Can someone tell me why my healing is so shitty? (Log included)

My character is "Notmorei" in this High Imperator (H) log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...f#type=healing

Gear:

I'm mainspec shadow, and I gear Haste/Multistrike so I can use the Multistrike for holy when I need to heal. I have 1157 spirit in my "healing gear" (a 615 spirit trinket, 630 spirit neck, 608 legendary cloak from last expac, and 680 spirit ring). The other priest in the group said he only has 100 more spirit than me, so I'm certain it's not a gear issue.

I tried out different talents throughout the night, I ended up going with Solace, ToF. I never bothered changing my lvl 100 talent because the other priest had said WoM was the only one worth using for holy, but the h2p guide says CoP is good, so I might try that out next time.

My basic strategy was to Renew people who took a little damage, or just renew spam before force novas/abberations etc. I used WoM in a similar manner, and saved lightwell for big aoe phases as well. I'd CoH as soon as a force nova went out or when the whole group took damage. I was playing very conservatively but still ended up with mana issues AND crappy healing. I'd switch to Chastise and just smite/chastise the boss or add when there was down time (basically p1 and p2) to conserve mana/dps something. I switched to serenity at times when the tank was getting trucked. I can't remember if I was in Serenity or Sanctuary at the end.

Why is my hps so much lower than the other priests? Is this something I can fix with practice?

Whatever you're reading on h2p might be outdated. Clarity of Purpose is indeed bad and should pretty much never be used.

I use Lightwell on cooldown, because, why not? If it's triggering, like you need the heals to be going out anyways.

Don't bother using a 608 cloak either. Use your 630 one, even if there's no spirit on it. Your basic healing pattern is okay, but the biggest difference between you and the other priest is he cast Renew about 50% more than you did.

Looks like the other priest has better gear, you have a high amount of mastery enchant for multistrike not haste as there is not any haste caps anymore, 1k spirit is enough with solace i manage on that alone as does Isheria.

It will improve go for coh/renew/pom glyph i have found those to be very good, we should be going for Multistrike>haste>crit>mastery i believe that is what i am doing.

I cast renew on anyone taking damage and pom on cd, also coh on cd whenever there is incoming damage my guild not started on hcs yet but will this week.

As the poster before me said CoW is rubbish for holy stick with words of mending its really good.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Kacie; 2014-12-08 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typos

Deleted
    ditch the mastery.

In looking at the logs, and I'm no priest expert, you are getting echo of light healing a fair bit, but being sniped by renew from the other priest.

This tells me he is healing quicker than you and hitting harder, and has virtually no mastery. Its a case of his gear is better or more optimised, and he is getting heals off before you on targets whilst you are casting likely. your EoL is ticking on targets that take additional dmg, or are not healed to full.

practise as to where to land heals most effectively will balance it out a bit, as will gear changes. But that heal distribution is not anythign to worry about. Healing is a limited sum game, in that there is only so much dmg to heal, so you generally dont get equal heal amounts between healers as even small discrepancies in healing style of teh class, fight dynamics and gear levels can impact on which character will get more effective heals off. it in no way means those doing less hps are contributing less.

I WANT to give my two cents, but my guild hasn't progressed to Imperator yet. The longest fight I've had to heal is ~6 minutes (butcher). That being said, I'll mention what I notice.

1) I thought you said you use Solace? It looks like you're using Mindbender. Do you find yourself running out of mana? If not, ignore this point.

2) If you are truly going for max HPS, you aren't casting CoH on cooldown. You have 227 renew casts and only 42 CoH casts. That roughly one CoH every 5-6 renew casts. You should only need to cast renew 3-4 times to cast CoH again (if you're in Chakra: Sanctuary), and that doesn't include PoM.

3) Your whole group's overhealing is through the roof. Maybe you don't need to be healing as much as you think anyway. For a fight with lots of movement, your numbers seem fine. Especially for an offspec.
    Last edited by akawhisp; 2014-12-08 at 11:27 PM.

not going to repeat the other advice but one additional note. cascade is cheap and can do a lot of healing without any additional input. even if it overheals by 30-40% its cheap enough to be used a lot more often.

- - - Updated - - -

one more thing. your heals aren't shitty. maybe not quite perfect, but neither are mine.

now the last priest i looked at with prayer of healing as his number 1 healing spell on butcher, that's shitty

Thanks very much for all the feedback!

I'll be switching my haste gemming to multistrike (it will work just as well for my shadow spec anyway), and use Cascade and CoH more. I was worried about CoH overhealing and conserving mana for the final phase, so I wasn't really using it on CD (letting renews/healing rain/healing stream top everyone off when there was no raid damage). And at the end, I sort of ended up panicking and resorting to my CM healing method of binding heal/flash heal spam to get Serendipity, then PoH to keep people alive, while ignoring PoM/CoH/Renew. Feels like I don't have the GCDs for those, but maybe they are worth the GCDs?

Regarding Solace/Mindbender, I guess I ended up switching to Mindbender at the end to try it out. I think I prefer solace though. I have yet to try Surge of Light, but I've looked at some logs of priests using it. I think free instant Flash Heals that stack up Serendipity sound pretty nice, but only an 8% chance made me avoid it. I'm going to try out SoL some time this week.

I would be careful about overhealing the phases where you have time to heal people. Plopping a renew on a dps can get their health up before they take damage again on that fight for the first phase. As it is a long fight, mana conservation is the name of the game in my opinion. Our guild made it a goal to never go below 85-90% mana in the first phase. With this specific parse:
    -I wouldn't cast mending. It doesn't do enough healing to warrant casting. Let Words of mending do passive 5-7% healing and take the actual spell off your bars. (this is also a highly contested issue within the priest community, but I side with not using it)
    -Except for emergencies, I would stay in AOE chakra the entire time. Chakra dancing will probably end up in less overall healing unless you have practiced it. This gives you more circle of healings which have priority over everything else in dmg phases.
    -Lightwell only heals if someone drops below 50% health, then it will take out a charge every second and heal a person. So you can keep it down permanently and should always be on CD
    -Precasting cascade on yourself before AOE parts of the fight (lets say ~3-5 seconds before damage) results in little overhealing and does a lot for 1gcd. I'd use this whenever the AOE add comes out or more than a quarter of the raid needs healing.
    -Always keep renew on the tanks and the stupidest melee. There is always at least one stupid melee it's a rule of raiding.
    -Unless the tank almost died multiple times, flash heal is NEVER worth casting. We don't have the regen for it. You can bubble in an emergency or switch chakras for the burst instant heal. Just remember to go back to AOE chakra. In tight tank healing spots you can also put GA on the tank and let the other healers go ham while you can still raid heal (ie renew a bunch).

CM healing and raid healing are completely different, because in CM healing you utilize glyph of binding heal to keep renews rolling. This saves a GCD and increases 5 person HPS. But it's a lot of mana. You could go this entire fight with casting only instant cast spells and divine hymn when it's needed and do very, very well. You can also jump while healing which gives style points.

Deleted
    Many people tend to look at healing logs to see one healer lower then another and instantly think X healer is not as good as Y healer but they fail to consider that it might be caused by something as simple as Y healer healing the missing health before X can resulting in one healer doing more hps then the other.

So what can you do to resolve this?, be quicker to react to incoming damage.

There is only so much healing that can be done during a fight and due to how normal healing is done bar absorbs chances are the healers wont have equal amounts of HPS.

For example lets say an encounter requires 10k hps and you have two exact copies of a holy priest with both capable of way more then 10k hps, upon review of the logs its likely you wont see both healers on 5k hps but one pulling ahead of the other . Basically what I am saying is that sometimes as far as healing goes healers can't max out and top the meters and that there is nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2014-12-09 at 09:00 AM.

Deleted
    Looks to me that you have a lot of aoe healing, you could swap to disc and destroy them all in absorbs if you're that worried. prob best to prevent the damage on everyone whilst others heal it up on that fight.

In my raid we are using 7 healers on normal silly i know but we are 3 holy priests, 2 resto shamans a paladin and a resto druid, so yeah i do overheal abit, but the other priest went disc and i thought it was good but then he switched back to holy because he wasn't first on meters i hate that meters are a big thing that they go by in guilds and they did as this priest is a officer but i need my shadow specc for daileys or i would play disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacie View Post
    In my raid we are using 7 healers on normal silly i know but we are 3 holy priests, 2 resto shamans a paladin and a resto druid, so yeah i do overheal abit, but the other priest went disc and i thought it was good but then he switched back to holy because he wasn't first on meters i hate that meters are a big thing that they go by in guilds and they did as this priest is a officer but i need my shadow specc for daileys or i would play disc.
    I use my Disc spec for dailies... might be slower.. but I'm invincible.
    DoT, shield, Nova spam! (with 70% reflect glyph)

Hehe can do them as holy in red chakra but shadow is faster we need a 3rd specc to duel hehe xD

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just a quick response (I didnt look at your logs) but the best way to compare performance is look at the logs of discs priests who seem to be doing well.

First, look at the spells they are using and the # of times they are using them. This wont tell you when to cast them or who to cast the spells on, but it shows you what spells they are relying on.

Second, look at their armories. Look at their stats compared to yours and see if you could make some changes there as well.