds he deals ~350000 damage to you. With 3% damage reduction, he deals 10500 less damage to you. Converted to HPS, that is 875 health per second over 12 seconds. Over the course of the entire fight it will be less average HPS, but it's useful when raidwide damage is constantly coming in.
    That's my point: If raidwide damage were constantly coming in, it might be very slightly helpful. But that's not the case in any current fight. During tectonic upheaval your healers will be AoE healing raidwide until upheaval stops and the raid is reasonably topped off. My 3% (by stacking versatility) makes no real difference, healers won't say "Hey, this guy is taking a little less damage, I'll heal him less with my tranquility". You make a much larger difference both in damage done and taken by throwing a PWS before/during tectonic upheaval.

Versatility is cute as a concept, but it's useless in practice for someone who doesn't take constant damage throughout the fight.